Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

the kittens are here - feeding?

moo-goo
May 13th, 2005, 10:24 PM
so the kittens arrived this past weekend. they're so awesome! they must be about a month old because they're walking and getting steadier by the day. they're still nursing, which i guess is right? but i'm not sure if i should be offering them soft food yet.
i found a website which said to start giving them soft food around 4-5 weeks, but that they don't stop nursing until up to 12 weeks...this seems like a large time span! i couldn't find any information about how much to fee them though.
i am going to go by my favorite pet store on my day off, but i thought someone here might be able to offer some advice too. thanks!

Lucky Rescue
May 14th, 2005, 07:54 AM
They will continue to nurse while they are being weaned. Some will nurse as long as the mother will allow it!

Get canned kitten food and mix it with warm water to make it sloppy. Put it in a wide shallow dish and put the kittens around the rim. If they don't eat, put some on your finger and touch it to the mouths.

When they start eating, they will start using the litter box, so make sure you have a couple and that the side are low enough for the kittens to get it.

CyberKitten
May 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Lucky's advice is excellent. You can find more info at www.kittenrescue.com or kitten-rescue.org