Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clipping nails

levimh
May 13th, 2005, 07:51 PM
If you cut the quick of a dogs nails, does it hurt? It doesn't seem like it hurts that much, but I'm just curious.

And also, is there any household product that you can put on the nail to stop it from bleeding, if the quick is cut?

And yes, I cut the quick by accident. First timer here. I know how to do it, but it's hard when half the nails are black and half are white. Luckily Levi still loves me. :love:

placid
May 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I've had one vet tell me "yes it does hurt" and one that said that it doesn't. I'm more inclined to say that it does.....particularly since my dog flinched more than just a little when I accidently cut her's. You're not alone there. :) If you have cornstarch on-hand it works great to stem the bood flow.

Hope this helps.

Beaglemom
May 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Cutting a dog's nails doesn't hurt. Although you would never know with all the fuss and squirming that some do! It is like trimming your own nails. The only time it hurts your dog is when you cut real close to the quick or you cut the quick itself.

You can buy a product from the vet's office or from a pet store that stops the bleeding. There are two types, a powder and stick.

I've also heard that putting the bleeding nail on a bar of soap will stop the bleeding, but I think that may sting a bit.

mafiaprincess
May 13th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Cutting the quick does seem to hurt. My roomate's dad is a vet, and she said anytime he has cut too far, the dog has pretty much screamed and tried to claw their way elsewhere..

I heard cornstarch or flour in a pinch, but usually ppl get syptic powder to use specifically for stopping bleeding and such.

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I know it hurts a cat and a bunny (They both yelped the one or two times I did it, sighhhhh!!). But if you are careful and watch the quick, you should be fine!!

Eleni
May 14th, 2005, 02:27 AM
you can get something called Quik stop, its just a powder that clots the nail when its bleeding.

id imagine it does hurt whne you cut the nails too short.

Eleni

Dahlia
May 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Our vet told me that if I accidentally cut to the quick to dip in it ground cinnamon, like you would have in your spice cabinet and that would stop the bleeding.

Prin
May 14th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Growing up we lit a match, blew it out and waited for it too cool and put it on there. It's supposedly the same compound as in the stick kind at the vet, but I have to say, this method does hurt. So does cutting the nail, in my opinion. Wherever there are nerves, there can be pain...

Supposedly back in the day there was a powder for men who cut themselves shaving. I wonder if this would work too (or if it exists anymore...)

By the way, I know what you mean about the black nails... I have 34 of them to cut. Just cut the nail level with the pad when the toe is a little extended (not forcefully extended). I leave them a bit longer and cut them more often.

kandy
May 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Our dogs nail clippers have a guard on them so that you don't cut too short.

Here's a link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=334&N=2001+113036

and a link for the quick stop powder:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1763&N=2001+113036

Hope that helps!

Dahlia
May 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
How often do you cut your dog's nails? Sophie gets hers done everytime she goes to the vet, which has been often, but she's done with her puppy shots now so I will have to start doing it myself. She just had them cut 2 wks ago and they need it again. I keep forgetting to get a pair of doggie clippers.

levimh
May 14th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your info everyone!

Dahlia - My vet told me that they need to be cut every 4-6 weeks, to keep the quick back (or up). My dog is two years old. It may be shorter for you, because puppies nails grow faster. That's about all I know. :)

Prin
May 14th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I do Boo about every 2 weeks... Jemma about once every mont and a half. Boo's grow faster than weeds. :rolleyes:

Karin
May 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM
you can get something called Quik stop, its just a powder that clots the nail when its bleeding.

id imagine it does hurt whne you cut the nails too short.

Eleni

It does hurt. If anyone has ever broken a nail past the cutical and had to rip it off...multiply that pain times ten...or more.

Quikstop is a handy tool to have on hand if you clip nails yourself. Some feed stores carry this product less expensive then buying at a vet. With using Quikstop or cornstarch (done that too in a bind), if you do cut the quick you should use a paper towel after applying and hold pressure to the nail to stop the bleeding. Remember....if you do cut a quick it does hurt, so the heart is pumping away, blood pressure is up, be patient, apply pressure until the bleeding stops.

mafiaprincess
May 14th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I have the clippers with the guard. They are good, but not perfect. If the nails aren't really really long, you can still cut too far if you aren't paying attention, or if they are so long you have to cut each one twice, there is also the possibility of cutting too far.

As I said above syptic powder.. for men for shaving.

Lottie's Dad
May 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM
:thumbs up We've also heard a product called "QR Powder" works well to stop bleeding immediately. I was just getting my haircut today, and the person cutting my hair talked about it. After she mentioned it today, I checked it out on-line and it looks like it's available in retail stores or at the company website at biolife.com. I'm going to get some for my dog Lottie.

trescanis
May 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Here's a great link with excellent close up photos of the nail cutting process.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp

All 3 of my dogs have black nails so I worry about the quick as well. What I do before the cutting is washing out the underside of the nails with their very own tooth brush. That way all the dirt/debris is gone and I can see the quick much better.

Trescanis

Karin
May 14th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Here's a great link with excellent close up photos of the nail cutting process.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp

All 3 of my dogs have black nails so I worry about the quick as well. What I do before the cutting is washing out the underside of the nails with their very own tooth brush. That way all the dirt/debris is gone and I can see the quick much better.

Trescanis...Where have you been! Did you stray??? Geez ....I thought we were going to have to send the bloodhounds after you!

*sorry everyone, you may go back to your thread already in progress*

levimh
May 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the link, trescanis. That's a really informative page!

Cactus Flower
May 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Welcome back, Trescanis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raj got nipped with clippers, and every time she walked outside in the sand, it would start bleeding again. I ended up putting duct tape over the end of her nail (and painting it to match the rest, of course ;) ). Worked like a charm.

Now I use a Dremol, and rarely hit the quick. I've learned though, that just because I don't hit the quick when sanding doesn't mean it's going to be ok. A good run outside in the sand or on the sandstone- and she'll come back with the quick bleeding! SO, I have to make sure to stop when I get anywhere NEAR the quick at all. Just something to keep in mind, especially for those with great big heavy dogs.

And duct tape works great for great big bleeding nails.

Prin
May 14th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I am the only person in the world who holds the guillotine cutter the other way. I have discussed it and I know that the way in the pic is the right way, but I find it so uncomfortable and I find I have way better control with the bendy arm on the thumb side and the flat/blade arm on the finger side... I have tried it the other way, but it seems you'd want the sharpest part toward the dog. Am I nuts? When I do it the other way, it crushes the nail on the dog side and I (and probably the dog too) would rather if a part gets crushed that it be the part away from the doggy-- the part the dog doesn't keep. Maybe I should just take it apart and switch the direction of the blade... Anybody else do it differently?

Cactus Flower
May 15th, 2005, 12:41 AM
How funny. I looked at that website and said "Oh no! I've been holding the clippers the wrong way!", too (I use clippers on Chloe).

I think that if you are crushing any part of the nail, your clippers need to be sharpened or replaced. That's usually a sure sign that they're getting too dull.

I'm going to try holding them the way the website suggests. We'll see how it goes.

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I have tried it that way (the proper way) and the dull side of the blade faces the dog... Just doesn't make sense. It's not because my blade is dull. It's really because of the side of the blade... Tell me if you find it better... :confused:

trescanis
May 16th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome back! And ohhhhh I woulda' loved to see some bloodhounds on my trail! http://img89.echo.cx/img89/3526/blooodhound3eo.jpghttp://img89.echo.cx/img89/3526/blooodhound3eo.jpg

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED BETTERMENT REGISTRY (http://www.gsdbbr.org/)

coppperbelle
May 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I recently started using a Dremmel tool to trim my dogs nails. It works great.

Karin
May 16th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I recently started using a Dremmel tool to trim my dogs nails. It works great.

I wish I could use one. The Bzzzzzz from a dremmel would cause Ciara to officially proclaim it as EVIL. I walk on eggshells with her.