Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Judith update

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM
As you all know, Judith went in for surgery on the 10th. She is doing great. I got a call from the social worker about 30 minutes ago, and she said that she is having her drainage tubes, iv's and oxygen taken off today. And she will be released maybe tomorrow or for sure on Saturday!

I called my mom to let her know and she freaked out. She said it is too soon. But her surgeon says that most of the patients who get this surgery are out of the hospital within 1 week...... Is she just over-reacting? Or should I be concerned too. The surgeon is 2nd best within the USA and 5th best in the world.....

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Oh, and has anyone heard of a thermometer that gets taped to the head, for constant monitoring? My mom said that I NEED to get one, if I do decided to bring her home so soon. I have never heard of such a thing. Wouldn't a thermometet-paci be just fine.... a thermometer is a thermometer, as long as it works correctly, right?

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Your mom probably means those ones like in the fish tanks (black strip that changes colour)...

I think any thermometre is fine.

Glad to hear she is doing well!

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Im sure if you needed a special thermometer teh dctor would ahve mentioned it.

I know when Issac was 3 months old he was hospitalised with RSV, when they released him I kept an eye on his tempurature, and used one of those pacifier thermometers.

depending on her age one taped to her head would likely get ripped off quickly as kids tend to do that sort of thing.

Great to hear shes doing well!!

Eleni

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Judith is 4 months. I do plan on watching her temp.... I just don't see why my mom is having a fit about her coming out of the hospital so soon. I know she had 2 kids herself that were hospitalized, but the youngest one was a newborn, and she is now 16..... medical technology has changed ALOT since then..... I'm not all that worried that she is being released so soon. We had a pre-operation appointment with the surgeon the on the 9th, and he straight out said that she may be released as soon as 3 days, it all depends on how well she recovers. And he is the one deciding on her discharge date. He's older, and has been doing surgeries on cardiac patients for 25 years. So I can trust his opinion on when he says Judith is ready......

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Your mom is just being a mom and a grandmother. I think that is how all grandmas are! I am glad to hear that Judith is doing so well. I would think that if they are realising her so soon than she must be doing well. I know sometimes it has to do with insurance. Like people that do have it are more likely to stay and watched where people that do not they are more likely to send home faster. It is not right but I know that is how it is. Give her a big hug for me! :grouphug:

Luvmypit
May 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Lilleth Im glad she is doing ok! Every positive move its a relief! You got a tough girl there!
Good luck and Im thinking about little Judith and You too!

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Well, it is not a case of the insurance that is for sure. We got a letter from our insurance company stating that she is covered until August first, and if she needs further care, all Childrens needs to do is contact them, and let them know, and they will cover it..... So glad that we have the insurance we got. I am just hoping that I get over the flu before Judith comes home. I had to come home from the hospital last night, because I wasn't feeling good, and this morning, I am sicker than ever. I couldn't even get out of bed for the longest time, I was feeling so miserable. If nothing else, I guess I will just have to get some of those mask things to wear around Judith, until I am better......

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
You sure it is the flu or is it from the pregnancy! :D

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I am sure it is just not the pregnancy, my sickness goes past not being able to keep food down, between that, and the other thing, I have spent 50% of my morning in the bathroom, so I am sure it is the flu or something...

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
When my mom was preggers with my brother she was in the bathroom (lets say doing the nasty) LOL all the time. I am sure you have the flu (it is going around here) but I know my mom kept thinking she did but it was the baby! LOL We call him the poo child. LOL Just kidding! :D

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Well, I am starting to feel alot better, so I think it was just the bug... I will be happy when I am over it completely, that's for sure. I probably got something while I was in the hospital, with it being filled with people who are sick themselves, and all. Not to mention, I didn't get that well of a sleep the first night. I spent it in the PICU waiting room, just incase anything went wrong with Judith..... There isn't even a light switch to turn off the lights, so I had to sleep in a VERY bright room, all night, on a small couch on top of it. So, I didn't get much sleep......

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM
That very well could be it. You could be so tired that it made you sick! Hope you start feeling better soon. Keep us posted on Judith. You have any names picked out yet for the new baby? :D

lilith_rizel
May 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Well, I talked to Judith's nurse this morning, she is still on some oxygen, but only when she is sleeping, and the level is only 12.5% so it should be off soon, they hope. They doctor is still talking about releasing her sometime this weekend. James and I are kinda happy that we will have another day to ourselves. I know it sounds terrible..... but the short break really helped. We got some well needed rest, and were able to go shopping for paint, ladder, and all that stuff. We are re-painting the house soon, really want to to a jungle theme in the nursery, being that we are painting it green, but James said he doesn't want tigers and monkeys all over the walls.... Think he is just joking......

Princesss04
May 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Make sure you do not paint! let hubby do it all and no changing liter boxes! :D Enjoy your nine months. :D

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Those thermeters have been around since the 80's and are pretty routine in NICU's and PICU's. As for the release date, that too is not unusual though another day would not hurt. Many parents want their babies out as soon as possible but I can certainly understand you needing time for yourself. You have been through alot and need to take care of yourself too!! (So you can be healthy for Judith and yourself!)

I hope she continues to progress well! :grouphug:

lilith_rizel
May 14th, 2005, 09:16 PM
James and I went to DC to visit Judith for a while this afternoon. She id doing great. Her color is alot pinker, before she was really pale, due to the low % pf oxygen in her blood. The only thing she is on is meds, and a monitor (which all inpatients are on). I am a bit concerned about the chat I had with the nurse yesterday though. She said that everytime Judith goes to sleep, he oxygen level drops to 60%, which is pretty low, so before she is released (probably tomorrow from what the nurse said today) I am going to talk to the doctor about it, and ask if she could be sent home with an oxygen level monitor. Even James is a bit concerned about that........

Melanie, I don't paint at all, and when James does paint, I wear a special mask that keeps out the fumes. And as far as kitty boxes go, I will have to do those when James is gone, but we have those litter bags we keep in the kitty boxes, and they are dumped daily, being that we have Judith and the new baby on the way. And if I do HAVE to dump them, I put on that mask, and gloves, take out the bagm tie it up, and toss it in the trash. And of course wash my hands right after. I was doing that even before ( gloves atleast) we found out I was expecting again......

twinmommy
May 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM
You are definitely my hero!!! You seem so calm and collected!! A high tech environment can be so intimidating--you are a real pro at this!! AND your pregnant,AND have the flu!! I would be a basket case by now, you should pat yourself on the back--(A LOT :) )

lilith_rizel
May 16th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Judith was released yesterday, and is doing great! Teething more than ever though!!!! Went and got baby tylenol, and the only flavor they had was blue raspberry! She makes this sour face, at first, when I give it to her and then she smiles......

She is also still really sore, so picking her up, without hurting her has been almost as near as possible. I feel horrible everytime I go to pick her up, and she cries even more :sad:

The doctor also recommends us keeping her sitting up, instead of laying down for a while, so she slept in the car seat last night, and didn't sleep well at all, she was up 4-5 times last nigh crying, because she wanted in her crib :(

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I am glad to hear that she is well enough to come home! We would love to see pictures of her again. Keep us updated and hang in there it will get better. :D

Schwinn
May 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear that she is doing well. Thanks for the update!