Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you think about teeth?

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I went to the dentist today.. I have had a space all my life and up until recently the only way to fix it was to surgically remove the piece of bone between them that is stopping them from coming together. He was telling me what some of the relatively new options are to close it up (my dentist really dislikes spaces).

I have grown to accept my space because I really didn't feel it was bad enough for surgery (my brother went through with it...)... But now that there are all these painless (yet minorly expensive) procedures that can "fix" my smile, I'm wondering. I don't want my space to be part of a first impression I give if I don't have to. Like if I go to get a caricature of me done, that will most likely be the focus... The most expensive procedure would be $3000 do do all my four front teeth. Obviously, being a student I can't afford that right now, but there are temporary fixes (last about 2 years) that cost around $200.

So what do you think? Are spaces fine or are they just imperfect smiles?

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 04:52 PM
It doesnt look at all bad to me, I say leave em as they are, if its not a promlem for you chewing r the function of your mouth then its not an issue, and if its not effecting your self esteem adversely.

Eleni

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Eleni. I am lucky that my teeth otherwise are straight so nothing it protruding or anything... It's a fresh idea, so I have to think about it... ;)

CyberKitten
May 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I did not respond to the poll b/c it is not mutually exclusive or exhaustive (sorry - I do too much research, lol) In other words, none of the respones applies to me. I just think it is up to the individual. If it bothers you, fix it. If not, leave it alone. And oops, I did not notice the piccture. It looks fine!!

BMDLuver
May 11th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I was expecting to see a gape the size of a tooth not a tiny slit. Your teeth look lovely so why mess with a good thing? Dentists like to make a buck whether they are "good" dentists or not so of course they are going to mention the latest and greatest fix. My theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

chico2
May 11th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Today,unfortunately everything that is not perfect has to be fixed at an incredible expence,dentists want to make money.
Personally I believe a little gap adds to your personality,why strive to look like everyone else?
Only in North-America are we so very obcessed with straight perfect teeth,if you ever watch a European movie,you will see that is not the case in Europe,individuality is what it's all about and Prin,I would hardly call your space a problem,looks fine to me.

Daisy's Owner
May 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I agree 100% with everything Chico just said.

I don't want my space to be part of a first impression I give if I don't have to.

I suppose it isn't much of a consolation, but you've made a first impression on everyone here, and nobody even noticed the space between your teeth. :)

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 07:10 PM
LOL, that's because you didn't see it before you got to know me... The thing is, if you don't have a gap, nobody says anything about your teeth. If you do, people say "Your gap looks fine to me". It is noticeable and I don't particularly like being noticeable because of teeth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an enormous issue with my teeth, I am just wondering if I like my teeth because I LIKE them or because I have never had the option to change them.

meb999
May 11th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I had a gap between my teeth and I had them fixed the painfull way...BRACES!! for three years I wore braces (as if teenage years weren't akward enough without filling your mouth full of metal!!)

I don't see your 'gap' as needing fixing...but it all depends on how much it bothers you. Nowadays a little gap is so easily fixed by a dentist, that's it's not worth living with it if it bothers you...

raingirl
May 11th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I would say your gap is fine. But people who have a gap at every tooth, that just bothers me. I knew a kid once that had three middle upper front teeth! I told him that, and he didn't beleive me. He told his mom who had NEVER noticed it. SHe took him to the dentist who pulled it the same day! He didn't like me so much after that...

Lizzie
May 11th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I agree. If they aren't bothering you at all then why fix them? If you do opt to fix them, I would try saving up money for the permanent procedure. Why bother spending 200 every two years when you could wait it out and get the whole shebang fixed if you start saving now (put the 200 towards the permanent procedure).

I am a real teeth person so I can completely understand anyone's desire to have their teeth fixed...although, I do agree that yours do not stand out to me as needing much work...they add character!

Sneaky2006
May 11th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I don't see a prob with your teeth and I do think a gap does add character to a person.
But! My son is having problems with his teeth and he has a gap between his teeth already larger than yours and it will probably get bigger as his front teeth end up just like his fathers. Which is a huge gap and front teeth pointing outward to make a point. He will be getting his fixed, if he didn't want to we wouldn't push it but I'm pretty sure he'll be okay with it.

Here's a pic of his teeth... this was after his birthday party and I told him to smile big and this is what I got... he was wired on sugar and his teeth are not green, it's from the icing on the cupcakes! :D

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I had a gap between my teeth and I had them fixed the painfull way...BRACES!! for three years I wore braces (as if teenage years weren't akward enough without filling your mouth full of metal!!).
I can't fix it with braces... I have a bone that blocks the teeth from coming together. My brother had the bone piece removed and I couldn't imagine doing it...

I do think that teeth are an important part of a first impression and it's hard to not think about the options that are now available to create the "perfect" smile... :rolleyes:

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I voted before I saw your teeth. I had mine fixed just becauce I was a cheerleader and was in gymnastics for a long time and it was a pressure thing. You have to be perfect so that is why I voted fix it. But mine was 100 times worse than your I could stick my tongue through it. I think yours is fine. You are a very pretty lady and I would not change that. :D

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks... But I do value your opinion pre and post seeing the pic... I know it's not huge... It's just there... :rolleyes: Not a big deal but I was just wondering what you all thought.

Cactus Flower
May 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I think it all boils down to whether the gap bothers you, or not. If it does, why not try the "temporary" fix? You might find that you love it, and you might find that after two years, it doesn't make enough of a difference to you to bother replacing it with a permanent fix.

I'm not sure why they can't just bond or "cap" the 2 front teeth, extending them just enough to fill the gap. That would be permanent, non-surgical and simple, too. The bonding material they use these days looks exactly like natural enamel.

I voted that they add to your uniqueness, because I think your teeth are just fine, unless they bother YOU.

P.S- My son just got his braces off, and I still tell him "go brush your 4,000 dollar teeth" :D !.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I think your teeth look fine, I have a gap too about the same width I never really paid much attention to it until my new dentist asked if i wanted it fixed i figured if it hasn't bothered me yet then just to leave it.

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 01:50 AM
ooooo the leave it's and the get rid of it's are neck and neck.

here is the procedure for both, as explained to me...
The temporary one would be to add to each tooth to fill the gap using the same sort of material as for fillings. It would actually count as 2 fillings for insurance purposes so it would be almost free. He did a test one for me today, just so I would see what it looked like. It was so weird to see my gap closed but at the same time, weird to see my teeth NORMAL. My teeth are pretty narrow, so adding to the sides doesn't make them look too big. This is the one that would last about 2 years.

The second involves grinding the opposite side of the teeth, and basically shifting the visible middle of the tooth toward the gap. This is done on the front 4 teeth and then they are covered with porcelain veneers. Around $3000 and you end up (supposedly) with a superstar smile.

I'm still thinking about it. I'll see what I dream tonight. Either way, I can't really afford to do anything now... :)

chico2
May 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Don't get me wrong,I think clean white teeth are very important,a little gap is in my view not,on the contrary...
I am just a little complexed by the idea of beauty today,collagen lips,blown-up boobs,perfect little noses,perfectly straight blindingly white teeth...no individuality :confused: It's kind of sad..

heidiho
May 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I have to say teeth are very very important to me,depending on the space i think it is fine,like Madonna,Lauren Hutton...But there is nothing worse to me then a mouth full of nasty teeth,and let me say Crest Whitestrips for all of us smokers are the best thing ever,they work soo soo good........................

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I have to say teeth are very very important to me,depending on the space i think it is fine,like Madonna,Lauren Hutton...But there is nothing worse to me then a mouth full of nasty teeth,and let me say Crest Whitestrips for all of us smokers are the best thing ever,they work soo soo good........................

I do not smoke but I agree Crest white stripes are wonderful! :D

badger
May 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM
In the not-too-distant past, it used to be said that people with a gap between their two front teeth were born travellers. So just think of all the trips you're going to take! The dentist wasn't wrong to ask - like doctors, dentists are constantly having to adjust to 'consumer culture' - but you shouldn't feel pressured as a result.

heidiho
May 12th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I will get compliments after the first day of using them,i really cant believe how good they work,and i do smoke,and i must say my teeth are pretty white..

Beaglemom
May 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I also have a small gap between my front teeth. I say if it really bothers you and you will feel better fixing it, then do it for you and you only. I also think that it adds character and is not necessary to have fixed. I have considered getting mine fixed many times since my braces didn't help much, although I do have very straight teeth. My smile has cost me quite a bit, braces, whitening, etc. I would love to get my gap fixed but right now the money issue is what's holding me back. I considered getting porcelain veneers. My dentist told me that with veneers you run the risk of cracking them if you bite into something hard.

Your gap is not so big that it would be the first thing someone would notice and say "OMG look at that!" I think it is fine just the way it is and you have nothing to worry about.

heidiho
May 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah i sucked my thumb til i was 9,i had braces for 4 years,had to wear the head gear top and bottom.......Well worth it..................

Eleni
May 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
its true on the porcelain veneer, I have one and I chipped it quite badly

Eleni

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
James' teeth are REALLY bad. When he was getting his adult teeth, the baby teeth wouldn't fall out. And he had to have them removed, I guess, so not only are they crooked, and have gaps, the are also behind each other and facing sideways. And you know what, I doesn't bother me. And to tell you the truth, I never really noticed them, until he had mentioned it. bicuspids are the ones that are twisted and pushed back. Teeth are teeth......IMO

heidiho
May 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Why not get them fixed,my best friend had horrible teeth,and it is a horrible thing for your self esteem i think,i could not have imagined going through my teenage years with the teeth i had,kids can be mean...........

Lizzie
May 12th, 2005, 12:44 PM
It would seem to me that since you came on here for advice, the idea of getting them fixed has been on your mind....perhaps on your mind enough to indicate that the space is bothering you...

Like I already mentioned, I am a teeth person---I am very picky about them and want mine to be perfect. I also believe that your teeth play an important role in first impressions...while I would never knock someone down for having poor teeth, I do take notice if they are superb.

If I was in your shoes, I would save the money and get them fixed.....that being said, I am not in your shoes and perhaps you'll miss the space...if you think it helps define who you are.

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Geez.. I certainly hope my space is not who I am... I hope I am other things... My dad said that too. "It's who you are". I'm not a gap. lol. Like when I got my glasses after my concussion, everybody was all, "Didn't you always have glasses?" I think I have enough personality that my physical features disappear... maybe... I hope...

But I realized that one problem I had with this was the idea of getting altered. Then I remembered I had my ears pinned when I was little. So I obviously don't mind being altered... I'd pin 'em again if I had to.

Like I said though, if you don't have a space, it never gets mentioned. And the fact that it does means that it does draw attention. Even if it was positive attention, to me teeth should not be the first thing you notice on a person.

This all is only on my mind because my dentist showed me the new options. That's why I'm trying to figure out if I like my space or if I just learned to like it because I didn't want the surgery.

kandy
May 12th, 2005, 04:45 PM
You said that the dentist told you about the new options for fixing it, but you imply that you have had others mention it. If you hadn't pointed it out, I don't think I would've noticed it in your photo. I think it adds character and as long as it isn't interfering with eating, then why go through the pain of fixing it?? Of course, since I don't have any spaces, and I was granted nice straight teeth I don't have anything to base my opinion on. It might be different if I had spaces. Look on the bright side - you could spit water at people through the space (I know cuz my son used to do it) if they make any comments about it! :evil:

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
The procedures he was talking about are pain-free. I don't get harsh comments about my space, but it does get noticed. I realized at my dentist that I really don't use my front teeth as much as normal people do. When he was talking about the porcelain, he said "You can't bite tags off your clothes, you can't bite your nails, etc" and I noticed that I have never do any biting with my front teeth. I just don't get a good enough grip because stuff just falls into the gap...lol Probably good for me though. :)

lilith_rizel
May 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
James has talked about braces, and boy if he gets them, he will have them for a LONG time. I had braces in 6th grade, and all it was for is to fix a gap, and a small overbite, and I had to wear them for 2 1/2 years, and a retainer for 5 years (that didn't make it past 6 months, little sister shoved them in her mouth when I had them soaking, and they broke, LOL). I figure he will have them for 4-5 years probably...... Ouch, just the thought of it hurts my gums.....

melanie
May 14th, 2005, 07:33 PM
have you not seen kylie minogues teeth? she has the most famous and expensive gap in the world, honey your georgous and i would think it a complete waste of money and time.

if ppl are obsessed with your gap and comment, well stuff them ,who can bother with ppl who obviously think their perfect, jsut ignore them. and hey i bet you can do that special little whistle through your gap, oh and spit water very far, now i would not give that up for quids (my brother could always do those as kids, i was very very jealous).

i really think life is to short to care, really when your on your death bed i dont think the gap in your teeht is going to be an issue. it make you you, if we all looked the same the world would be very boring.

a few yrs ago now, i had my face burnt off in a accident. i thought i would be scared forever, it really made me realise what life is really all about and how much looks count life is NOT a dress rehersal.

one day we will all look hagard and old, gaps in teeth will be the least of our concerns and i personally think having a lovely personality and being a great person is far more important than lookinghow society depicts we should (and often in trends).

instead of spending all that money on teeth, why not spend it on a cooking course, or a educational course or simialr. something non materialistic that will feel like an improvement or growth in life and a great experience. or jsut down it all at the pub having a wild unforgetable time??

im sure that would be better value for money and certainly more benifical in the long run.

in my family we have a genetic tooth gap, it runs in the males. every single man ever born into my family has a gap in their teeth, its part of their identity, and something we are quite proud of as a family as it is like wearing a badge of your clan to us. and it certianly adds a very handsome aspect to our boys and men (no im not biased :D ).

be proud of the way you look, your an individual and your beautiful......

Cactus Flower
May 14th, 2005, 07:46 PM
You've just gotta love Melanie.

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Yes ya do. :)
instead of spending all that money on teeth, why not spend it on a cooking course, or a educational course or simialr. something non materialistic that will feel like an improvement or growth in life and a great experience. or jsut down it all at the pub having a wild unforgetable time??

After I graduate, I'm not spending another penny on education for a long long long time (unless it's for my man...). My teeth won't be a priority for a while.. First student loans, then a new car, then a foundation on the house, then a kitchen, then a new car, then maybe a wedding, and another car, and of course a whole bunch of doggies in there and then maybe teeth. :) I'm so broke right now, I have to not think about where money should or should not be spent. It just can't be spent at all... Yey, being a student... (sigh) I'm gonna have another piece of chocolate...