Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can someone help me with an email?

Daisy's Owner
May 13th, 2005, 08:08 AM
There is a little blurb in the Herald today, I am sure there is more in the paper, but this is all that's online.

Councillor wants pit bull to stay with its family
A Guysborough County family should be allowed to keep their 13-year-old pit bull, despite a ban on the breed, says area councillor Bradley MacLeod.

The District 7 councillor presented a stack of letters to council Wednesday from supportive neighbours of the Country Harbour family, who were recently informed by bylaw enforcement officials that their pooch is not allowed in the county.

I'd like to send an email to the councillor in support of the family, but since this will be my first ever letter against BSL, I don't know where to start, and to tell you the truth, I'm not very good and articulating my thoughts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lizzie
May 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I would start by making a list of points you'd like to make in your letter. It's easier to assist when we know what message you'd like to convey in your letter. Obviously you want to convey that you support the family, but you also want to make a strong point as to why they deserve to keep their beloved pet....and perhaps why it's completely irrational for a member of the family to be stripped of his role simply because of his breed.

Daisy's Owner
May 13th, 2005, 10:01 AM
You make it sound much easier than it seems to me. There is all kinds I would like to say, but they all start with F-U. But that would be irrational.

I'm disappointed that a county in Nova Scotia has chosen to ban breeds. When the province has deemed it not neccesary. Especially when there have been no reported incidents within the county. (I have been doing a bit of research this morning.)

How do I get my point across that even though I don't know this family or this dog, and even though it is a by-law within the county, it is not right to remove a family pet that I have to assume is a great pet, because of the community support, this family is receiving, solely because of prejudice.

I think it's disgusting that the county's by-laws state:

15b) Without notice to or complaint against the owner of any such dog, may impound and destroy or may destroy on sight without impounding any dog which is deemed fierce or dangerous.

1. d) Fierce or Dangerous means:

(3) A pit bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, pit bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Rotweiller, or any dog of mixed breeding, which includes any of the aforementioned breeds.

I have to cross through the county to go to Cape Breton which we do quite alot, I can't take my dog, because there is the possibility that she could be destroyed going through the county. Really. Try me. SO WRONG!

I would like to include something about BSL not being the right or most cost effective way to deal with fierce/dangerous/aggressive dogs. But that may fall on deaf ears because the by-law is already in place.

I'm not sure what else I should/could include.

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I know people are always asking for others to send emails and sign petitions and that is great - BUT I must caution that politicians, regardless of where they are, only listen or pay attention to people who vote for them. So if I, who do not vote in Guysborough County, emailed the County Council there, my email would go right into the circular file. They would not care!!

The only other way I can think of utilizing the internet or action from outsiders (and you know how NOva Scotia is about heeding attitudes from AWAY - in other words, it might irritate tho councillors and reinforce their resolve rather than attaining what you want) - is to use the tourism angle. Nova Scotia is very good at promoting itself in terms of tourism and if you had people write to Guysbourough County and suggest that you were not making a return visit to your lovely area because of the ban, that might get noticed. It would even better if others from outside wrote the newspapers in the region (http://www.herald.ns.ca) the Halifax Herald and the Antogonish Casket - whose url escapes me at the moment - and stated the same thing.
Even better would be an organization of dog lovers (Dog Fanciers, CKC, etc) indicating they would not be considering any conventions, meetings, vacations in the regions due to the ban.

But for me personally as a non Guysborough resident er VOTER to write a councillor there would only raise a few hackles.

I know these ppl think like this since in my undergrad days I earned some extra cash by writing speeches for politicians in Nova Scotia. Guysborough is seen as a swing riding and was once the preserve of former Liberal Leader Sandy Cameron. I think you should write the MLA for the riding and ask him what he think of this and what he plans to do about it - and organize among your neighbours and friends. You know NS politics, there is rural NS, Cape Breton and metro Halifax. Good luck!!

babyrocky1
May 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Daisys owner, you may also want to cantact Banned Aid or the Dog Legislative Council of Cananda. Banned Aid would get you in touch wih all of your allies locally. \The breeder of Am Staffs, the one who sold Don Cherry his dog lives in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. I know she is very active in the Anti Bsl fight. All of the links you need are on this sub forum in lots of places. Im not good at putting together links but they are all here throughout the threads. Banned Aid has all the links on their site that you would need and they always have strategies posted for political action. The best thing to do is find out who your friends are in the area and decide on a campaign. I think the Tourist angle that CK has suggested is a very good one. One thing that Ive been told about political action campaigns is that a hand written letter is taken much more seriously. We saw what happened when we E-mailed Bryant. That was such a farse! Politicians have formulas, an email counts for example as, I dont know, say 2, where as a hand written letter would count as representing the thoughts of 10. I dont remember if a phone call is more or less than a letter. The numbers are just examples, I don't remember what they actually are, but this gives you an idea of how they think. Good Luck!
Good for you for taking a stand :thumbs up

babyrocky1
May 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
http://www.bannedaid.com/, sorry I don't know how to make it into a link I checked the web adress and it is correct so you can just type it in thats what I had to do, all of the other organizatons are there and there is a Dartmouth adress for the DLCC on there so you will be in good hands, these are people who came to the committee hearings here. :thumbs up (often they will have a standard letter to help people cover the points that need to be adressed and then you just ad your own personal twist.)

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Re: Politicians have formulas, an email counts for example as, I dont know, say 2, where as a hand written letter would count as representing the thoughts of 10.

Pre - email, the rule of thumb was that for every letter a politician recieved - typed and printed and sent by snail mail, there were 100 more ppl who feel the same way. That has been changed now with email of course - so it is about 10 for email and 100 for an actual letter mailed with a stamp. Mind you, at the federal level, mailing your MP is free and does not require a stamp. Calling by telephone is another method or in the case of Guysboroughm contacting the Tourism Association.

When the US govt was going to change a law that affacted the thousands of Canadians who winter in the south, the Snowbirds' Assn and like mindded tourism groups and the southern US Governors all waded in, worrying about the economic impact and it was never passed.

babyrocky1
May 13th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks CK I figured youd know the actual numbers. When we did our " Dear Jean" campaign, which was a letter writing campaign in our co-op we actually insisted on pen and ink hand written letters, no form letters or typed allowed on that one, but we had a form letter that out-lined specific points. In a building of 110 units we got over 100 hand written, heart felt letters. I know that they didn't read more than one or two but they were all really great and Ive kept a copy of each one. All co-ops in Ontario did the same thing. Of course we did other things as well but it was successful and we got what we needed :thumbs up It seemed quite hopeless at the time, so "never say never" ;)

Daisy's Owner
May 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the info. I did know there was someone in Dartmouth who was involved with the BSL stuff. I'll have to look into it some more, and see what else I can do.

I just don't want to see this family lose their pup because of stupidness.