Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pretty cool!

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I work for a small business that has a house for the offices. Well one weekend about a 2 weeks ago someone forgot to shut the windows in the bosses office. On monday we came in to find a bird flying in and out of the window. We looked around and up on a shelf where our boss kept an old birds nest she found (she is very artistic and into nature) there was 5 little eggs. Aparently a bird decided to take up residence in the office. We couldn't stand the thought of the babies dieing so we left it alone and left the window open for mama bird. Well a few days ago 4 of the eggs hatched (well at least four as far as we know). So now we have a family of birds in the house. They just peep away all day, It's really cute. well then the mama bird started going all through the house of course pooping everywhere so we put up a bead curtin to keep her in that office. solved that problem. But i'm sort of worried, what about when they learn to fly? are they going to be able to find their way out of the office? We want to shut the window once the babies leave, they are cute but getting loud and kind of annoying so they will be the last to have the office as a home. About how long does it take for baby birds to learn to fly?

I attached a pic. it's not great quality because all I have is a phone camera right now. These are the babies.

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Another of the babies.

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I'll try to remember my digi cam for monday to get better pics. Here is the self the nest is on.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 03:33 PM
How cool! Just make sure no one touches the bird or the nest because sometimes the mommy bird will not come back to the babies. :D

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Actully according to the wild life biologist I spoke with at Texas A&M thats not true at all. Most birds have a very poor sense of smell and mostly rely on sight. But if you are seen disturbing the nest too much the mama might be too frightened to return. It really has nothing to do with the handling or smell but the fact that the bird sees a "predetor" lurking around its nest and is afraid of being killed. Also it's not good to do because the babies will lose their natural fear of people, and that might get them killed.

I think I'm going to give the guy at A&M a call tonight and see what he says about when baby birds start flying. Didn't even think about that until now.

chico2
May 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Jackie,what kind of birds are they??I suppose Sparrows,right??
I have a few birdhouses with sparrows and it takes quiet a while before the birds are able to fly,probably at least a couple of weeks,or more..
The babies in my birdhouses do not always survive,the Blue Jays take them,it's so sad,but mom and dad Sparrow will just start over again and that's how it goes all summer.
Right now I am keeping an eye on a Doves-nest with babies,they are well hidden in my Blue Spruce...hopefully they'll make it.

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I'm not really sure what they are. I think sparrows but i'm not positive. I know they are not robins, blue Jays, cardinals, or mocking birds (I know they are not mocking birds because those things are horribly loud and aggressive). It's a small brown bird with black on the top of it's head and white markings around it's wings. I don't know a whole lot about bird breeds and even less about texas birds (i'm not native texan). and when they get mad they make this horrible chattering sound. We didn't mind having them inside because this is the best place for them to be safe from preditors.

chico2
May 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Could be a Sparrow,there are so many different types of Sparrows...I know most of the bird-species here where I am,but you are in Texas so they could be something totally different.
I LOVE the Mockingbirds,see and hear them a lot when we go to South Carolina.
I am glad nobody has thought of throwing them out,although they are probably a bit of a problem :D

kandy
May 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I don't know how long it'll take em to fly - or if they'll be able to find their way out. I just wanted to say from your description they might be larks, but I am definitely not a bird person, so I couldn't say for sure. That's really amazing that the mama bird chose to lay her eggs inside!

Karin
May 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I'm not really sure what they are. I think sparrows but i'm not positive. I know they are not robins, blue Jays, cardinals, or mocking birds (I know they are not mocking birds because those things are horribly loud and aggressive). It's a small brown bird with black on the top of it's head and white markings around it's wings. I don't know a whole lot about bird breeds and even less about texas birds (i'm not native texan). and when they get mad they make this horrible chattering sound. We didn't mind having them inside because this is the best place for them to be safe from preditors.

Do not rule out the mockingbird yet. I have raised many a wayward baby mockingbird. They are noisy, but very smart. They are at their quietest form when raising a family. Any peep from a parent will bring a predator.
There are birds that hunt mockingbird nest just to feed their own young...if you can bear with them, it will not be long before they fledge. Nature has a way of growing them up fast and moving them out.

If they are not mockingbirds...oh well. Same rule of thumb holds.
After the babies leave find out where the parents came from and block it off. They may be back, or let them in to nest again, it's up to you.

Jackie467
May 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM
How big are mockingbirds? The mama is pretty small, smaller than a robin. They are cute but the bird poop is kind of annoying so this will be the last indoor nest. They got in through a window my boss left open one weekend and we just couldn't imagine closing it and letting the eggs die. So after they leave we are going to shut the window, and remember to shut it when we are gone lol.

Karin
May 14th, 2005, 09:08 PM
How big are mockingbirds? The mama is pretty small, smaller than a robin. They are cute but the bird poop is kind of annoying so this will be the last indoor nest. They got in through a window my boss left open one weekend and we just couldn't imagine closing it and letting the eggs die. So after they leave we are going to shut the window, and remember to shut it when we are gone lol.

Mockingbirds are a tad bit smaller than a robin. The baby gappers are huge compared to an adult bird, same as most nestlings, they do grow fast. ( The robins I see here in the winter are well fed, makes me wonder how they fare the trip home)

Once they get enough feathers for a test flight and finding food is not a problem their bird "101" class will move outside.

Jackie467
May 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Will they leave the nest and come back until they learn what they're doing? I just don't want to shut the window and they weren't ready to leave the nest yet and they were just out practicing or something.

wjranch
May 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Last spring I had a red robin nest underneath my second story deck. We watched the bird daily, she had 3 eggs in it, we watched them hatch (while peeking through the deck) The momma seemed okay with it.
I went out one morning to find the nest dumped on the ground with 2 babes next to it, the 3rd underneath it... they could not fly yet, and the momma was flying all around kicking up quite a fuss! I can only guess it was a local cat that had been after the nest...
I picked them up, with the nest (none were hurt) I replaced the babes and the nest where momma had it.... she definatly saw me doing this.. but, she still returned to feed them within 1/2 hour or so.
They fledged (terminology?) a week or so later and all was well :D

Jackie467
May 14th, 2005, 10:55 PM
That's pretty cool. You were their lucky angel. Not all birds are scared off by a person touching their nest, but some are more skiddish and won't return. And if you constently touched the nest and babies she might become more frightful and leave.

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Don't feed them either... I learned that the hard way when I was little. We had sparrows in our barbq. The mother hadn't come back in almost a week and I fed one and the next day the bird I fed was dead. I guess he got pecked to death and thrown out of the nest. I still feel so guilty. :sad:

chico2
May 15th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Here's a pic of a Mockingbird in SC,sorry,he did not let me get any closer..

Jackie467
May 15th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Well I don't think it's a mockingbird. I think it might be a sparrow.