Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grey Hound Bus!

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Has anyone here every rode a Grey Hound bus and had to travel somewhere in it? My sister is going to college in FL and she is coming home the 27 we are thinking about putting her on a Grey Hound Bus and picking here up here in IN. It would be a 24 hour drive on the bus. They are nices buses, I know but do you think it is safe? It cost $69 to bring her up which is so much cheaper than me going to get her because it is a 13 hour drive one way and gas it so high here. What do you all think. She is 20 years old. Thanks again for all your help. :D

SnowDancer
May 11th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Personally, I would prefer the train.

Lizzie
May 11th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I've taken the Greyhound bus here in Canada many many times--as well as the train.

The train is much nicer, roomier and tends to draw a different crowd of travellers. The bus is economical and good for night travel as many of the destinations I've travelled to don't have night trains.

For the length of time she is travelling I would suggest the bus simply because they make stops for food and stretching your legs. Unless the train she takes requires connections she may not be able to get off for fresh air at all during the trip--and will have to eat whatever they are selling on the train.

As far as safety, I would assume based on statistics that it is as safe as any other mass form of travel.

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Do they have bathrooms and tvs and stuff like that on the bus? :D

Lizzie
May 11th, 2005, 03:39 PM
They usually have a little "outhouse" at the back of the bus--but like I said, they stop about every 6 hours for the bus driver to get food, use the washroom and stretch his/her legs. Passengers can also get off for the 15-45 minute break.

There are some tv's but they usually don't play movies on them here as no one can agree on a movie. I've only had one bus driver ever even suggest a movie--although he quickly retracted when he recalled the horror of accomodating everyone's flick preferences.

They do have little reading lights overhead for people who bring magazines or books. You are permitted to chat on the cell phone, use your laptop or listen to music through headphones...or play handheld games..etc...they do not however provide plugs so be sure to pack batteries!

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Okay thanks I will let her know. She sounds exicited about it. She likes doing new things. Do you think it will be safe for her?

melanie
May 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
as long as she is a smart girl who would not do anything silly or risky, she will be just fine and dandy. basically when you catch greyhound, the passangers generally go to the same places, the driver is usually having a break and meal too, so if she does not go wanderign off into the dark alone, i think she will be perfectly safe.

it will be a good experience and adventure for her.

and trains and busses sure beat the hell out of standing on the highway with your thumb out for god knows how long in god knows what weather, and if it gets dark on the road your stuffed (unless your hitching with my charlie we just go and camp in the dark).

although not allowed to hitch anymore due to boring safety concerned husband, but i supose thats his job isnt it, bugger. no hitching, if im stuck i have to wait for a designated lift, oh gosh i feel like a school girl when he does that stuff. (hitching no longer popular here due to a serial killer of hitchhiking backpackers a few years ago, hey he only ever killed international types, not us boring aussies, well i was never scared of him anyways :D serial killerturned out to be farmer 10km form my parents house :rolleyes: ).

oh those were the days of my youth, do what i liked when i liked, boy growing up sucks sometimes..

have a great holdiay with your sister, there is nothign better than having a sister to play with. have fun and dotn worry she will be safe. if you are worried ask her to call you from one of the stopping points jsut to let you know she is ok, i find that is always useful and relieving. :D

CyberKitten
May 11th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I think 24 hours on the bus would be horrible for anyone! Tell her to take the train! I'd even check into low airline rates. Often you can get good fares. The train tho (at keast in Canada - never taken it in the US) is comfortable, one can get up and walk around and it is so much safer!

Karin
May 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I have taken a bus cross country before and never again! Takes too long. Every bus depot is a drug selling sight. Plumbing is always broke. Crying baby or a snorer always sit's next to you. The seats suck for comfort.

And airfares are cheaper. Point A to point B is quicker, more comfortable.

Plus a "fare war" is going on..or just now beginning. With the rising cost of fuel, airlines are hurting to fill a seat.
My opinion.