Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

travel

johnboy*
May 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM
i have a 5yr old border collie dog that just gets far to excited when in the car and doesn't stop barking and yapping. We are going on a long drive soon and are taking Duke, can anyone help me to calm him down in the car cheers

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2005, 05:28 PM
We had to go on a 4 hour trip 2 weekend ago and we went to the dog park about an hour-hour and half before we intended to leave (6:00am) and ran ran ran, there was no body there so we threw balls, sticks, chased them (in play) when we all piled into the vehicle they were so pooped they fell asleep before we even left the city!!!

You could also bring some frozen stuffed kongs, a new special toy, whatever they are into!

Have a great trip!
Sarah

maddoxies
May 13th, 2005, 06:21 PM
If he does not like car rides, then you can also try Rescue Remedy. A natural calmative found in the health section of stores or health food stores. It was developed for humans (flower extracts) but works well on animals too. It comes in a bright yellow package, made by Bach Flowers.

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
How long is the car ride? Boo is so anxious/excited in the car. When we went to PEI, we left at 10pm after exercising him all day. It slowed him down a bit but not much. On the way home, we drugged him. We went to a vet in Charlottetown and got Atavet. They also say children's gravol can put them to sleep too. The only thing is, one possible side effect is reversal of the med. Like instead of sleeping, they get MORE excited. I also suggest if you go the drug route, you only do it on the way home. Atavet is supposed to last 12 hours, but Boo was tired for 4 days. I would never want him to be out of it for the whole trip. That would suck for him.

On atavet, he was tired, but he was still up. He could still easily pee outside but he wasn't as particular about where he went...

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Agree with Prin. Particularly with drowsy drug having completely opposite effect - happens with me and happened with my little Dachshund. We now have an American Eskimo so antics are not much different than with a Border Collie. Our dog is quite calm in the car provided he is sitting on my lap. A crate is not an option with him. Certainly making your pet "happy tired" with lots of fun exercise just before you leave will help - I emphasize happy because that makes a big difference with our guy. Time constraints might interfere with this plan though. It is possible though that your dog just does not like the car - it happens.

johnboy*
May 14th, 2005, 05:47 PM
thanks for all your advice our journey is about 5 hours long up into the Highlands of Scotland but we intend to drive to destinations once there, does anyone have any advice or opinions on these electronic collars that can be used to stop a dog barking