Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wolf is Barking all day long

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2005, 10:32 AM
My neighbours confirmed my suspicions last night. Wolf is barking non stop all day long which has resulted in him completely loosing his voice. They say they dont mind but they are just nice people, Im sure it gets annoying because their dogs can hear him so they start to bark. He has a kong which I think keeps him quiet until it runs out. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do to keep him quiet? (He is a 3 year old pomeranian)

Thanks
Sarah

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I have an idea...you know those feeders that you can program to open on a timer, what if you got one, and put a second kong in it instead of food?

How long is he alone? Do you freeze the kong?

Have you tried a treat ball? You fill it with kibble and let the dog get his own breakfast out. It keeps our dog occupied for a few hours.

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have an idea...you know those feeders that you can program to open on a timer, what if you got one, and put a second kong in it instead of food?

How long is he alone? Do you freeze the kong?

Have you tried a treat ball? You fill it with kibble and let the dog get his own breakfast out. It keeps our dog occupied for a few hours.

He is alone for about 5 hours in the morning, then we let them all out at lunch and then about 4 hours in the afternoon. We have an hour lunch so we go home and play and feed and whatever we can squeeze into that time.

Where would I find one of those balls?

We usually freeze his kong over night, but then at lunch we wash it and fill it so its not frozen for him in the afternoon.

I suppose gettig him another kong would help! then we could always have one in the freezer for him!

I love the idea of the timed release kong, any idea the price of one of those? Ill have a look on line.

Thnks for the idea's they are great

Sarah

MIA
May 12th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Do you leave the TV or radio on for him? My dogs like animal planet and I keep it on for them during the day.. Also if you can get him out for a decent run in the am that will help tire him out.

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
hehe glad im not the only one who leaves animal planet on.

at night sam wont sleep without it

Eleni

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I will leave animal planet on this afternoon. He will be able to hear it but wont beable to be near the tv.
Thanks

MIA
May 12th, 2005, 01:08 PM
ROFL I pay extra for it and the dogs mostly enjoy it!!!! I find that leaving some backgound noise on really helps. When I lived in an apartment Chopper would bark all evening unless we left the light and TV on... They do have CD's made for dogs that apparently soothe them, I've not tried it as I am in a house now and it doesn't matter if they bark as nobody can really hear them!!!!

goldenblaze
May 12th, 2005, 01:29 PM
CD's made for dogs :) yes I have one. Puppy Tracks relaxation music for pets, it was a gift for christmas from a friend of mine for the boys. I leave animal plant on most of the time but have the CD going in the other room for my birds. :D

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Our dog just sleeps the entire time we are gone. But when we leave, he gets a kong, we leave lights on, leave the radio on, and hit the kitchen and bathroom fans to block out noise from the hallways of our building. Usually he ignores the kong and doesn't eat it until we get home!