Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Air Travel with my Dog

Corrie
May 12th, 2005, 09:57 AM
We will be traveling to Florida from Toronto at the end of June with our 6 month old West Highland Terrier, Charlotte. She is small enough to travel with us in the cabin and I have already purchased her “dog ticket” ($117.00 Canadian each way!!!!!) :mad:

Anyway, I have spoken to our Vet who has suggested NOT giving her any tranquilizers or homeopathic calmers for the trip as he says the research now shows that some of these drugs can inhibit the dog’s natural ability to regulate their body temperature.

Anyone have any experience with this? If you have given your dog anything for flying, what did you give?

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM
if the dog is with you and doesnt stress she shoudlnt need anything.

do you think she will stay calm?

ive heard people suggest rescue remedy for stress, dunno howefective it is ive never used it

Eleni

Corrie
May 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Eleni, I am not sure how she will be! I am hoping for a calm little girl, but she is a terrier and I guess that says it all. :evil:

I have also hear about rescue remedy (we use it for horses) Anyone use it and have good results?

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Make sure the dog is used to the carrier you put them in before the trip. My dog loves his kennel and will fall asleep in it...

twinmommy
May 12th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I would use Rescue Remedy as well, starting a little while before the day you leave. Does your vet know that your dog will be with you in the cabin? Possibly the comment was made with respect to body temp if he/she thought the dog would be in cargo where it is cold. I'd give the rescue remdy and a "blankie"....and toys....and treats....and make sure to bring some bottled water (for yourself too) the air is sooo dry in planes and some flight attendants get peaved to get water for the dog. :rolleyes:

wilstef
May 13th, 2005, 09:20 PM
i recently flew and had my dog (min. poodle) with me in the cabin. i didn't tranquilize her and other than a bit of whining during take-off and landing, she was quite comfortable in her little kennel. i asked the flight attendants for some ice cubes and let holly lick them from time to time - easier than pouring out water that might spill etc. etc. i also put a little lavender sachet in her kennel - a bit of aromatherapy. good luck on your trip.

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I flew to Florida with my cat on Air Canada - in the cabin (NEVER allow them to put her in the cargo hold!). I gave her a few drops of Rescue Remedy and she was fine! Please do not give her any tranquillizers - it is just not safe. And make sure with the airline - tho since she has a ticket I am assuming you have- that there is a place for her!

SnowDancer
May 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Not to worry you, and I am sure you have checked out dog's weight plus carrier thoroughly with the airline or they wouldn't have issued the ticket, but could I ask how much your dog weighs? I do understand that your pup is only 6 months old, but based on Highland Terriers that I am acquainted with the first through that occurred to me was that your pup might just be a bit too big already, unless of course he is a toy or smaller breed type. My 10 lb. mini Dachshund plus approved Air Canada crate JUST made the in-cabin requirements. When I made our booking I was interrogated pretty thoroughly so expect you were as well. We were on Air Canada and Lufthansa - with Lufthansa of course being very familiar with the Dachshund. Re sedation, my Dachshund did not sedate - was like me - opposite effect. Only problem really was "Meal Service and where is MINE!" - typical Dachshund. On day of trip get there early. Hope all goes well.

Corrie
May 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM
My little girl is 4KG right now, so I am sure she will be bigger at 6 months when we travel. We are flying first class, don't know if that makes a differnce or not as to the size of crate and weight they will allow...to be honest they didn't even question me on her weight!

I haven't purchased her travel crate as of yet, wanted to see how tall she will be in June....I did see some really CUTE carry bags (all airline approved) but they are about $160.00 Canadian. Any one have any websites or suggestions as to where to buy a carry crate?

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM
A tip I was given by a very nice lady at the airline - she was not in sales - she was a fellow Dachshund lover and understood that due to my dog's back surgery there was no way I could take a chance in him not being allowed on the plane in-cabin due to size - and DISAGREEMENT about his carrier. I did have an airline approved carrier, not that he was ever in it except in emergencies - but that was according to the sticker put on it by the manufacturer. You will hear stories from people, as well as arguments at check-in, re carry-on suitcases which according to manufacturer are "airline" approved - but when push came to shove, wouldn't go through the measuring gizmo. If you are going to buy a crate, and are flying Air Canada, you can buy the crate through them. That way there is absolutely no excuse they can give you re the crate not being the approved size. May not be the crate of your choice, but better than the alternative. Flying first class won't help much - actually your chances of having complaints from fellow passengers increases as your class does. What will help is there is more room for the crate. You should be okay in terms of size for your June flight - but not sure about future flights once your dog is full grown - could be just over the top depending on your dog's final size. If she comes in at 15 lbs. you will have a problem since crate is considered in total weight - a fact many people do not note when reading the travelling with pets section of the airline's website. Surprised you weren't queried about your dog's weight - first thing I was asked - but then at check-in if my dog was not allowable size, he wouldn't have been allowed on. Hope you have a good flight - my husband didn't want to be on same plane as pup and me! Well, actually, we prepared to travel "alone" as well.