Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little dog jumping

levimh
May 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
This is regarding a friends Border Terrier (Ellie) and her jumping. When Ellie knows someone has treats in her pocket, she'll jump up to the pocket. When you tell her to "sit", she'll jump a couple times and then finally sit, then gets the treat for sitting. When someone has one of those long plastic ball flingers (forgot what they're called!), Ellie will jump up and nip your hand and the ball flinger, until you throw the ball.

IMO, it seems like she's trying to tell you what she wants...like it's a dominant thing.

Anyways, I was just wondering what Ellie's mom could to do fix this? I suggested using a squirt bottle full of water, however I don't really like this method too much.

MIA
May 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
What I have done in the past with little jumpers, is stand on the leash when they are doing it (set them up in the situation where they do it), giving enough slack so that they are 'corrected' when they jump up, this can ONLY be done with a flat buckle collar, once calm and sitting I praise and reward. Teaching OFF is helpful as well.

levimh
May 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about that method! I used that on my dog. Thanks!

I also thought about teaching "jump" and then teaching "no jump" (or "off", like you said)...like some people teach their dogs "bark", and then "quiet". I'll definitely mention that first method though. :D

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Also, if you throw the ball to get the doggy to stop jumping, that will act as a reward. You have to wait till she stops completely before throwing. If a behavior continues, in my experience, it's because the dog is benefitting from it somehow. You just have to find the reward and stop doing it. :)

laughingwaters
May 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
A method that works like a charm is to stand still and fold your arms across your chest. My Papillon mix, Toby, will immediately chill out when I do this. Dr. Stanley Coren taught a family to do ths in an episode of "Good Dog." Their dog would chase & tear the kids' clothes for fun. It could work well with Prin's suggestion to calm Ellie before you throw the ball.

levimh
May 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Great, thanks. :)

Gotta love Dr. Coren!

laughingwaters
May 15th, 2005, 07:53 PM
n.p. I'm a big fan!! :thumbs up