Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Composting!!!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 14th, 2005, 10:48 PM
My husband just went and picked us up a composter. I never realized how much you can actually compost. Napkins,coffee filters, bread, weeds, leaves, coffee not to mention fruits and veggies and grass and leaves!! and I can turn it into soil for my garden and save money on buying it and I will probably also save money on garbage bags as I was throwing all that stuff away before. and less crap to go in the landfill. I am very pschyed (sp) about this!!!

raingirl
May 14th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Composters are great. Been using them for 20 years...except now. They don't really work in apartments unless you have a vermicomposter (worm one)..but they are very slow.

Be careful about grass cuttings though. You can't put that much in (just a thin layer) as they don't compost fast at all. Best thing with grass cuttings is to leave it on your lawn as it makes it grow thicker and greener from the decomposing nitrogen in the cuttings (I hate it when I see people raking their grass cuttings up!)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 14th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Yes it not to many grass clippings, you can even put hair in it human and pet!

Crazy Hippie
May 15th, 2005, 12:15 PM
It's so nice to see people caring for the environment! I compost as much as possible too...btw my stepmom didn't believe me about NOT putting PLASTIC in the compost at her house. If you're going to put plastic in there, it's a garbage pit, not a compost, right? Sorry, we don't get along and I love poking fun at her, hehe.

melanie
May 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM
the best way to get the most effecient use out of grass clipping is to use it as mulch. put it very thick around the base of all plants (only mulch in as far as the longest branch on the plant, that is leave a circle of space at the base of tree without mulch). water it in and i guarantee you will need to water less, have excellent trees due to all the warmth and water conservation and it saves you bucket loads of money on mulch and watering.

you can compost most things, old cloths, all peels and food scraps (dont do meat, it jsut gets smelly). all your paprers, glossy cartons and mags, the lot. just be sure to airate it often, that will increase your breakdown.

if you use animal poop, make sure it is in small amounts and mixed well. i ahve been told that horse poo is way too strong for household compost and they should be composted seperatly (but poo makes great compost its really worth it :thumbs up ).

and hey, it might not hurt to chuck in a few worms if you have not already done so, they will love it and multiply and break down your stuff faster whilst doing you a massive favor, just dotn get africa night crawlers, or they will do just that (a friend spent alot of moeny on them, put them out nd by morning they had all crawled away).

go on compost all you can, trial and error all play a big part. and if you put in something wrong, you jsut pull it out again, no biggy.

we have just been blessed by the local council, who have given each house a big green waste bin for all compostable materials, they will pick it up on rubbish day, they have created a huge compost atthe tip and will make our household scraps in to compost we can buy back (at a discount for locals). it thrills me to bits to see council moving foreward in a more boiodivers and ecologically sound manner.

yay for recycling, composting and jsut using common sense. just remember the 4 R's - REDUCE, RETHINK, REUSE AND RECYCLE. live by that little mantra and i cant see anyone going to far wrong. also its more fun, you cna rethink and ocme up with some wonderfully useful stuff, its also rewarding and costsaving to do also.

HAVE FUN

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM
We are going to set it up tommorow I just wish I didn't recyle the ice cream bucket now I have to go buy ice cream again darn!!!. The boys are having a great time hiding in the compost they open up the door and lock themselves in. Its still sitting in our living room

raingirl
May 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Melanie, we have a similar program like that here. It's called a Green Box. You put all your compostables in it, and they pic it up every week. Each city has a big compost heap, and you can go and buy compost cheap from them! It's great. Not all the cities have it yet, but it's slowly expanding. We don't have it where I live now, but my mother has it and loves it. And they give you two buckets, so if you have a lot, you have extra room!

Schwinn
May 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM
We have a composter that came with our house. I'd forget about it half the time, except the odd time I had left over pizza to throw away. Now it's gone...freaky...anyway, what exactly do you do with compost? Is it just basically dirt? I used some of it to cover the bare spots on our lawn, and I seeded it. Does anyone know of a good resource about what you can put in, and what to do with it, etc? I figure that right now, our garbage pail is usually never full on garbage day, but once Jr is here, we'll be greatly increasing our garbage out-put and looking for ways to reduce our curbside waste (especially since it costs us money for anything over one pail).

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Here is a link to a composting site. Its all sort of new to us to, and yes you can use it in your garden like dirt or soil.

http://www.perc.ca/waste-line/rrr/compost/faq.html

Just don't put meat in it :yuck:

melanie
May 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM
compost is a wonderful material ,mixed with a bit of dirt it is the most wonderful potting mix and great for gardens. or you can use it straight on the garden for a fertalizer. if you build any gardens use compost straight or jsut mix it in with the substrate materials (lower soils). and dont be afraid to offer a bag to your neighbors, its good to share great soils. have a criuse around the web, there is a million and one resourses on composting.

you can also compost with worms in a worm farm, easy to make and really effecient and a good idea for small areas or for my dog, she loooooves a good compost heap, stinky girl (we have a bin compost now, no more snacks for charlie).

and they even have composting toilets. my favouriste is the 'Clivus Multrum' (actually flushes and stuff looks like a normal loo) it is used in many aussie national parks, i love the bloody things and think their pretty darn cool. but thats an old design and there are heaps of new ones. the compost from these toilets is realy the top stuff you cant get better than it. (i jsut refuse to have one that requires stiring yourself, nope the Clivus for this bunny).

oh dotn forget to add alll your paper, and disposable nappies should never be put in, they take many years to break down properly (although old cloth nappies are brilliant in compost). PLEASE GO FORTH AND COMPOST, YOUR PLANET THANKS YOU FOR USING COMMON SENSE.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM
Well I finally set up the composter today, wanted to do it the day we got it but hubby kept saying tommorow I promise, then we couldn't agree on where to put it then it was tommorow, and tommorow again I promise so he went golfing today so I decided I couldn't wait again until tommorow what I could do today and decided it was time to set it up so it is now set up where he wanted it, beside our house next to our garbage can, my only worry is that people might throw their garbage into it which hopefully they won't as long as its compostable I don't mind. We have no lack of compostable stuff in our yard and house and think we could even use a second composter for the backyard. I told my nieghbour about my composter and she said I have a garbarater and that works great....obviously she cares about her enviornment. :mad: some people just don't get it
:) happy composting