Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

High School Biology class dissects live dog

chocolatecoffee
May 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM
This is disgusting...

http://www.local6.com/news/4480144/detail.html

A biology class lesson in Gunnison, Utah involving the dissection of a live dog has outraged some parents and students, according to a report.

Biology teacher Doug Bjerregaard, who is a substitute teacher at Gunnison Valley High School, wanted his students to see how the digestive system of a dog worked.

Bjerregaard made arrangements for his students to be a part of a dissection of a dog that was still alive.

The dog was still alive, but the teacher said it was sedated before the dissection began.

With the students watching, the sedated dog's digestive system was removed.

"It just makes me sick and I don't think this should go on anywhere and nobody's learning from it," student Sierra Sears said.

The teacher said the lesson would allow students to see the organs actually working.

"I thought that it would be just really a good experience if they could see the digestive system in the living animal," Bierregaard said.

The school's principal, Kirk Anderson, said notifications went to parents explaining the dog was going to be euthanized and that the experiment would be done with the dog's organs still functioning.

The teacher is standing by his decision and calls it the ultimate educational experience.

Principal Anderson said he supports the lesson and it will be allowed to continue because the students are learning.

The dog used in the experiment was going to be euthanized despite the class project.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

twinmommy
May 13th, 2005, 09:25 PM
The teacher is standing by his decision and calls it the ultimate educational experience

Not so, grasshopper, the "ultimate" would be this s.o.b. under the scalpel!!!
Very sad to think this person is moulding minds.

twodogsandacat
May 14th, 2005, 09:09 PM
He should be investigated to see if he is properly licensed to do this experiment and if he isn't should be punished. Because it might be cool for the kids to watch is probably not a valid reason. Anybody in Utah want to file a complaint with the DA?

Let's hope the community and the parents and kids oppossed to this can put a stop to this. Sometimes there is a reason somebody is a subsitute teacher and not a full time teacher - like because he's a sadistic nutter. There was no scientific reason for this at all.

http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/utah.htm

(5) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the conduct of the actor towards the animal was:
(a) by a licensed veterinarian using accepted veterinary practice;
(b) directly related to bona fide experimentation for scientific research, provided that if the animal is to be destroyed, the manner employed will not be unnecessarily cruel unless directly necessary to the veterinary purpose or scientific research involved; (c) permitted under Section 18-1-3;
(d) by a person who humanely destroys any animal found suffering past recovery for any useful purpose; or

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Disgusting. We had to dissect a cow eye in high school and I refused to do even that. That principal is the exact type of person who keeps animal testing alive. I wonder if he would feel the same if someone wanted to dissect him. It would be educational in so many ways, wouldn't it? What an a**. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Most high schoolers won't even remember what they learned. They'll just remember the disgustingness and drama. :mad:

melanie
May 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
WTF, this is just unbelievable. :sad:

at uni they wanted to disect dead cane toads, i organised a protest and showed the sheer lack of necessity for such learning in a modern age, that was the last time they ever suggested disecting anything in biology at my university and since have created new ways of learning.

these days they have wonderful tools, such as those overlayed clear sheets of plastic that slowly break down the organs on each page.

those poor children, no wonder society is the way it is. this man should be shot.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

kandy
May 16th, 2005, 12:41 PM
This is terrible! I wonder how this 'teacher' or the principal would've liked it if it was their dog under the knife. I think the only thing that was taught here is how cruel and disgusting people can be. Although if there were any future serial killers in the class, I'm sure they got a thrill! :mad: :sad: :mad: