Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone here have turtles?

cookson1979
May 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Hi, I am about to get 2 red eared sliders and was wondering if there are any members with turtle experience :D

Lucky Rescue
May 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I had 4 red eared sliders at one point in time. They grew quite large and even laid eggs! They lived for about 16 years I think.

Turtles need very big tanks, lots of filtration and good and varied diet to thrive, although after owning them, I do feel they are better left in nature.

Safyre
May 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I have had turtles as well, anything in particular you are wondering

MIA
May 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I used to have red eared sliders as well!!! I am sure a few of us can help!!!
:queen:

cookson1979
May 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Hi thanks for all the replies :) I do have some questions....how should I set the tank up? What necessities will I be needing for them besides the tank and food and water? I have a 100 gallon tank will that be big enough. These ones are 3 years old and are 3 inches long how long will it take them to grow really big? Thank you to everyone :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
May 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I think the best thing to do is go to the following message board, where you can get expert advice! Not that people here can't help, but this board is ONLY about turtles.:D

http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/

MIA
May 17th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Make sure you have some large rocks or something for them to climb on and dry out, they need to dry thier shells every so often. I used to keep mine near a window that got morning sun, as they loved to bask in the sunlight, it's good for thier shells as well. Get a REALLY good filter, they are dirty little buggers...