Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mickey pee's on my wife

T & T
May 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM
We bought Mickey, a male German Shorthair Pointer, when he was 6 weeks old. He house trained quickly, he had a few accidents, but you expect that with a puppy. We had him neutered when he was 4 months old. We have another dog, Windy, a female Golden Retriever, who is six years old. The two on them are inseparable, in fact, Mickey prefers to take naps laying on top of Windy!

About a month ago we moved into a new house, we have a large yard, but no grass and have had a lot of rain the last 3 weeks so the yard is pretty much a mess. The first week in the new house, Mickey didn't have any accidents. Since then, he has been regressing. He doesn't poop in the house but pee's pretty much at will. We take him out often, sometimes a couple of times an hour. He will go outside and pee and come back in and pee again. He is able to hold it all night long so I don't think its a bladder control problem.

The topper was been the last two days. Twice he has been laying by my wife, she was petting him and he got up and peed on her, not a spray from excitment but a full stream. He has done this twice now.

I have a couple of thoughts. Could he be marking her? Sometimes when he pees, rather than a steady stream, the urine appears to be pumpimg out in small spurts. Might this be a medical condition? Mickey is the first male we have had in many years so we have forgotten a lot of these details. We are pretty frustrated at this point.

Any thoughts?

Lucky Rescue
May 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
The first thing to do when there is a sudden change in behavior, like a loss of housetraining, is to have the dog checked out for any UTI's or bladder problems. There is no point trying anything else until you are certain the problem is not medical!

Luvmypit
May 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Quite unpleasant. Definately take to a vet and let the vet know what changes have occured.
As for the pee pumping out my dog is like that also but only when he has a big pee.

T & T
May 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'm going to call the vet now, hopefully we can get in soon. I'll let you know,

thanks

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Is this guy neutered? He could be peeing on your wife as a marking/dominance gesture. Intact males commonly mark people. It's not fun.

I believe the "small spurts" are because the urine he is finding is at the bottom of the bladder, so to speak. He doesn't really have to go, he just has to mark your wife...

Also, six weeks is too young, so you have to be sure to socialize him with dogs extensively while he is young. Puppies removed from the litter too early end up overly fearful or overly aggressive toward other dogs.

tenderfoot
May 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Peeing on your wife is just a tad too intentinal for my taste. He is making a statement. How old is Mickey now, 6-18mo?
I think it is related to the move and to the fact that everyone has been so busy with all of the changes. He is now attempting to move up the ladder and he has accomplished this with the golden "I own the things I lay on", now he is moving on to your wife "I own the things I pee on". So it is a relationship issue - surprise! :)
Your wife should put him on the leash and engage his brain throughout the day. Give him lots of jobs - keep this boy busy - even if it's just following her around all day. Plenty of chances to correct marking mistakes and to get his mind working for her out of respect. Bet it will smarten him right up.

wjranch
May 13th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I agree totally with Tenderfoot on the peeing on your wife bit. :D

I also wonder, could there have been a dog in the house previously? It may have left it's scent, and your dog is now 'taking over the territory' so to speak....

Good Luck (you can buy little wrap around things that help stop dogs from marking indoors, they look like a headband, but go around the belly and cover the .... uh... ummm... peeper?? :o )

T & T
May 13th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I did get in to see the vet this afternoon. Mickey has quite a lot of blood in his urine. Vet said that it could be a couple of things, urinary tract or bladder infection (which he said is not real common in neutered males) or bladder stones. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and sent me home with enough antibiotic pills and oral medication for 10 days. Said if this didn't clear it up or if it comes right back, he wants to x-ray Mickey to look for stones.

I agree with Prin and Tenderfoot, that this is a dominance thing and that in his mind my wife is his property.