Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone use OUT! Pet stain and odor remover from Wal Mart?

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I have used a lot of Nature's Miracle trying to get the pee smell out from potty training my pup. I saw the Out at Wal Mart and it's about half the price so I was thinking about trying it. Does it work?

My dad says to just use vinegar. Does it really work? If so I'll start using that since it's a lot cheaper. I know it stinks at first but once it dries the smell goes away.

raingirl
May 15th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Use Vinegar. It doesn't bleach, kills 99% of germs and bacteria, natural enzymatic deodorizer...and you can but it cheap. If you have serious stains, the local Bulk Barns near me sells this stuff that is Vinegar, but a higher acedic acid content (I think regular vinegar is like 10%...this stuff is 25%)

Right now I am in the middle of using up all my other cleaning products so I can use just vinegar. It gets rid of grime on the tiles, grime in the bathtub, cleans stainless steal sinks well, use it to wipe down counters, wash windows, everything! The only cleaners I will keep are toilet bowl cleaners (I need a really clean toilet, and vinegar is hard to get under the rim...you need something thick), lysol spray for garbage cans, and maybe ajax for touch stains like on the stove or tub. Baking soda can be used instead of ajax, but you need more and baking soda isn't cheap (unfortunately)...do they sell baking soda in bulk?

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 10:05 AM
So, will vinegar work even on old pee spots that I missed and are already dry? It's more the smell than the stain that I'm worried about since you can't even see it in our carpet.

raingirl
May 15th, 2005, 10:08 AM
yeah. Just pour it on, let it sit a bit, then blot with a paper towel and let dry...should work!

SnowDancer
May 15th, 2005, 10:23 AM
raingirl - I happen to know that baking soda is sold in bulk, but don't know whether it is available to the general consumer. I know this only because when I was at the groomer's, the assistant asked her boss to pick up a big box at the store because they were out and she needed to do a final baking soda rinse on a skunked dog. I mentioned that baking soda, vinegar and water have become my cleaners of choice due to allergies and she agreed, saying she always buys huge tubs of it in bulk for use in the grooming business and at home. I find that while vinegar is definitely needed for the shine, baking soda is often needed to cut the grease - a good baking soada paste works wonders. The 2 combined are really good for draine cleaning - a really good foam gets going. I once saw an article on a home made pet stain remover using baking soda, dish detergent, water and vinegar - and letting it sit. Then if any odour remained to use a product such as Nature's Miracle. Actually I tried my own mix on the ceramic in the basement - unfortunately just tossing it down - without regard for the amount of baking soda - so a bit hard to clean up - but I have to tell you - at the end of the day, even with a final application of Nature's Miracle, the result was much better.

KessyWessy
May 15th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I remember buying baking soda at The Bulk Bark, I think it was about 5 years ago. It was in a bin and you had to scoop out how much you wanted into a container. So the general public should be able to buy it like that. I have to idea what the price was, though.

I've never seen it sold in a big box before, maybe thats only for wholesale?

**edit: I mean the Bulk BarN or course, but I'm leaving my typo because I think its funny. Dogs have invaded my subconsious.

kandy
May 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I use Out - it works really well. It seems to take away the smell, and the stain.

Shaykeija
May 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I use out when Piper gets the urge to spead his cat perfume around. Works like a charm.

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Ok, got another question. Can I just fill my carpet shampooer/steam cleaner with full strength OUT and clean my carpets with it, since it is supposed to be used full strenght? It says you can use it in shampooers and steam cleaners.

Karin
May 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Just saw this thread after replying to your other one. Oh well...

Try the vinegar. Even on the old spots, it does clean and your dog will not go back to that site.....they hate vinegar and it is one of the best training tools around.

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 10:16 PM
You're right, she does hate it. I put her in her crate in my room to take a nap one day while I pulled out the table and sprayed vinegar on all the pee spots til they were soaked. Then I went around with a towel and soaked them all up after they sat a while. When she came back into the dining room, she walked under the table, took a sniff, and started snorting like she had just smelled the nastiest thing in the world. Another time I caught her peeing and cleaned it up with vinegar, and forgot to put her in the crate where she couldn't see me. She started growling at the spray bottle! It was too funny.

Bearsmom
May 16th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I just bought the Woolite Petstain and Odour remover carpet and upholstery cleaner from Walmart....just used it on the carpets and the stains and odours are GONE. I'm so stoked!

meb999
May 16th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I also use vinegar -- Personaly I find it works even better than all the pet-store stuff. I also use vinegar for all the cleaning in the kitchen. It works REALLY well at cleaning out tuff stuck-on food in the fridge PLUS it's non-toxic!! BONUS!!