Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

when is spaying normally done?

bremarie03
May 15th, 2005, 04:41 AM
I ask because our pup was spayed before she left the shelter at only 8 weeks old, and I've noticed various posts here on the board about having to wait to get dogs spayed until they're a certain age. I'm wondering if the shelter was wrong to spay her so early, if they are endangering animals? We were just told when we chose her that we could pick her up in 2 days after she was spayed and chipped. They require al animals they adopt to be spayed before they leave the shelter, which I understand, I just hope they aren't risking the animals' health for this policy.....any thoughts?

Eleni
May 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM
early spaying is fine, its actually very responsible of the shelter to have that policy!!

enjoy your new pup

Eleni

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I think the ideal time, at least our vet prefers to do it this way, is 5 1/2 - 6 mos. I think it's just easier to do it then. But it doesn't hurt to do it early. Our vet said that in special circumstances they do it that early. I would think being in the shelter is special enough circumstance.

bremarie03
May 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
thanks for the replies. I hoped there wouldn't be any "Oh my God, that's horrible" type replies that would make me worry more! :o

I agree that it's a very responsible policy to require "fixing" before they leave; we all know what happens when it isn't done, and where the resulting critters would likely end up! They sure don't need anymore residents at the shelter!

Thanks again.

melanie
May 15th, 2005, 07:49 PM
my girl was done at 10weeks and is a happy healthy 9yo now (GSDX). she does not have fully formed nipples on her chest, she does have sort of nipples, they are tiny and very cute, but thats the only problem i ever had, and i would not call cute nipples much of a problem.

what a reat shelter, enjoy your new addition to your family :D

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM
There is a thread from this past week about this very issue:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15000