Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

LuckyRescue

LittleLoves
May 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I could have PM'd you, but I wanted your input and anyone else's.

My friend has a beautiful and very large Lab/Husky X. His name is Luke. The boy is so docile it's unreal. He listens to commands, and is very gentle with her children. He's a gentle giant. :love:

He only has one problem...when my friend leaves her home, even for just an hour, Luke will pee on their couch, and poop in their basement. She called me today to say she is done with him. She said that her couch cost $3000 and Luke isn't "worth $3000". She says she can't have a dog defacating in the house with her children and that she's getting rid of him.

I tried to tell her that in order stop the problem, she needs to prevent it from happening. I said she needs to confine him to a crate while she is not home and offered to give her mine. I also mentioned getting him a dog house and tying him out while she is gone. Nope. So I asked her where she is going to send him and she said she doesn't know, but that she isn't going to mention his poo/pee problem. I told her that just because he has that problem with her, doesn't mean he will do it in someone else's home. (wrong owner for the right pet)

I mean this from the bottom of my heart, if I didn't already have two, I would take him in, but it's not possible. :sad: Can someone point me in the right direction here? I couldn't stand the thought of him sitting in the SPCA. His size alone would deter some people from taking him...what if no one took him??

What can I do? :confused: If I can't convince her to keep him, how do I go about helping her find him a home?

BMDLuver
May 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry, not LR but I think her mind is already made up. If she isn't willing to try the crate then I rather doubt she will be willing to hold on to him until a new home is found. Poor dog. Do you have rescues in your area? If so, I would suggest she contact one of them first before going to the SPCA with him. :sad:

LittleLoves
May 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Hmm, don't know about rescues. I'll check into that.

Lucky Rescue
May 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Very sad. As has been said, this person would rather dump this dog than take a few simple steps to correct the problem.

If you are able to foster him, that would be great. You can contact rescues who would be willing to help rehome him.

For house soiling - sounds like a separation anxiety problem, if he only does it when no one is home.

He needs to be gated in a small area, like a bathroom. Put his food and bed in there so he will have a strong desire to keep the area clean. After awhile, if there are no accidents, his living area can be slowing extended. Any soiling, and go back a step.

This is no reason to dump a dog. If he goes to the shelter, chances are he will die there. Or someone could adopt him and his problem (which will get worse for awhile in a new home) could result in him being abused, tied in a yard, or dumped yet again.

I hope you can help this poor guy!!

kandy
May 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM
How sad that someone would consider this a viable reason for getting rid of a pet! Sounds like she is using it as an excuse. I hope that she at least gives you some time to find him a foster home! :mad: :sad: :mad:

levimh
May 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Try http://www.maritimeanimalrescue.com

CyberKitten
May 12th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I just noticed you are in NB. The above link is good but pls ask her to be very careful in choosing a Rescue group. There is not my choice in Fredericton and the SPCA there is the only game in town - of a general nature - and they I think have a contract with the municipality? (Not sure tho...) Of the groups listed on that website, the one in Bridgewater, NS has a good reputation but would she travel that far? Or might you bring him there? I fear that dog would die at the SPCA not b/c there are not good ppl there but they are overwhelmed and in the end are a kill shelter.

Other than training him - which will not take that much time out of her life (Would she give up on a child with a bedwetting issue?) Her other options are to be TRUTHFUL and seek veternary help and possibly enlist a vet clinic in helping the dog find a new home. She sounds very impatient I have to say. If she chooses to "rehome" him, she needs to take it very seriosuly and be very cautious in how she chooses potential adopters. There is a wonderful vet clinic in Saint John that could possibly help her - Dr. Michael Blaney.

Good luck!! I for the life of me do not understand ppl who want to give up on pets when some minor issue comes up!! :(

LittleLoves
May 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the responses everyone.

I am simply baffled. :( My dog Lady has far more behavioural problems than Luke, so I can't understand why she would get rid of him for this one single problem. :confused:

I haven't spoken to her since yesterday, but I'll give her a ring this afternoon and pass along some of the advise given to me.

CyberKitten, I know she would not travel that far. :rolleyes: I run a home daycare and we are undergoing fertility treatments currently, so I wouldn't be able to. If she is open to that idea though, I will see if my FIL is travelling there sometime soon.

Thanks again.

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Would she bring him to Dr. Blaney's clinic in Rothesay? (Fairvale actually but Rotesay area). It is just dfown the road on route 7.

LittleLoves
May 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Cyber, even if she didn't want to drive him there, I will.

I've not gotten a hold of her today, but I will text her later and see where she is at in her head about this.

:sad: I just can't stand the idea of Lukie not being around anymore. She always brings him here to play with Lady. Is it a good place with Dr. Blaney? He really is a gem of a dog. I know that some might find his eyes and size intimidating, but he's soooooo gentle... :sad: