Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Luxating Patellas and the Bunny Hop

lisa-lisa
May 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hi guys,
I have a question about luxating patellas and the "bunny hop" gait that goes with them.

My puppy was diagnosed with grade 4 luxating patellas and was sent into surgery immediately to prevent malformation of the bones in her back legs while she's still growing. I'm really pleased with my vet.

Prior to the surgery, she ran like a bunny, front legs together, back legs together. The vet said this was typical of pups with luxating patellas.

So, here's my question. It's been four weeks since the surgery now and she's just reaching a point where she's starting to be allowed to be more active. I'm noticing that she still does the bunny hop thing.

So, I'm wondering, is this just a habit of her now because she lived her first five months running that way? And if so, will she learn to run normally?

Or, should I be worried that the surgery hasn't corrected the luxating patellas?

Thanks for any insights and experiences anyone might have to offer!
Lisa

lisa-lisa
May 31st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Okay, I guess no one knew the answer to this. Surprise, the vet doesn't know why she does it either. He said her patellas are fine and that hopefully with lots of walking with a proper gate she'll learn a new way to run. Weird dog.

Here's my follow-up question:

She's an Italian Greyhound and for these little guys it's standard to take the pins out after surgery (8 weeks or so). Has anyone else been through this procedure with their dog who can tell me what to expect?