Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Throwing up too much?

levimh
May 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM
How much throwing up is too much (for a dog)? I know my cat throws up occasionally, because she has long hair and washes often, but my dog throws up and he doesn't have long hair, plus he doesn't groom himself that much. I'm aware that throwing up atleast once everyday would obviously be too much...but what's normal?

raingirl
May 11th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I would say never would be normal...or once in a while at most (once every few months)...

Karin
May 11th, 2005, 09:42 PM
If it is your dog vomiting you need to give a little bit more info than supplied with your first post. You were a little vague.

wjranch
May 11th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I have found with my dogs (especially the pup) if we are late getting them their dinner, they may throw up some slimy green bile... I believe it is due to their stomachs being too empty :( It doesn't happen often, but, sometimes things run later then expected and it can't be helped.
As I said, it's mainly the pup that this happens with. He's a growing boy and when he's burned up all his breakfast, that tummy is seriously empty!

Maybe you could provide alittle more info on what your particular problem is??? Basically, vomitting is not a good sign for your dog. He/She could have gotten into something poisonous, like antifreeze.
If you are truly concerned, get him/her to the vet ASAP!

levimh
May 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Yes, it is my dog. The last time he threw up was about 2 days ago. He had eaten some grass outside, on our walk, and when he came inside, he threw it up right away. I had given him his breakfast before going out and he hadn't eaten it. He hasn't been eating his breakfast when I first put it down, for about the past three-four months. I believe that's just because he's gotten used to his routine and know's that I'm always going to feed him. Sometimes when I get up a little later than usual, he'll throw up (a yellowish goo). Then when I feed him, he won't eat it.

He only throws up once in awhile (once, maybe twice a month), which is why I didn't think anything was wrong. He only started throwing up more than usual in the warmer months, so I figured it could've had to do with him getting hair in his mouth and swallowing. Other than that he's fit as a fiddle.

I was discussing this with my grandmother and she mentioned that her dog will go outside and eat grass and then throw it up a couple minutes later.

Any thoughts?

wjranch
May 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Dogs can not digest grass. So when they aren't feeling quite right, they will eat it and cause themself to throw up. How old is your dog? and have you had the vet check him out?
It really doesn't sound like something to concern yourself too much over (ie: emergency vet trip) but, still a good idea to mention to vet when you visit regulary for shots or whatever.

levimh
May 11th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. He'll be 2 years old in June.

I am going to mention this to the vet this summer, when he goes in for reg. visit. :)