Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

buying a bed frame

raingirl
May 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM
we finally decided to buy a bed frame this weekend as a lot of stores have sales on them right now. We have had my new mattress on the floor since Oct. when I bought it!

Anyone have any tips? Horror stories? Things to look out for?

We know to stay away from places like Leons and the Brick. We are hitting Ikea, Sears, the Bay, and a couple of smaller places here in Brampton.

Is a wood bed better than a metal bed? Which one is less likely to squeak in the end?

I want one that is a canopy/four poster so it can have curtains, and Ikea has one, and a local store has one that is similar. THis is the Ikea one which is is on sale now, and it comes with the curtain things which the other doesn't:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22181_PE107060_S4.jpg

Lizzie
May 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Would the curtains be a problem for Odin?? If he is around them he might get his nails caught when lifting himself up to take a look...

Ikea beds are alright...we have one...they don't have room for a boxspring though. We have an expensive mattress so it helps give us more comfort. If you have a basic mattress though, you may find their slat bottoms a little rigid....without the boxspring you lose a lot of the umph you'd expect from a bed.

raingirl
May 14th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Odin isn't allowed in the bedroom, so we don't have to worry about that.

I heard that most of the newer Ikea beds are made for boxsprings now. We didn't end up at Ikea yet..we saw a few closer by that we liked better (cheaper).

The one we wanted to look at at Sears is catalogue order only...and I don't trust that.

Lizzie
May 14th, 2005, 08:25 PM
As far as I know they are still made the same way. We just got ours a year ago and it's still for sale there now.

The one in the pic you've posted wouldn't have a box spring. If you had one your mattress might slide around as there would be nothing holding it in place.

They are still okay without a boxspring if you like a harder mattress, or buy a mattress with a pillow top etc to give you the cushion you need. The mattress/box spring sets in the bedding stores will feel NOTHING like they will on an ikea bed...ours certainly didnt! The sales lady was at least nice enough to remind us of this!

raingirl
May 14th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I guess I'm a little confused...

You see, I've never owned a "real" bed before. All the beds I previously owned were futons or twin beds that had no box spring.

Do regular beds have things that keep the mattress from sliding around? I just assumed that all beds, you put the box spring down, then you put the mattress on top... I just figured it would be the same for Ikea.

We already have a new queensize mattress and box spring that is 6 months old (got for my bday last year...I had a bed frame chosen from HBC catalogue, but it was discontinued a month before I got my mattresses and I didn't know!)

Princesss04
May 14th, 2005, 09:00 PM
We have a canopy bed it is metal. We bought our from Ebay. I will take a picture when I have the bed made later. I have all the blankets getting washed and stuff. I think all beds can squeak at time! :eek: I think wood is prolly better on that end I would think. I will get a picture for you! :D

goldenblaze
May 14th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I don't think it's the frame that would squeak but the mattress and boxspring. I too have a expensive mattress and boxspring and my bed is a sleigh bed handmade, very heavy.

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 01:10 AM
We got our yellow sofa from the Brick and didn't have a problem at all. It was delivered really quick. I have had so much trouble with Ikea stuff-- it's just not as solid as other places unless you pay the big $$$. Frankly, a smaller store may have nicer ones and better quality (better customer service). I guess it depends on your budget and if you do intend to keep it for a long time.

Lizzie
May 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Raingirl--if you have a boxspring you won't want an Ikea bed. They are not made for a boxspring and a matress...just a matress. If we had a box spring on our bed, the matress would sit well above the actual head and foot board on our Ikea bed. Ikea is made for the economic buyer---or people who like to change up their furniture styles once in a while.

If I were you I'd check out the bedding stores and see what they might have for you. If you have a boxspring I would not want to cash that in for an Ikea bed which is void of room for a boxspring (and the comfort that a boxspring brings). The sales people should know enough to tell you this too--if they don't I'd be suspicious.

Just look at the picture you've posted, imagine stacking another matress on top of the matress that is already pictured--that's what it would look like if you used your set on it...

While it isn't technically wrong to put a boxspring/mattress set onto an Ikea bed, it's just awkward I think because they make their frames smaller than normal beds so your set might meet the top of your headboard...or go over your footboard depending on the bed you choose.

Safyre
May 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM
RainGirl - If you were able to sleep with no box psring, or on a futon before, the Ikea beds should be fine for you. The box spring just gives more comfort, softer bed. Do you like a hard sleeping surface, or a softer one? Thats somethig you have to think about when buying a bed frame as well.
As for staying away from Leons, why? I purchased my matress /box spring as well as my bed frame there. The mattress set is GREAT, best price found from the 5 different stores in my city (Sears included, they are way over prised) and my bed frame, is great, no problems with it, it is metal frame, looks like wrought iron :)