Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I wanna be Free!

Terrie
May 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Ok Ladies and Gents, I have a question
Kuma my GSD is 2 years, 4 months old and has never EVER been off a lead when I take him places, walks, to a park etc... I go to a park very early in the morning with him ( the park is GIGANTIC ) which I might add has no one in it except Kuma and I and would love to let him run loose, but i'm afraid he might not come back to me.
Right now I have him on a 27 foot retractable lead and lord knows he tries to out run the rope and gets pulled back.

Any suggestions?
If he takes off, I would never forgive myself

Thanks everyone who responds.

Lucky Rescue
May 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
GSDs are working dogs, intelligent and willing. Have you taught him "Come" at all? It shouldn't be difficult.

Here is a "quickie" course on teaching "Come".
http://www.totalcaninetraining.com/Pages/atrticles/comecmnd1.html

Don't let your dog off leash until his recall is VERY reliable.

levimh
May 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I was also scared to let my dog off leash the first time, especially since the SPCA said I should never let him off (they said he had Beagle in him), but when I did it was rewarding to see him run and jump and have so much fun. He becomes this giant goof when I let him off and he'll run around like a maniac, but always coming when I call.

Like Lucky said, if you teach him come, then you should have no problem. Once he knows come from long distances, short distances and with distractions, he should be no problem. :)

Prin
May 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Go to the hardware store and buy 100ft of nylon rope ($15) and let him run to the end of it and call him back...