Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pinched Nerve Treatment

Sneaky2006
May 12th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Anyone have a pinched nerve, or know anyone that does, what's it like? What is the treatment for it? The only thing I've read about the treatment for it is special pillows (!?) or surgery. Does a muscle relaxer help for this sort of thing?

Rita
May 12th, 2005, 06:16 AM
My Mother had a pinched nerve many years ago .... she couldn't walk from the pain and ended up in a wheelchair, her doctor sent her to a surgeon (orthopedic I think) and was scheduled for surgery. I convinced her to consult a chiropractor before agreeing to surgery (she was in her late 50's and diabetic). Within a couple of weeks of treatments from the chiro she was out of the wheelchair and walking again :thumbs up

wjranch
May 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Within a couple of weeks of treatments from the chiro she was out of the wheelchair and walking again :thumbs up

I also advocate chiropractic care. I had a lower back injury a few years back, daily migraines, constant pain... sciatic pain that was terrible. I finally went to chiropractor and can honestly say the headaches are minimal these days, the sciatic pain is gone and I can walk around freely :)
I'd strongly recommend it long before surgery.

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I had a bulging disk which was causing a pinched nerve, or something like that. Couldn't waslk, get dressed, nothing. Physio took care of that, I went 4 times and Im better. They also gave me certain exercised and streches to do to prevent it from happening again.

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I got chiropractic care for my sciatic nerve causing me pain.

It was wonderful!! the pain was much much less

Eleni

raingirl
May 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I guess it depends on whether it is chronic or acute.

I had one that was acute (short term) it happened a few times. My doc showed me how to stretch to reduce it, and it never happened again. It caused my whole left arm to have this numb intense pain. It happened the night before a cake decorating class no less...I never cry when I'm in pain and I had to for this. 2 extra strength Motrin made the pain subside until I could see a doc, but my arm still felt numb.

If you have chronic pinched nerve, I recommend a good Chiropractor who also has physical fitness training who can teach you stretches, not just adjust your back.

(my old job was handling claims for car injuries, and a lot of people get pinched nerves from whiplash!)

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the replies!!
It caused my whole left arm to have this numb intense pain.It's weird how that's even possible... when I touch my arm it is numb but yet it is killing me! That and my neck/shoulder.
I've been taking a painkiller that my MIL got recently for a pinched nerve! And it works like a charm... I know I shouldn't take someone elses prescription... we even see the same doctor, I'd like to think he would've given me the same thing :D ... doctors and I don't get along, well, I don't like them very much.
So it being tolerable, I am able to stretch and move my neck with ease and it's already getting better, I never even thought of stretching, I would've thought it would make it worse.

Cactus Flower
May 13th, 2005, 01:50 PM
A chiropractor could probably help you a great deal. Leaving a pinched nerve without treatment can cause permanent damage to the nerve.

Muscle relaxers do help some, because the muscles react to the nerve being pinched, often by spasming. Sometimes getting the muscles to relax helps whatever is pinching the nerve to slip back into place.
I would put a damp towel in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and lay it across your neck and shoulders, to help relax the muscles. Let your head "hang" to stretch, and roll it slowly from side to side. Don't leave the towel on for more than 10 minutes.
Then- ICE. Ice is wonderful for taking out inflammation, and I can't imagine you having a pinched nerve without it causing inflammation.
Never leave ice on for more than 20 minutes (my doc says do 20 minutes on, then 20 minutes off). Heat shouldn't be left on for more than 20 minutes, either, or it can CAUSE inflammation. I'd say ten minutes tops for the heat.

This is, of course, until you can get to the chiropractor.....

raingirl
May 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM
My doc told me if I ever get pinched nerve pain in my arms, to stretch my neck in the opposite direction of the side that has pain, so that the vertebrae space out and releive the pain.

Sneaky2006
May 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks you guys!! :love:

CyberKitten
May 13th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I am not sure what you mean by a pinched nerve? Sciatica???? Or a nerve that has been damaged in some way? Or an orthopedic prob? A "pinched nerver" can mean so many things and ppl confuse the term.

I have radio frequency denervation for my own lumbar vertebrae chronic pain - NOT fun and it does not alleviate all the pain but it is better than nothing and allows me to take fewer pain meds. I know some people with sciatic pain or other problems are being considered for this novel treatment. If you have a pain clinic in your neighbourhood, get a referral from your family doctor.

And pls so NOT take someone rlse's script! The person and their doctor are medically liable if something happens to you - never mind that everyone is affected differently by pain meds especially. See your own doc asap and get something for the pain and look into what you can do to solve the problem - surgery, etc. There are some really new ortho surgeries that take literllay days to recover from that used to take months! It is a new world in that realm!

Cactus Flower
May 14th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I am not sure what you mean by a pinched nerve? Sciatica????

LOL- if she has a sciatic nerve in her arm, she's REALLY in trouble!!! LOL!!!!!

http://www.sciatica-home-treatment.com/Sciatica%20Symptoms.htm

CyberKitten
May 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hey, I don't teach the anatomy class, :) I just read the first post, lol - scanning as usual! Mind you, I still don't see the arm part - reading too quickly. (Found it now) Pinched nerves are most often in the spine. It may not be a pinched nerve. How do you know that is what it is? Have you had it diagnosed?

Here is an article that may help tho of course like most info, it refers to back pain. I do hope you see a doctor tho. I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of chioprtactors (and no, it is NOT professional jealously, lol). I have seen too much damage done by some who are not as qualified as they think they are. Or people think that they can continue with their activities and aggrevatre an injury or problem.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article232.html

If that pain med helps, talk to your doc and get a script but a pain clinic would be great! Pain clinic s tend to have a multidisciplianary approach and may be able to combine physio with other recommendations. For really acute probs, cortisone works wonders but it is NOT a med you want to take on a lt basis.