Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for Foster homes...

Kismutt
May 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Kismutt is looking for committed foster homes for dogs of all breeds and sizes. All vetting, neuter/spays, required surgeries etc. are done *prior* to the pet being placed in foster care. Food is provided as well if you wish.

If you live in the London, Stratford, Woodstock, Ingersoll, area, please contact Kimberly at kismutt@rogers.com

If you live in the greater Toronto area, please contact Linda at kismutt@rogers.com

Warmly,
Kimberly & Linda
www.kismutt.com
www.canadanopuppymills.com

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM
This is an interesting way of doing things, having everything completed before the dog goes to the foster but am wondering how you make this possible... ie.
1) Where do the dogs remain until foster home is available or everything is completed to go into foster home?
2) Also, I know that you pull from stateside Kill Shelters, which is great but do you Parvo test as the first step prior to any other vet care? As some of the pups have received a 5-in-1 do you quarantine for 14 days instead of testing? I'm just trying to figure out the logistics as I know Parvo can be rampant in many of these shelters. It's a tough one to keep out and I sympathize with these shelters and their daily battle.

Any insights would be appreciated as although, I have not received a dog from a kill shelter as yet, have been considering it. :)

Kismutt
May 16th, 2005, 09:52 AM
This is an interesting way of doing things, having everything completed before the dog goes to the foster but am wondering how you make this possible... ie.:)

Dogs are fostered at my home until spay/neuters, vaccinations, required surgeries and dentals if required, are done. The dog can then be placed in foster care. We take no chances of sending an unaltered pet into a foster home.

1) Where do the dogs remain until foster home is available or everything is completed to go into foster home?.

My home and Linda's home. (Linda and I are the registered owners of Kismutt)

2) Also, I know that you pull from stateside Kill Shelters, which is great but do you Parvo test as the first step prior to any other vet care? As some of the pups have received a 5-in-1 do you quarantine for 14 days instead of testing? I'm just trying to figure out the logistics as I know Parvo can be rampant in many of these shelters. It's a tough one to keep out and I sympathize with these shelters and their daily battle.

Yes and Yes. We have pulled one dog from stateside as a plea came to us. We are fortunate we have the means and space to quarantine.

Any insights would be appreciated as although, I have not received a dog from a kill shelter as yet, have been considering it. :)

I understand the desire to want to help them all, but unless you have an appropriate place to quarantine the dog, I wouldn't recommend pulling more than 1 dog at a time.

Warmly,
Kimberly
www.kismutt.com

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought that quarantine would be the best bet and have the necessary means to do so. Just haven't pulled stateside as of yet. :thumbs up

Duchess
May 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
We take no chances of sending an unaltered pet into a foster home.

Warmly,
Kimberly
www.kismutt.com

As a foster for a rescue group, I found this statement a little unusual. Do you pre-screen your foster homes? It sounds like there's a trust issue here. Just curious...

Kismutt
May 16th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Foster homes are carefully screened. We prefer to have the dogs spayed/neutered and vetting done so there are no worries for the foster Mom's/Dads.

We certainly will send home required medications with the dogs to their foster homes, but we like the dogs to be fully vetted prior.

As a foster for a rescue group, I found this statement a little unusual. Do you pre-screen your foster homes? It sounds like there's a trust issue here. Just curious...

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Doesnt sound like a trust issue to me, it sounds responsible to have the dogs altered before they go to someones home, to be 1000% sure no pups happen, and the health needs taken care of ASAP

when i eventually get a house I would so love to foster, unfortunatly in my apartment Sam is all the dog I can handle, I hope you are able to find some safe and loving fosters to help you out

Eleni

Spring Garden
May 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM
This is an interesting way of doing things, having everything completed before the dog goes to the foster but am wondering how you make this possible... ie.
1) Where do the dogs remain until foster home is available or everything is completed to go into foster home?

Classic do as I say & not as I do huh?

Hey kettle.. this is pot "you're black".

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Classic do as I say & not as I do huh?

Hey kettle.. this is pot "you're black".
Hiya Bugsy, long time no hear from! :rolleyes: