Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best way to contact your SO, at work?

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
OK, I have tried all day to get ahold of James at work today. I have called his cell, called his work, and left an email. Does anyone else have his problem??

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Mine, beleive it or not is the email. He's out on errands all day, and it is illegal to talk on cell when driving..... So when he gets back to the office each time, he checks his email just incase.... Took 1.5 hours for him to respond.....

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 01:52 PM
My SO doesn't have a work number. It's a small office, 6 people only, so they only have one phone line. He does't have a work email either. So I just call him on his cell. 90% of the time he picks up. What I hate is he doesn't check his messages! So..I call, don't get him, leave a message, then he calls back and says "did you call? Why?" If he checked the messages he would know why I called!

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I icq my husband, its fast for us

Eleni

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I voted go and see him because if it is very important and it is an emergency I would want to be there to tell Justin face to face. But if it was just everyday I would call the cell. Justin is at a job I can only call in case of emergency so I never get to call him at work. :D

Luvmypit
May 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM
My BF works as a correctional officer. I dont even have the work number. I just leave messages on his cell. He always calls me on his breaks.

Can you imagine paging officer rob.... your GF wants you to pick up some milk...lol Wouldnt go over well!

BMDLuver
May 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM
My husband travels quite a bit so I can't reach him at his office very easily. He has a cell phone but doesn't always turn it on. He has email but if he's doing a lot of client stuff then it's at the hotel. I've learnt to just wait until he checks in nightly. When 9-11 happened he was supposed to be in the air over Pennsylvania at the time the flight crash landed. I didn't hear from him for 5 hours and was quite a mess. It didn't help that I was pregnant at the time. His boss called me to say would I let him know when I have heard from him. There were 10 coworkers all boarding the same flight. There were many relieved families when I received the call as most had been unable to reach their loved ones. It's a weird feeling to not be able to reach someone however, I've learnt unless it's life or death that waiting extra hours is no sweat. :thumbs up

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I love ICQ but hardly anyone uses it anymore. I have like 100 people on my list...but only 4 or 5 regulars now.

My SO doesn't have ICQ at work as it is a MAC and ICQ and MAC's don't work well...

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I was trying to contact James today to let him know that Judith may be discharged tomorrow. With his work, he would have to let them know today, so there wouldn't be so many hassels tomorrow, if I do call to tell him she is getting released from the hospital.... That way, all his co-workers will be prepared for it, and James wouldn't have to go over stuff before he leaves, and they could just pick up where he left off.....

As far as me going to his place of work, isn't even possible. He works at NSA (national security agency) and in order to get onto the NSA campus, you have to have a special badge. Most of the people that are allowed on there have top secret clearance (like james). I could get a badge, being that we only have 1 vehicle, but it took our friends over 1 year to get hers, and they have to go through this entire process where they question anyone and everyone that could possible know you, just to make sure you are not a terrorist......

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM
what is an ICQ?

Daisy's Owner
May 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM
My husband is self-employed, so his cell phone is his work phone.

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I was trying to contact James today to let him know that Judith may be discharged tomorrow. With his work, he would have to let them know today, so there wouldn't be so many hassels tomorrow, if I do call to tell him she is getting released from the hospital.... That way, all his co-workers will be prepared for it, and James wouldn't have to go over stuff before he leaves, and they could just pick up where he left off.....

As far as me going to his place of work, isn't even possible. He works at NSA (national security agency) and in order to get onto the NSA campus, you have to have a special badge. Most of the people that are allowed on there have top secret clearance (like james). I could get a badge, being that we only have 1 vehicle, but it took our friends over 1 year to get hers, and they have to go through this entire process where they question anyone and everyone that could possible know you, just to make sure you are not a terrorist......

I think you are right you can not go and tell him. LOL :D

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I love ICQ but hardly anyone uses it anymore. I have like 100 people on my list...but only 4 or 5 regulars now.

My SO doesn't have ICQ at work as it is a MAC and ICQ and MAC's don't work well...

there is a program called Gaim you can use on a mac that will allow you to use your icq number.

my husband uses mac's at work as well

Eleni

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
what is an ICQ?

Here is a website for it Lilith! http://www.icq.com/

Lizzie
May 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM
In a situation like that, I would leave a message with a person, and/or speak to someone else in charge who knows me...so that they can prepare for him or notify the group.

If you know the people where he works, and the know the situation with your baby, they will understand why you are calling to tell them...

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Personally, if I can't reach a man of any relation to me, I call his mom. They ALWAYS can get in...

Rick C
May 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM
My assistants always know where I am and my phone rings to them if I don't answer.

If its important, Carol tells them "It's important" and that's conveyed to me PDQ.

As far as the visa-versa, Carol is a housewife but I don't really have urgent things to track her down about. . . . . and she usually calls to tell me what her plans are for being out and when she'll be gone.

Its simple but we function!!

There was the time though when she phoned me at work to tell me the neighbour was shooting at her . . . . . turns out she was outside sunning on the deck when the doofus farmhand was blasting away at the gophers next door. Fortunately, our house is just a little under a rise so the bullets were whizzing overhead . . . . and Abby and Keeper were out in the field chasing the "whiz" of the bullets through the tall grass.

So that was an "It's important" phone call.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

JDG
May 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Colin is crap at answering calls etc. . .if its a can't wait - I call his cell. . .

He doesn't have a desk phone at work :( In any other situation we use email or MSN. . .

Safyre
May 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
ICQ has been replace by MSN (hotmail), YAHOO Messenger ... and AOl till has thiers I beleive.

No one I kow has ICQ anymore.. but almost EVERYONE I know has MSN, you can send txt to cell phones aswell.
I vote as MSN/txt msg the way to contact SO's. *shrugs*

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 05:15 AM
I'm not supposed to contact my husband at work and showing up just isn't an option... I wouldn't even be allowed past the gates.
So because of this my husband calls me on both of his breaks, this way if I ever need anything, it's only a couple hours and I can talk to him.... if I don't need anything it's just a quick I love you call.
If it were to be really urgent I can call, but I've never had to as of yet.

lilith_rizel
May 13th, 2005, 12:03 PM
The guy who answered the phone, I didn't know. There are only 3 or 4 other people at his work, and I know them all, but I think that it might have been someone to fill in for a while, because I know James, and the other workers had SGT Time in the morning, and the office was probably open.

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 01:17 PM
My bf works in a busy law firm and so reaching im can be diificult. But I am equally busy so we tend to co-ordinate with our assistants. In an emergancy, I call his cell. It may be turned off if he is in court or in an amportant mtg so then I just have his assistant contact him. We also use our Blackberries more and more for communication.

BoxerRescueMTL
May 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
My b/f and I work from home together, so I call down the hallway, lol. Sometimes we actually MSN since we're both on our computers, lol, if he's on an important phone call or we're super busy.

raingirl
May 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I Hate MSN, Yahoo and all AOL and their associated messengers. I REFUSE to use them. Took me forever to figure out how to get that stupid little MSN buddy icon off my taskbar!

ICQ can be used on cell phones too. Actually, I have it on mine. I just send a text message to log in, and it sends one back saying who is online, then I have a special code in my address book for ICQ text messaging. It's really cool. I keep in contact with about 10 people on it now...all people who hate MSN as well.