Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mothers, sigh!

CyberKitten
May 11th, 2005, 03:04 PM
This is hardly a major issue - given that I feel like I am on a death watch for one of my best friends - sorry to say her condition is worse - BUT I am frustrated with my mother and the fact she dislikes YY's name. Her attitude is "what kind of name is that for a cat?". She thinks I should have given her an Irish name - and I just know she would have done the same thing if YY was a human baby, lol So she calls YY "Katie", sighhhhhhhh!

Now, my mom is usually very level headed and rational and an extremely intelligent, well educated and sensible person. But it irriates me and I have told her so. Fortunately I suppose, YY is an intelligent enough cat to understand this is what grandma calls her - she understands French and English commands so this is just something else.

It is just, pun intended, a pet peave. (As an aside, Pet Peave would not be a bad name for a forum, lol)

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM
my mother in law is similar.

when I first married my husband we lived with his mom, and Sugar my oldest cat was 4 years old, and she all but changed the cats name. she hated that i named my white cat sugar.

she protested jsut as equally when i named our rescued kitten angel.[shes and angel because othewise surely shed have died]

i just ignore it, its one of the mre minor of all the thigns that annoy me about her heh

Eleni

BEAR_NZ
May 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
CK, so sad that your friend is not doing so well. thinking of you, and sending a big hug. I had wondered how she was doing.

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM
She thinks I should have given her an Irish name

I really think it's an "Irish thing" to change pets' names. I know I've changed my own pets' names over the years. One of them morphed from "Melissa" to "Sweetpea".

If you mom wants to call your cat Katie, so what? "A rose by any other name....";)

Sorry to hear about your friend.:(

melanie
May 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM
one of my ex brother in laws was a pig hunter. he used to dress charlie up in chest plates and neck things and call her LUCY :confused: (shwe did not like him much, neither did i) :evil:

he said you could not call a dog charlie and girls need girly names, needles to say she never ever responded to him, bloody idiot. (and lucy of all names, boy charlie was not impressed with that, the chics tough and needs to look after the rep- lucy ha).

(no offence to anyone with a dog called lucy, but it is jsut not a name for such a big rough dog, more for little delicate things :p ).

my bloody mother has a dog called max, lately she has been calling him schmooey- the poor dog has absolutly no idea who she is talking to lol, he looks at me strangely as if to say 'what is she on'? i pointed this out to her but she thinks its too cute and continues, poor dog is jsut so darn confused :rolleyes:

hay CK, call your mother judith or somethgn similar, tell her she does not look like a 'insert name here' so youve changed her name,. that should be fun for a tease. :D

oh ppl are tooo strange

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Ah the Irish. My grandfather was of Irish descent and he refused to call me Princess. He used to call me Erika. :rolleyes:

Karin
May 11th, 2005, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]I really think it's an "Irish thing" to change pets' names. I know I've changed my own pets' names over the years. One of them morphed from "Melissa" to "Sweetpea".

If you mom wants to call your cat Katie, so what? "A rose by any other name....";)

Exactly! Ciara has so many endearing names others have titled her with I cannot keep track of them all, except the cute ones. She answers to them all..my favorite is the super uber goober of course. (That is compiled by 3 different people over time) Then there is McGoofus, goobs, stinkypoopoobutt,(bath time) and the list goes on.
My mother simply refers to her as "that big dog". If my mother comes into my house...been 3 years..the next line is "it won't hurt me will it?"

Well, my mother sent Ciara money for Christmas too. She is either very confused on the grandkids or finally accepting her. I think it's the latter. Or at least I hope so....

chico2
May 12th, 2005, 09:42 AM
CK,sorry to hear about your friend :sad:
Karin and Mel,thank's,you just crack me up :D
CK,I would call your mom Agatha..see how she likes it,except I guess Mom has no other name than Mom.

SarahLynn123
May 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM
My father calls Belle 'ding dong'. He says it enough that she comes to him when he calls her that! He is the type of person that says it just to see if it will bug me, so I wont let it, I smile and know that my next dog that needs a name will be named Tim. (The same name as him) When I call the dog my Dad will come running to! It will be a life time of fun for me and pay back a the same time!!!!

Dont get mad get even!!!

kandy
May 12th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Even though our dogs have all had 'real' names - we also called them by nicknames. Hazel is also called Pudget and Lil Bear. My mom's Rotti was actually named Koda (short for Dakota - which was part of her AKC name) but she was called KodaBearz, Duh-koda (my husband thought that one was funny) and Bud. Boon's nickname was Destrutomutt and my mom's papillion was nicknamed pissant and the antichrist.

BEAR_NZ
May 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM
hahaha Melanie and chico, i love your ideas! call Mom Agatha!!! Brilliant! :thumbs up

CyberKitten
May 12th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I have not tried the Agatha idea yet but am pondering it, lol My mom actually had her first name changed officially b/c the govt had screwed it up on her birth certificate (They added so she would HATE Agatha, lol)

And yeah. there just might be something to the Irish and names, lol

Safyre
May 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
My grandmother HATED Justice's name, and wouldn't tell me, jsut everyone else int he family "what kind of name is Justice'
So i asked her what kind of name is Cherokke fo her cat. she sut up :)
No harsh words on Dallas yet .... or maybe it's Atticus ... i need to meet him... sunday!!!

Cactus Flower
May 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Mothers.

Hug them while you've got them.

Princesss04
May 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Mothers.

Hug them while you've got them.

That is very true CF one day we will be sitting around missing all the things they did to annoy us. :D

chico2
May 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Cactusflower,that is soo true,although my mom was not what you would say a"good"mother,when she died suddenly at 53yrs,she left a big empty space in my heart :sad:

Lise
May 13th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Cactus flower is right . It took me years to appreciate my mother and now I wish I had the time back.Life is too precious and short to waste on little annoying things.Smile and don't sweat the small stuff,just my opinion.

lilith_rizel
May 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I am just waitng to hear what my mom is going to say if we end up having a boy, and naming him Leif ( a Viking that made it to America long before Columbus made it to the Carribean.....)

lilith_rizel
May 13th, 2005, 12:22 PM
oh, the ei, makes an A sound...