Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs on leash.

Eleni
May 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM
this is more a behavioural question then training but it semed mroe appropriate to put it here.

Sam has a Jack russel Terrier named molly that is his absolute best friend, they just love one another,

they always play inside,

however when we have been outside and they are both leashed and they greet one another they nip each other??

they dont do it inside and off leash.

this is puzzleing to me? is it that we are controlling them on leash and they dont tolerate each other well i teh scenario?

or are they being protective or what?

sam isnt as bad, but molly gets real timid and I worry that hes tryign to dominate her.

however the min you get them together inside its like a great big love fest they play with toys together and get along perfectly with no nipping or timidness from either of them

ive tries putting sam in a sit when shes around outside but his leash training is still a challenge, hes great inside on a leash, in the hallway and lobby on the leash but the second we step out the door its like he looses his mind.

a challenge that we are still working on

Eleni

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM
My Eskimo goes to socialization once a week. Once at the meeting place he immediately joins the other dogs behind the gate - note - not always the same dogs - but always the same "place". He goes for an hour walk with whatever mix of dogs is going that day. Everyone has a great time together. Each dog seems to feel confident and secure that they will be welcomed by all other dogs in that venue. Unfortunately when walking my dog outside he has been growled at etc. by dogs who look likes his "friends". Perhaps when Sam and "Jack Russell" meet outdoors there are different vibes. My dog has to date never had another dog enter our house - for the first time in our lives we have only one dog and one cat. I am not so sure he would welcome even his best friends from socialization to his home. I am just grateful that he recognized the young lady who walks and boards him as needed when she came to our house to pick him up. He recognized her on sight which was a big relief. I must try having her bring one of her dogs into the house to see what happens - but I suspect I know.

tenderfoot
May 14th, 2005, 12:09 PM
If your leash is tight in the slightest bit then you are putting the dog’s body in an assertive/dominate position which can be read by the other dog as aggressive and it puts them on the defensive. Even a Yorkie could look assertive/dominate to a Rottie - size doesn't matter its all about attitude which is conveyed through body language.
Leash aggression is common and caused by the humans interference. Humans sending the wrong energy down the leash, keeping a tight leash, or lack of leadership from the human which puts the dog emotionally out of balance.
Your mantra needs to be - loose leash - loose leash - loose leash.....

Eleni
May 15th, 2005, 09:37 AM
ah makes total sence I was holding him thightly because he jumps and if i give him slack he will be all over people.

next time ill try the loose leash

Eleni

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Statistically a dog on a leash is 3 times more likely to bite than a dog off leash... If a doggy thinks he is restrained they can become aggressive. When people come into our dog park with the leash on they end up with a swarm of people around them telling them to take the leash off...Most people think they are protecting their dogs when really the dog doesn't feel it that way at all.

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I never knew that, Guess I assumed that a dog offleash is mroe likely to bite because its not restrained.

I wish I could trust sam offleash but hes not quite there yet, his recall is good about 90% of the time, and thats in my brothers fenced in yard.

I just cant risk him being in the 10% when there is a car or some other danger and him not recalling properly.

hes coming along, slowly but surely.

keeping his attention is such a challenge, indoors its good but outside it takes alot of work on both our part.

gladly we both are enjoying putting the work into it so its not as tedious as it sounds.

Eleni