Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some advice please

JohnsonRachel
May 12th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hello everyone,
I am completely new at this, but I desperatly need advice. I am the new mother of a 9 week old kitten, she loves to play and cuttle. Although a couple of days ago I noticed some small patches of missing fur on her head. Over the past few days it has developed into a silver dollar sized bald spot on her head. She is also losing fur behind her ears, by her eyes, and under her front arms. I am SCARED to death, any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Also we have taken her to the vet on Friday the 6th of May and he said everything looked good, he gave us eye drops (because her eye was draining into her nose) oh and also she is sneezing all the time. She is still VERY active and cuddley which I know is a good sign but i know this has to be something serious. Thank You

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 06:07 AM
I would definitely call the vet again!! That is not normal!

goldenblaze
May 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I would advice you take your kitty back to the Vet and ask for a skin scraping, fur behind her ears, by her eyes, and under her front arms and head could mean she has mange. They are all very common spots for mange to start, sounds like sarcoptic. can cause alot of itching aswell.

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Could it be ring worm? I've only seen cows with it and they had silver dollar sized bald spots on the head.

VET!! :)

MIA
May 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Sounds more like mange to me but without seeing it, it's hard to say! I would get back to the vet ASAP. If it is ring worm there would be round red patches, I had a dog with it recently and she didn't have it near her eyes but did have a big patch on her head.

Here's a photo of ringworm on a dog:

http://www.minpinandshibarescuebc.com/ringworm.jpg

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 02:18 PM
It does indeed sound like ringworm but hard to say without a picture. It is definitely abnormal and needs the attention of a vet!