Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog appetite ?

Dahlia
May 14th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Sophie is a 4 month old beagle. She used to be hungry all the time and would eat as much as she could any time you would give it to her. But for the last couple of weeks she doesn't want her breakfast, she'll eat her lunch, then she may or may not eat dinner. So she's only getting about 1/2 - 1 cup of dry food a day. She doesn't look skinny though, and she's on Nutro. Should I be worried? I'm thinking maybe she's getting tired of the food so I'm going to try changing it and see if that helps. Any other suggestions? She has been to the vet every couple of weeks lately and she says she looks perfect. Could it be just because she's not growing as fast, so she doesn't need as much?

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
As a former Beagle Mom I would be worried. I was also worried when Luke the Dachshunds Mommy posted he doesn't particularly care for food. Dachshunds are the #1 food lovers of the dog world, followed closed by Beagles. It could just be the food, but my Beagle didn't "request" a new food type until the age of 15 when he needed something softer - this would not be the case with your dog. I suggest a call to your vet's office - even just run the question by the tech or receptionist because this would raise alarm bells for me and every other Beagle owner I ever met. Despite Beagles having a different temperament than they did 25 years ago - appetite has not changed. Hope Sophie is okay. Re your other post about Sophie staying in her own neighbourhood. There is only one way to ensure that happens - stay outside with her. A fenced yard will not be secure enough unless the fence has concrete foundations deeper than Sophie can dig.

Dahlia
May 14th, 2005, 11:00 AM
It's weird because she's pooping as normal and it looks good. And she's still gaining weight. Maybe my 9 month old has been giving her more of his food than I thought. He drops little bits of bread, cheerios, goldfish crackers, etc, on the floor, but I didn't think he was dropping much. Maybe I'll try keeping Sophie out of the kitchen while he's eating and see what happens.

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I would try that and see how it goes. But if Sophie's appetite doesn't return I would call and ask the vet or as I said even ask the vet tech. Just isn't in the breed's nature not to want to eat. Beagles will generally keep eating until all reachable food has been consumed.

Dahlia
May 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM
That has been my experience with beagles, too. I think most of them would eat until they puked, then eat some more if you let them. That's what has me baffled. I think the vet's office is open today, I think I'll call real quick.