Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I worry about drowning??

kandy
May 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Hazel has a habit of sleeping with her face in her water bowl. We have a spill proof bowl because she will dump her water if she can :D and then lays in the puddle. The bowl has a mid sized hole that the water is in. It won't work when she gets bigger (the hole will be too little for her face :D ). She digs in her water, which I think is a newf thing because all of mine have done it but she literally sleeps with her face in the hole and her nose is about 1/2 inch above the water level. I've been watching her really close when she does it and every once in a while, she'll jerk her head up so I'm sure that she is snorting up water. Should I worry about this?? If I take the water away, she sits at the counter and whines until I put it back down. I had planned on getting her a kiddy pool for the summer, but now I am worried that she'll try to sleep in it and drown!

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM
LOL That is too funny! Well I guess it is not funny for you though because you are worried. I can just see this puppy sleeping in his water bowl. Sorry no advice just wanted to tell you that you have one cute puppy by way it sounds. :D

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Try taking the bowl away again, and when she whines, tell her no or hush. Maybe after a while she will be sick of whinning, and lay down.

you could also try moving her to some where else, after she has fallen asleep, if she is a sound sleeper, and not too heavy, or just take the bowl away from her then.

Maybe even have set times where you have the water dish down..... after she realizes that the bowl won't be set down all day, she may start calming down some....

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
is it a metal bowl?

if so she might like the cool and dampness of it, if you dampen the bowl with hot water then sit in in the freezer for a few minutes

it will be cold and damp but not enough water to drown her

thats all i can think of

but yeah id worry about drowning

Eleni

kandy
May 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
The bowl is plastic - here is a link to it

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 7875&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025844&bmUID=1115930898142

I'll try to take a picture of her doing it so that everyone can see what she does. She does it at my husband's shop too but if hubby puts the bowl up, then Parker won't be able to get a drink either. Maybe I should only put a little water in it so that she would have to stick her face all the way down in it to get a drink. Because she is still short, she would have to stand up to do that. I think you're right Eleni - she does it because she likes the coolness. We wet a towel for her to lay on at night, otherwise, she won't sleep - I guess it's because she gets too hot.

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I think you have to just be sure that she does wake up and choke... I have had so many old doggies, I would be sick with worry. I'd keep checking the breathing... Once she gets that massive newf head, it shouldn't go as deep, right?

BMDLuver
May 12th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Try this product. If she's too warm maybe she would appreciate one of these mats. I'm thinking of getting some for my guys as they are always looking for a cold spot to lie.
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=496&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=561&iSubCat=562&iSubSubCat=573&iProductID=496

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Would that pad damage the floor?

BMDLuver
May 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't think it would damage the floors? Maybe a towel underneath if you have old hardwood. I know the new stuff is tough as nails so it wouldn't bother them. My old hardwood is so scarred up that it wouldn't matter either way. Good point though. I'll have to ask some people that have them if they've had problems.. they recommended them so would think they would have warned but hey, I didn't think about it either, lol.

kandy
May 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the link BMDlover - I had been thinking about looking for something like that for the lake - it gets really hot some days and I didn't know if they even made such a thing. I hadn't thought about one for my house though - I'll have to order a couple so that I don't have to keep putting wet towels down every night (and doing laundry every night too cuz I'm using all my towels)!

Prin: You're right - pretty soon her big ole face will be too big to fit in the hole. She'll still be able to drink from it since they have like 9 ft long tongues :D but she won't be able to stick her whole face in it.