Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rawhide?

Gripenfelter
May 12th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I think my dog might have swallowed a 6"x2" strip of rawhide. Should I worry?

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 12:15 AM
I am not a fan of rawhide as the dogs can not digest it that well. I would watch him and see how he is doing going to the bathroom. Call your vet and ask what he thinks. Do he seem to be doing okay. I would stay away from rawhide all together.

Gripenfelter
May 13th, 2005, 12:29 AM
He's sleeping now.

What else can I give him to chew on instead of rawhide? He's a chewer.

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I'm not big on rawhide either. We give it to our dogs only as a special treat and only when we can watch them closely, we also make sure they don't eat a large amount of it. recently my mother gave her dog a rawhide (after I told her not to because he already had one the day before and he can only have one a month) of course he wolfed it down and then got constipated very badly. I felt horrible for him he seemed so uncomfertable, we gave him a day to feel better before we would take him to the vet and luckly the next day he went to the bathroom and felt much better. Just keep an eye on him and if he starts vomiting take him to the vet. He might get constipated and have an upset tummy for a while, if he gets worst or doesn't get better in about 24 hours take him to the vet. I hope your baby doesn't get sick, it's possible that the amount he got might not make him sick at all.

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Forgot to metion. I really like greenies, also helps to clean their teeth. My dogs just love them. I'm not really sure about giving them all the time though, I usually only give them once a week. Your pup might like to chew on a kong, mine don't like to chew them (only get the treats out) but some dogs enjoy it.

Cactus Flower
May 13th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Some vets will tell you that rawhide is a no-no, because bits of it can break off and be swallowed. Rawhide swells when it gets wet, and this can end up causing an intestinal blockage. There are statistics posted somewhere on this board about how many dogs are lost each year because of rawhide.

That said, I've seen a friend's dog swallow a piece about the same size as what you described, and he didn't run into any trouble with it, aside from what has already been mentioned (constipation, a bit uncomfortable, etc.).

I would watch him VERY closely. The "constipation" is probably a blockage that eventually gets moved.

I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome for your sweetie!

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I like greenies, kongs, nylabones, ice cubes, rope toys! Mine use to play with balls real well but they only last a few days but they have fun while they have them. I would just watch him real close and go from there. My dogs have ate alot of things they are not suppose to we have been real lucky! I have to watch them all the time or they are always into something they are rotten!~ :D

Daisy's Owner
May 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM
He's sleeping now.

What else can I give him to chew on instead of rawhide? He's a chewer.

Daisy's a chewer too. I go to the butcher and get some soup marrow bones. For about a buck a bone it gives her days and days of enjoyment.

Gripenfelter
May 13th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Thanx guys.

He's swallowed smaller pieces before but this is the first time I've seen him take down a big piece.

I'm not positive he ate it but I have a hunch because I can't find it anywhere and I saw him chewing and swallowing something.

He didn't poop this morning. Just peed and went back to sleep. Doesn't seem uncomfortable yet. I'll take him to the vet tomorrow morning if he doesn't poop by then.

He swallowed it at 11pm last night.

moontamara
May 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM
uhhh, what's a greenie??? :confused: :o :)

honeybee4
May 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I was just going to ask the same thing, what the heck is a greenie and where do you get them at?

nymph
May 13th, 2005, 10:23 AM
This is a greenie, like a dental bone, only tastier
http://radiofence.com/images/greenies_three_lg.jpg

Jackie467
May 13th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'v seen Greenies at Petsmart, Petco, Wallmart, and the vets office. The ones at wallmart seem to be the cheapest. but of course i'm in the US.

DogueLover
May 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
This may sound a but crazy but I was told it would not be harmful.
When my sister`s danes are chewing in their teeth she gives them a tree branch ( green soft wood without the bark) that has been washed down. They can`t chew through it and it is soft enough that it doesn`t hurt their mouths. Also, they won`t eat it. LOL.
I used cotton rope with lots of knots tied into it. Worked like a charm except that eventually the dog`s jaw got so strong that they chewed through the rope.
My grown dogs like nothing more than the marrow bones you can buy from the butcher shop. I usually boil them up for soup then give them to my dogs( not often though as they can chew off pieces and the sharp bones are not good for their stomachs, they can also get loose stools from having them too often).
C`Zarr made short work of the last Kong, so I stay away from them. I thought that they would be a great toy, he chewed it apart in less than an hour.

I think any toy we give our pets, should be given when we have time to watch them because you never know what the little buggers are capable of.

Good luck on finding the right toy, hope your baby doesn`t have any problems with the rawhide it chewed and swallowed.

whatsknew
May 13th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure this would work with a large dog but my two small dogs love to chew on cow hoves. They are rock hard (it must be how they process them because it should be soft). They last forever -at least with little dogs.

I also get what looks to be a leg bone, cured and wrapped in plastic from the pet store. They love them. When they have "cleaned" them, I stick a dog biscuit down the center and they literally spend hours throwing the thing around trying to get the biscuit out.

Lucky Rescue
May 13th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I used cotton rope with lots of knots tied into it. Worked like a charm except that eventually the dog`s jaw got so strong that they chewed through the rope. My grown dogs like nothing more than the marrow bones you can buy from the butcher shop. I usually boil them up for soup then give them to my dogs

Be careful with the ropes. Many dogs have needed surgery and even died from having the strings wrap around intestines and caused blockages.

Never give dogs cooked bones. They becomes brittle and can break up and sharp pieces can pierce stomach and bowels. Raw bones only.

I also get what looks to be a leg bone, cured and wrapped in plastic from the pet store.

Those are smoked, full of nitrates and salt. Again, raw is best.

levimh
May 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I give Levi raw marrow bones every so often, as a treat and he'll sit there and eat it for about 2-3 hours. Excellent for teeth cleaning. Bad for breath. :)

Gripenfelter
May 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM
What about DINO BONE? Safeway carries it. I'm gonna try it tonight.

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM
My doggies hate greenies and nylabones... They're quite expensive over here too... My doggies go for the pig ears like crazy. They love the hooves but after eating those, your home smells like barn for a while... I do give rawhides but I watch them. My doggies are chewers not wolfers, so they eat the rawhides slower. I used to get the small but thick knotted ones at costco because they're harder to grab so they work on them longer, but now costco only sells the rolled ones, which are still better, in my opinion, than the long knotted ones. There is no not to bite off and swallow whole. I give dentabones sometimes, but I'm trying to wean them off them because I don't want to aggravate Jemma's allergies. :)

mafiaprincess
May 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I heard so many horror stories about rawhide I've never given it.

Mine is such a chewer that when she was teething she tried to eat the fireplace bricks..

The nylabones were being eaten in 2 hours tops *the edibles ones* and the plastic ones got ripped up too fast.

The other day I broke down and bought a cow hoof. Sadly, it is the best freaking toy I have ever bought...

I bought one stuffed with rollover the other day, and a smoked knuckle bone today at least that's what I think it is.... I found greenies and pigs ears to be eaten in no time flat.. and today my girlie threw up.. And the only abnormal thing she has had is an ear.. so I'm not sure if I'll get more in future.

Nothing has been hard enough till I bought hooves and bones. The 'natural' stuff smells awful, but my baby while being tiny seems to chew worse than some of the huge breeds.

Gripenfelter
May 14th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Well he pooped 4 times today as usual lol.

Two big piles and 2 tiny ones. All 4 are the result of 2 bowel movements. He usually poops for a bit..stops...walks 6 feet and poops a bit more. lol

I could see the rawhide in his poop. He had no problems.

One of my co-workers says she gives rawhide to her malamute everyday without any problems. The mal is 4 yrs old now.

kandy
May 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I don't give rawhides to my dogs, although I've never had any problems, I do know people that have had major problems, so I quit that a long time ago. I do give pigs ears (but sparingly as they are really high in fat). I also get big raw knuckle bones from the butcher down the street - Parker loves them and Hazel tries her best to work on them, but she's too little yet to do much with them. I've never given the hoofs - and I have seen where they have pig snouts now but they look really gross! I would try a kong - they make different ones for different kinds of chewers - and putting peanut butter inside makes them work harder for the treat since they can't get to it easily. Parker chews everything - even the stones on my son's fireplace. He doesn't have a kong at home, but he does have the big knuckle bones and they seem to keep him occupied. Good Luck!

Eleni
May 14th, 2005, 10:59 AM
sam chews on raw marrow bones, I freeze them so he goes thru em a bit slower,

a frozen marrowbone will amuse him for upwards of 2 hours.

great for when hes home alone, and keeps him from running after his feline sisters hehe

the kong shoved full of PB and frozen is another favourite chew treat as well

Eleni

Dahlia
May 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I have been wondering what kind of tasty chewy I can give Sophie. I don't do rawhide since our vet said to stay away from it and she is generally a wolfer. She has a nylabone that's she's had for a couple of months and hasn't destroyed it yet, it's not the edible kind. And she has some rubber squeak toys and doggy stuffed animals and they are still intact, too. The greenies are really expensive here. If I give her raw bones from the butcher will it leave greasy spots on my carpet? I saw those hooves the other day at Feeder's Supply, maybe I'll get her one of those.

levimh
May 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Raw bones probably wouldn't leave a greasy spot, but the marrow in them does get messy. I put Levi in his pen when I give him it, so he can make his little mess in there.

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM
My Eskimo does not get Rawhide. He does like Greenies, but at the cost per unit and since it takes the 21 lb. darling 2 minutes to demolish a regular size, the cost would be considerable. My dog has the jaw and tooth strength of a pup twice his size and can eat through anything - Kongs have a reasonable life span. I also have been buying a new product from West Paw Designs made from a material called ZogoFlex. So far they have only a bone like toy -large and small and have just introduced a small ball with grooves. The ball is hard like a Kong but has grooves so my dog holds it like an apple. A larger version will be released next month. The ZogoFlex products are designed for dogs with strong teeth - usually dogs a lot bigger than mine. He also has a medium size green/white Nylabone and a nubbly Buddy Bone - not the Glow one as it was a bit to brittle. Feel sorry for him though, he absolutely adores fabric toys. I did buy him the extra large Booda tug toy - the one for huge dogs - lasted an hour.

Prin
May 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I saw on animal ER once that a young dog ate pig ears and got a virus from them because her vaccines hadn't kicked in yet. It was a long time ago, so I don't totally remember which virus (too bad) but just be careful with puppies and natural bones to be on the safe side.

ewe5248
October 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
About the rawhides...Both my dogs have eaten them since they were puppies with no problems. I saw on Animal Planet's Emergency Vets that pig ears have caused several deaths in dogs in that one clinic. The sharp corners can puncture the intestines. For special treats I buy them packages dried chicken breast strips. They even smell good to me! lol! They tear through Greenis like they were starving! With beef rawhides I make sure that they are a product of the US. Some other countries such as China and South America use questionable means to tan the hides with chemicals that can make your dog very ill. My ten pound Feist Sugar can swallow things that are as big as her head almost. My vet has a big poster that says never give dogs bones. I gave a marrowbone to Grace once and she got it stuck on her teeth trying to get the marrow out. Different vets have different preferences. I bake the dogs homemade bones when I have the time! It's fun and of course they love them!:2cents::D

jillfarm
October 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hi folks. I have had a medium dog chew on a rawhide bone to the point it was like soft leather. It was my mum's dog and years ago,but I literally had to pull the softened rawhide out of her throat as she had inhaled it and was sufficating. If I had not been there she would of for sure died. NEVER give them to an animal if you are not watching them. Raw large bones are okay, never cooked as they will splinter.

The lady that has the recipe for dog cookies. I would love that!!! Sticks or chunks of firewood are our labs fav chew toy, as well as hunks of grass off the under deck of our lawn tractor. Natural greenies! We do not use any poisens or weed stuff so it will not hurt them.

Longblades
October 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I suggest very close monitoring with any of those chew things; greenies, marrow bones, branches - whatever. My girl broke off chunks and swallowed them whole. What did work was carrots and beets. Beets are very hard so she got a good chewing with them but you have to give them outside, they stain the floor terribly and your dog will have bloody coloured pee and poop after. I'd watch your dog with them too, in case of swallowing chunks. Our girl, even though dogs are not supposed to be able to chew, did indeed chew them.

jillfarm
October 12th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I have also given puppies carrots. They love them, and break them into little pieces with small teeth! Helps them cut the teeth, but of course, never when they are alone. My dogs all love apples too, but only little bits at a time. I start with little pieces, and then when I get to the core break it up and that is welcomed too!!! Natural recycling!