Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eating dandelions

toby's tracy
May 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM
hello,
I have a 10 week-old lab/rottweiller named toby who has begun to eat dandelions. Are they dangerous? Once he gets them in his mouth they dissolve into hundreds of little yellow petals and are impossible to get out! I am just worried he may become a sick puppy :sick:

Toby also likes rocks and dirt...

Another foodish question:
A friend of ours gave him a little rawhide shoe which he loved. When i went to get him another one, the store clerk advised me against it - apparently he can choke on it. Is this true? And if so, why are chew toys sold that can cause choking?

all for now,
thanks!

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I know Dandelions are safe for humans (I know they use the leaves in different dishes (delicious) And we used to make dandelion wine from the petals (also delicious) . but I don't know if it's safe for dogs??

From what I have learned here, raw hide is not good for dogs, It's a chokeing hazzard, and it could get lodged somewhere in the dogs digestive system (as it expands when it gets wet).

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
here is a site about dandelions
http://www.1001herbs.com/dandelion/

twinmommy
May 12th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I think the dandelions are o.k., but more importantly, you just want to be sure that your pup is not munching pesticides along with his snack!! You'd think not, if dandelions are growing..but they are the first things to crop back up!! ;) That'd hurt this stomach more than the greenery!!

Safyre
May 12th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Checked ot at the ASPCA Animal Poison Controle Centre, Dandelions are ok (as another poster said, pesticides, are not)

Ever wondering about what is toxic, use this website http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=apcc

Cactus Flower
May 12th, 2005, 11:12 PM
more importantly, you just want to be sure that your pup is not munching pesticides along with his snack!!

:eek:

Excellent point!

toby's tracy
May 12th, 2005, 11:45 PM
So far Toby's been munching on our own, backyard, homegrown dandelions, which are definitely pesticide-free! Thanks so much for your replies and the resources you've provided - my friend told me that this was a helpful forum and you've all shown me she's right!

:thumbs up

SnowDancer
May 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Dandelions without pesticides are okay. Re the chew shoe, I do not like these first due to to choking hazard AND LET'S NOT encourage my little "chewer" to chew anything that looks like a shoe - he loves leather shoes as it is. Due to the strength of my Eskimo's teeth I am somewhat limited in what I can buy him, but in principle I have avoided anything that looks like people clothing, shoes - or other animals that he might come across. We already have a 22 lb. "squeaky toy" - the cat - who weighs more than the dog.

julesuoft
May 13th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I have a 4 1/2 month old lab and at first, I was dead against giving Chloe rawhide as I heard of all the problems it can potentially cause. During puppy class, I asked the instructor if it was okay to give my dog a rawhide to chew on. He said - if your dog chews with his back teeth, then chances are - your dog will be grinding its teeth against the rawhide. If your dog has a tendency to chew and swallow, then a rawhide is not suitable.

I bought a medium sized rawhide for Chloe and she LOVES IT! I must caution though, when she's chewing on the rawhide, I'm always there to watch her in case she does get small bites in her mouth. If she does, I take it out. The benefits - I've noticed that the chewing on other things in the house has stopped.

In my opinion, if given in moderation and under supervision, I am more than comfortable letting Chloe have her "chewing" fun with rawhide. :)

raingirl
May 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Just so you know, I've seen a few holistic high quality dog foods that have dandelion in them...so I wouldn't worry. They are excellent for human health and make great salads!