Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop eaters!

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Chino started out wanting to eat the cats poo, out of the liter box but now it is Meater as well. Is there anyway I can make them stop doing this. We have three litter boxes because we want if they are in a room to have a box there so they do not go on the floor. Please help! :D :eek:

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 06:04 AM
The only way that I've been able to get around this is to keep the litter boxes in rooms that the dog is not allowed to go into.... then using a hook and eye lock, the door can be open enough for the cats but not for the dog. But if you have a litter box in a main room of your house that the dogs are in a lot of the time, you may have a problem... I don't know of any tricks that make dogs not want the poo... they always want the poo.

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Or to block off the litter boxes with a child gate but leave it high enough off the floor so the cats can get in, but not the doggies. (My realestate agent taught me that one...)

BeagleMum
May 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I have the same problem with Spencer. I can't use the baby gate thing because he can get over it. I am looking for some ideas as well.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 01:38 PM
The baby gate idea sounds like a good idea. But I have three liter boxes and one is in the computer room. (which we are all in there alot, thanks to pets.ca) :D there is one in the bathroom and one in the dining room. That is where they are at most of the time, and the dogs are in there as well. Is there anything I can put in their food that the dogs would not want to eat. :D

Eleni
May 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
play pen,

it sounds so silly but a playpen is the perfect spot for cats to jump into but keeps most dog out

oh but doubt this would work for kittens unless they are great jumpers already

Eleni

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM
That is a good idea but there is no way that the little kittens can get in there yet. :D When we had Crybaby with us I put it on the desk in the extra room, food and water as well he could jump up but they could not I will do that when they get BIGGER but I can not yet! :D

chico2
May 13th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Princess,I can't see why you need a box in every room,two boxes in one room should be enough for them,even though they are still small,they will remember where the boxes are,I think :confused: I know Vinnie did,I used to keep a small box for him upstairs,but before I knew it,he wanted to go downstairs where the big guys went :D

Daisy's Owner
May 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Ahhh. The doggy caviar that is cat poo. :) .

We have rubbermaid boxes stacked around ours. The cat can get in, but the dog can't.

There is some stuff you can buy, and I'm sorry the name escapes me now, that you can sprinkle over the litter that will deter the dog from eating it. Maybe someone else knows what it is.

If you want to keep and clean more than one litter box, go ahead, but you really do only need to have one. Cats are pretty good like that.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Princess,I can't see why you need a box in every room,two boxes in one room should be enough for them,even though they are still small,they will remember where the boxes are,I think :confused: I know Vinnie did,I used to keep a small box for him upstairs,but before I knew it,he wanted to go downstairs where the big guys went :D

So you think two boxes are fine Chico? Put them in the same room or one up stairs and one down or what. We have three levels? :D

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Isn't it supposed to be one box per cat and one for the house? I don't have kitties, so I don't know the box rules. Is it different for kittens?

chico2
May 14th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Prin,I know that is what the experts say,but I have 3 cats and two large Rubbermaid boxes.
Princess,maybe your little ones are too small yet to run up and down the stairs,but I think it's better to get them used to one spot for the boxes..
Also as they get older,I would not think it's that great to have litter-boxes everywhere :D

kandy
May 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Here is a couple of products that I found - I've never had to use anything like that so I don't know how good they work. Good Luck!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=583&Ntt=eating%20feces&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2001&Nty=1

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=595&Ntt=eating%20feces&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2001&Nty=1

Karin
May 14th, 2005, 05:11 PM
You can also try a lid for the top of the litter box....these have an opening large enough for a cat to enter, but a dog seeking litter fritter's will get their head stuck. They may try it once but after that fiasco (getting their head stuck).. they will think twice about that mre!