Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Funniest movies?

Luvmypit
May 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Looking for some seriously funny movies. You know friday night kind a movies when you just want to laugh your arse off. Anyone whats your fave funny movie.

I also like stand ups too. Eddie Murphy Delerious.... my FAVOURITE STAND UP special ever,,

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I like Eddie Murphy too!! did you see Raw (at least I think thats what it was called). Very funny (A little raunchy, definately not or kids)
I also like Howie Mandel , and Chris Rock.
Have you seen Russell Peters? he's really funny Too.

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Space Balls
Monty Python anything (but I like Holy Grail)
Four Rooms (a little known Tarentino film)

twinmommy
May 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM
The blue-collar tour??? I think that's what it's called....and They Call me the Tater--stand up with Ron White(also in the blue collar tour)----HYSTERICAL!!!!

Luvmypit
May 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Oh yes I love RAW! Im gonna try the rest, Chris Rock is hilarious too. I havent seen the other suggestions but i hate wondering around the movies store wondering what to get. Im a libra and we can't make decisions..... So I rather someone say here lady watch this.

Rick C
May 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Blazing Saddles is at the top of the list.

Stripes - Bill Murray

Caddyshack

Spaceballs

Yes, I like Dumb and Dumber as well. I admit it.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

A Fish Called Wanda

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Oh yeah I forgot about the John Candy movies! I love that one where they rent a cabin in the woods (great north or something? I forget what its called, but very funny )
And Uncle Buck, and Summer Rental :crazy:

Cactus Flower
May 13th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Aside from anything Monty Python ever put out,.........

The Three Amigos is the funniest movie I ever saw.

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Happycats.. I think it's the Great Outdoors.

I love any National Lampoons... I watch Christmas vacation every Christmas, aside from that I think Vegas Vacation is the funniest... although Van Wilder is a close second.

Writing4Fun
May 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Yup, anything Monty Python (but especially the Holy Grail). If you have the same twisted sense of humour I do, then try Snatch with Brad Pitt. Also, The Full Monty or Muriel's Wedding. If you're looking for stupid-funny, then Rat Race or Big Trouble (with Tim Allen). :D

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
May sound dumb, but anybody seen "A Guy Thing"? It looks like a movie for teenagers but it's so funny. The guy just gets screwed and screwed and screwed starting at his bachelor party.

The first line in the movie is "First you have the Engagement ring, then the Wedding ring and then the SUFFERING".

I too watch Christmas Vacation like 10 times before Christmas. I watch it every time it plays on tv (although the sensoring is stupid).

I'm also a fan of Jacques Clouseau and the Pink Panther. I have all of em. And Austin Powers (I liked all three the best). And There's Something About Mary. Even my grandmother loved that one-- she used to say "But I can't recommend it!!"

And I have to admit, I liked Starsky and Hutch (the new one), and basically any movie where Owen Wilson plays a cop...

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I don't exactly hate Eddie Murphy but I don't really find him funny. He is more like annoying to me. My brother found him hilarious and I really did not see the need for all that profanity but that's just me. I recall once when I was very young going to the drivein and watching a Bob Hope - Phyllis Diller movie called "Boy Have You Got a Wrong Number.", something like that. We laughed ourselves silly and the ppl in the car next tp us had more fun, they said, watching us than the movie. Years later, the same movie was on TV and I have no earthly idea what I found funny in it, lol

I like Tom Hanks and Robin Williams - Splash had some funny moments and I love Goldie Hawn in Overboard. Other than thise for the momebt - I cannot recall anything better. My bf loves British comedy and I don't so that is always FUN, heheh

Luvmypit
May 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Anyone seen office Space? Its not so funny as it is true! Its pretty much about an office. Not bad.

Rick C
May 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I just remembered "Harry & Kumar Go To White Castle" which is hilarious.

You might think its a teen movie but everyone will get a kick out of it . . . . and the cameo by Doogie Howser is hilarious.

Lyle Lovett has made some pretty funny cameos in some movies as well if you care to google him and look up the titles.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Luvmypit
May 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Rick C -HArold and Kumar was so funny. I mean I knew what I was getting into when I rented it but I really didn't think it would be THAT funny!

Oh whats that one wil Will farrel going back to school or joining a fraternity...? That was funny too.

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Old School?

Luvmypit
May 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thats the one. I thought that one was pretty funny.

Cyberkitten Overboard with Goldie is one of my faves!

Shamrock
May 14th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Great thread!

I thought Harold and Kumar thought was a lame teen movie, didnt give it a thought to see.

Well, I had four of my "top funny films" to offer - but Rick's got them all covered already. ;)
I also liked Canadian Bacon - a bit silly.. but funny too. ( are we THAT polite?)
Like Monthy Python films also. :thumbs up
Several people I know told me "Meet the Fockers" was hilarious. Mildly amusing, couple of giggles, I'd give it two and half stars. Guess I was expecting too much.

Any Jim Carey fans here? I am not one of them-at all. My sister thinks he is fabulous, never misses a film.

But. what could be more subective than humour? :crazy:

Luvmypit
May 16th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I like some of Jims movies but some are too stupid. I really liked The truman show. And I just saw limminy snickets a series of unfortunant events.. It was pretty good. Good to see with kids 9 and up as some parts were scary. Just ask Capone all the noise made him take off and go hide.

i must add though that I am really hard to make laugh out loud. I find real life more funny. Like watching americas funniest home videos... See that will make me laugh out loud all day

Sneaky2006
May 16th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I liked Harold and Kumar!
I have to agree, the Doogie Howser part was so funny!
I liked Meet the Fockers too, I actually think it was better than the first one.
I love Jim Carey and all of his movies except Eternal Sunshine... what the heck was that and what was he thinking??? Normally when I don't understand a movie, I will watch it again, but with this one... I just can't do it.

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Maybe it is a generational thing but I find the older movies better than the ones - in terms of comedy anyway - than they are now. I am sure my GenX brother would disagree, lol

Now I don't mean the repeats we saw with Bob Hope et al - I think you had to live in that generation to get it - but Lucille Ball is hilarious in ANY generation. Anyone ever see the movie where she and Desi go on a trailor trip? It is just to laugh all the time crazy!! And the I Love Lucy show (we only ever saw reruns) have some episodes that are classics! Like the one where she and Ethel work in a chocolate factory and the one where she is adverstising some medicine (that contains a hefty dose of alcohol) for a commerical and keeps drinking the stuff. The stuff now is just not as funny as that and I rarely watch sitcom comedy now unless it is reruns like Bewitched, Lucy and even Hogan's Heroes. I love Schultzie! I did like one episode of Seinfeld - the one where they steal the mail and are chasing the JFK gold clubs - that is almost up there with the best Lucy stuff. I guess I am stuck in the 70's when I grew up - I still love Rockford, lol

JDG
May 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM
'Shawn of the Dead!'
'East is East' (living in England made me appreciate these films)

'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' (I have a friend who married into a Greek family - so it was actually quite acurate - which made the movie that much funnier!)

'Best in Show' (Eugene Levy Rocks!)

'The Big Lebowski' (I have no reason why this film makes me laugh)

'High Fidelity' & 'Gross Pointe Blank' (Love, love, love John Cusack)

Luvmypit
May 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
East is East is a darn classic@!!!!! I always try to describe the movie but its so funny!

marko
May 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
3 that I liked are:

1 - What about Bob
2 - How to get ahead in advertising - Weird but seriously funny if you love offbeat
3 - Something about mary
4 - Best in show - Fred Willard as the announcer is hilarious - This is a great pet lover's movie about some of the loony people involved in showing their dogs.
5 - This is spinal tap - Hilarious parody of rock band personalities.

Rick C
May 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
'High Fidelity' & 'Gross Pointe Blank' (Love, love, love John Cusack)

My wife and I were chowing down on brunch at Coogies, a surfer place in Malibu, California two years ago in May, when in walked Jon Cusak and John McGinley (Scrubs) and sat down two tables away.

My wife Carol started hyper-ventilating as did the lady beside us. Cusak and McGinley took turns yakking on a cellphone which looked suspiciously like a method to keep from being bothered by fans while they ate. NcGinley had his little boy with him.

Loved Shawn Of The Dead too.

A Mighty Wind is pretty funny in a laid back, folk-singing kind of way.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

JDG
May 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Luvmypit. . .I'm so glad someone else has seen this film and thought it was funny. . . .The kid in the parka man! That is mint!

Rick. . . I am soooooooo jealous - I ran into Bob Sagat once (from full house, America's funniest home videos) - definatly not as cool as John Cusack *bliss*

We have 'A Mighty Wind' on DVD too. . . .its super funny, but I think 'Best in Show' edges it out a tiny tiny bit. . .

I ashamed to admit, but I also find "Dude, Where's my Car" very funny. Ha ha ha!!

iRONKNiGHT
May 17th, 2005, 10:40 PM
My pick's well for the time being until i think of others are:

1. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
Staring: Stanley Kramer, Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle,
Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn
.. what a classic..

2. Rat Race (2001)
Staring: Jerry Zucker, John Cleese, Rowan
Atkinson, Lanei Chapman,
Whoopi Goldberg, Cuba Gooding Jr., Seth Green,
Wayne Knight, Jon Lovitz, Breckin Meyer...
(click here (http://www.justmovietrailers.com/video/1005/rat_race_main_trailer_300.html) to view the movie trailer)

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I'm a Jim Carrey fan. I love the Truman Show. One of my favs-- not too funny though.. not that kind of movie. And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was very well done. I love the details in that movie. I didn't like Man on the Moon or Liminy Snicket's... Too pointless that one.

Hey, speaking of kiddie movies, did anybody see the Polar Express in 3D at IMAX? I thought it was pretty good. Not too deep but a good christmas movie nonetheless.

nymph
May 25th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Robin Williams could always bring laughs and tears to me.

Mask was a great one too. The Truman Show was not funny at all, but it was a great movie. I have a poster of The Truman Show.

Luvmypit: we actually watched Office Space in the office! And we laughed our head off: the stabler guy (Mr. Jimmy James from NewsRadio) ...hahahahahaha~~~~~~~~~~

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
My favorite funny movie is "Nothing to lose". I can't remember the leading actor's name, but Chris Rock is the other main character. My favorite part is where the main guy catches his feet on fire trying to get a spider off of himself! I've watched it many times and I always get a bellyache because I laugh so hard!

Not a big Jim Carey fan, but I did like Liar, Liar and Bruce Almighty. Hate the Ace Ventura ones.

Sneaky2006
May 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM
My favorite funny movie is "Nothing to lose". I can't remember the leading actor's name, but Chris Rock is the other main character. My favorite part is where the main guy catches his feet on fire trying to get a spider off of himself! I've watched it many times and I always get a bellyache because I laugh so hard!I have that movie, love it. The guys name is Tim Robbins... also loved him in The Shawshank Redemption, excellent movie, not funny though.

dmc123
May 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Just a slight correction, Nothing to Lose stars Martin Lawrence and Tim Robbins, and is very, very funny to me. I own that one.

Another one I thought was funny is Unconditional Love, serious in some parts but some of the funniest scenes. Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett and Dan Aykroyd.

I also thought 13 going on 30 was funny, so go figure!

Just my two cents worth.

Diane

Shamrock
May 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
"The Gods Must Be Crazy"
Forget the year, its pretty old... but funny, and a unique classic that still holds up today!

happycats
May 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I have that movie, love it. The guys name is Tim Robbins... also loved him in The Shawshank Redemption, excellent movie, not funny though.

OMG Shawshank redemption! One of my favorites!
Jumanji (sp) I liked that one (robin Williams is the best, I heard his stand up is hilarious)

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I love everything that everyone has said.

Anyone seen 5th Element...chris tucker is hilarious, and bruce willis is pretty funny in it too.

Gosh..all those movies in the early 90's like "what about bob" "Weekend at bernies"

I am a fan of the older stuff as well...old to me that is...I love Goonies! I can recite the whole movie and all the funny bits.

I also loved all the American Pie movies...

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Oh...anyone seen "Oliver" with sly stalone and marisa tomei? Hilarious.

Did I mention Fierce Creatures up there in a previous post? It's hilarious too....it's like a sequal to fish called wanda.

Sneaky2006
May 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Anyone seen 5th Element...chris tucker is hilarious, and bruce willis is pretty funny in it too.Multi-pass! Loved that part.

I love the Goonies... I have it on DVD, now my son loves watching it!

Copper'sMom
May 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I loved Spaceballs!!! lol

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Some oldies but goodies!

-Bull Durham
-The police academy
-Trading places (I think thats what it was called with Eddie Murphy)
-Beverly Hills cop
-Good morning vietnam (funny and a tear jerker)

Karin
May 26th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I love everything that everyone has said.

Anyone seen 5th Element...chris tucker is hilarious, and bruce willis is pretty funny in it too.

Gosh..all those movies in the early 90's like "what about bob" "Weekend at bernies"

I am a fan of the older stuff as well...old to me that is...I love Goonies! I can recite the whole movie and all the funny bits.

I also loved all the American Pie movies...

Weekend At Bernies...has my vote.

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Grumpy Old Men. I love it. I especially love the horny old great grandpa... :)

doggy lover
May 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Blast from the past Cheech and Chong movies kill me. Oh yeah Grumpier old men, Raw, and Christmas Vacation just make me laugh and laugh.

iRONKNiGHT
June 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
"The Gods Must Be Crazy"
Forget the year, its pretty old... but funny, and a unique classic that still holds up today!

Yeah The God's Must Be Crazy both 1 & 2 :) early 80's South African Movies! too funnnnny!! To think it all started out with a Coke bottle!

BeagleMum
June 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
My vote for a funny movie goes to "Elf" with Will Farrell. A bit of a Christmas but it is so good, I can watch it all year round.

Talley3000
June 5th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Anyone seen a movie called I Love You To Death with Kevin Kline and River Phoenix?
It's about a wife who discovers her husband has been consistently cheating on her - so she decides to kill him. Throw in two drug-addled 'assassins' in the shape of Keanu Reeves and William Hurt, a mechanic grandmother who tries to blow up his car and a hippie pizza boy who's obsessed with her - and you've got it all.
Absolutely hilarious, I really recommend it! :)

Stewart
June 5th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Monty Pythons "The Life of Brian"
East is East
Hear no evil,See no evil,Speak no evil !
Ali Gee in da house ! :highfive:
To name a few ! ;)

Writing4Fun
June 5th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before: "The Bird Cage" - Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, Hank Azaria and Gene Hackman were brilliant...pure genius. :D

Lissa
July 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Okay, I'm a big Jim Carrey fan, I loved Liar Liar and yes, I'll admit it - I laughed my butt off at the Ace Ventura movies... :o

I also LOVE Hugh Grant - especially in Nine Months, About A Boy and with Sandra Bullock in Two Weeks Notice...I love the "british humour!!"

Also, has anybody seen Three Fugitives with Nick Nolte and Martin Short?? - that was FUNNY - especially the wig scene! My sides hurt after that movie!

Speaking of Martin Short, in Innerspace he was hilarious too!

Melissa