Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do I need to leave the AC on for Blaze?

Blaze01
May 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I am gone everyday from 8 30-4 30 and Blaze is left home all day by himself...i know he is usually asleep when nobody is home. The days are getting hotter and summer is coming and the temp in our apartment is anywhere from 70-80 degrees during the day...this is with all the windows open...when i get home its warm but not really hot. Should i leave the AC on all day for him or will he be ok? I go home on my lunch to give him cold water in his bowl but i am only there for like 10-15 mins. Do you think he will be ok?

heidiho
May 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I say 70 is ok,unless it is humid,if it is humid also i would do ac................

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I would say around 26 is the maximum... That's what? 79? After that, it's just too hot. If you have sun in your home, you would need ac too. I keep the curtains closed when I leave... Keep in mind (even though this is a cat, right?) that animals heat up. Our apartment is 2 degrees warmer when the dogs are in it. (We save about $50 every 2 months in the winter on the hydro bill because of these heaters....).

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I leave the A/C on low for the pets

the cats hang out in the bathtub when they get warm, sam is my biggest worry for overheating

so i leave a fan on and teh a/c on low.

But i rarely leave the house without him, lucky pup!

Eleni

Luvmypit
May 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
My father got air conditioning and made sure we all knew it wasn't for us but for the dogs....lol.

Now I bought a house and it has no AC and Im cool with that as we are 4 streets down from Lake Ontario and its cooler down there. But BF insists that capone needs it.

I usually go on whether my dog is panting alot.

Blaze01
May 11th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys...i wasnt so sure...

Blaze01
May 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
another question....after alot of play Blaze will pant...do cats pant if it is hot?

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I leave the air on for my pets. Just think that if I am warm or hot I am sure they are as well so I just leave it on. :D

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
and yes cats will pant if they are hot, but from my experience its only when they are very hot.

remenber the big blackout in the summer a few years back. My Old cat sugar was used to air conditioning and when we had none for that week she panted all week and was very warm and miserable. i ended up putting her in the coolest room of the hosue with ice water to drink and a couple of fans, and she camped out there for the week.

we were all appreciative when the power was back, she ever sat on top of the air conditioner hogging all the cool air hehe

Eleni

raingirl
May 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Now...I was debating whether to put this in a new post or not.

My apartment gets about 75-85 daily right now...and it's only May. We are new to this apartment, and not sure how hot it gets in the summer. We do have AC, but even with it on...it doesn't do anything (super fixed it and said that's the best it will be)...so in May, even with it on, and the blinds shut, and full sun blaring in the windows, it gets to 85... I'm worried.

We only have light thin curtains now. I was wondering whether those "black out curtains" will do anything for keeping it cool?

Any other ideas for keeping an apartment cool in the summer?

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
black out curtains would make a huge difference especially at the sunny'est parts of the day.

my apartment can get quite warm with the sun blaring in despite the air conditioner, and black out curtains make a huge difference

now it stays nice and cool even on those days we had 40c weather

Eleni

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
oh and aluminum foil on the windows makes a difference too, only thing is it prevents you from looking out the window since you cant see thru the foil, but if your worried about the dog perhaps you could foil the windows of 1 room where he will hang out in the day

Eleni

Blaze01
May 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM
thanks a bunch guys...our ac doesnt really put anything out later but i always have ten million fans going at once...

JDG
May 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM
*another question about animals in the heat of summer*

Minou has medium length fur, but its really really really thick.

(We thought she was going to be a long hair cat - but she seems to be fluffing out thick rather than long. She looks like a little bear cub!)

She appears to be uncomfortable in the heat, and its only May! She also looks restless when she sleeps. She isn't panting. She is drinking water and eating food. No health issues. . . (she was at the vet on Saturday for a check up)

- We have hard wood.
- The AC going
- A fan in the bedroom
- Dark curtains throughout our appartment

I'm at a lose! Does anyone have any 'more' suggestions on how to kool off the kitty, and make the summer more 'bearable' for her??

Thanks!

Joey

Eleni
May 17th, 2005, 09:56 AM
ice cubes in the water dish help the water stay nice and cold for warm pets

my cats actually take the cubes out of their bowl and chase em around the house

Eleni

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I just ordered a couple of cooling pads for Hazel (newf pup) that I am hoping will work. I have cellular window blinds that are insulated (actually called double cell, but they do make triple cell) and they keep out quite a bit of the heat, but still let in the light. They also keep out the cold in the winter. My parents always left the A/C on for the dogs if they had to leave them at home. Their rotti would always be laying on the couch right where the cooler blew down! :D I also give Hazel ice cubes, or doggy popsicles. When she gets an ice cube (which she thinks is a really neat treat!) she spends half the time chasing it around or barking at it! :p