Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pet euthanasia

Crazy Hippie
May 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM
When it comes that terrible time to have a faithful friend put to sleep, please be sure to ask about the method used by your vet prior to the procedure. My grandmother had her dog put to sleep and the vet used an injection in the neck which paralyzed the dog, and from what my grandma described, it was very unpleasant. I've been told that this is also the procedure used by animal control centres because it it cheap. I recently had to have my own dog put to sleep :( and I discussed the procedure with my vet, who used an injection in the vein that he ASSURED me was painless - the same thing they give to animals to put them to sleep for surgery. It was very quick, only took 2-3 seconds. He also explained the other procedure (that my grandma's dog received) and it is not very humane and takes much longer to work. Please ask your vet about this beforehand for the sake of your pet!

eprocan
May 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM
WOW, THANKS FOR SHARING THIS.... I did not know about this and being the owner of a senior dog I know my day is only a short time away :sad:
Thanks again for sharing.

Maureen :ca:

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Usually, it's one shot anywhere to put the dog to sleep and another in the heart to stop its beating.

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Every animal I"ve had euthanized was first given an injection of a sedative, and then the lethal injection in the front leg. It's very peaceful and painless.

The only time a heart injection is given, to my knowledge, is with tiny animals like rats who cannot be injected in a vein.

Beaglemom
May 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM
When I worked at a vet clinic, euthanasia was performed just as LuckyRescue said. The only time an injection was given directly into the heart was when a dog or cat had very swollen limbs and a vein could not be found easily.

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Really? I was told it was done in the heart because it's faster...

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Usually, it's one shot anywhere to put the dog to sleep and another in the heart to stop its beating.

When I had my cat put down, that's what they did. (in the front leg).

Maybe that's why when I called another vet, she asked if I would be staying with my cat , and when I said yes, she told me the euthanasia would cost an extra $50.00 if I stayed!! :eek:

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
It's very fast the way I described. The injection is just a massive overdose of anesthetic (right, Beaglemom?) and works very quickly.

Using the heartstick would be a last resort.

she told me the euthanasia would cost an extra $50.00 if I stayed!!

Something VERY VERY wrong there. I hope you stayed.:(

LL1
May 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
It depends on where it is done.In Ontario in pounds they do various methods,gassing,electrocuting and shooting are legal. I don't think it is legal to stick it in the heart,(it's legal in the abdomen) but I imagine they do it.

goldenblaze
May 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I stayed with Kaiger while he was euthanized, it did not cost me any more money but my bill was over 600.00 at that time not including his cremation. My Vet used an injection in the front leg it was fast and pain free for him. I did ask to make sure, it was very painful on me but I would never leave him alone. I have never heard until reading this thread about any other way to euthanize then in the leg.

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
It's very fast the way I described. The injection is just a massive overdose of anesthetic (right, Beaglemom?) and works very quickly.

Using the heartstick would be a last resort.

Something VERY VERY wrong there. I hope you stayed.:(

No I didn't (I actually shouted that why the extra cost?? what do you do If I'm not there, hit her over the head with a hammer, so it doesn't cost anything!!) and waited for my regular to open!! I took her there and yes I stayed with her (I would never let any of my pets die alone).

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
No I didn't (I actually shouted that why the extra cost?? what do you do If I'm not there, hit her over the head with a hammer, so it doesn't cost anything!!) and waited for my regular to open!! I took her there and yes I stayed with her (I would never let any of my pets die alone).

Happycats that is awful! Something very weird that they would charge more if you stayed in there. Makes me wonder what would have happened. You are a great person for staying with your baby!

Beaglemom
May 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
From what I understand it is like an overdose of anesthetic. I have also been told that there is a different cost for staying with your pet. I think that is because of the two injections. If you are not there with the pet, it is only one injection in the vein of the front leg, I believe. Either way is still a quick and painless death.

The injection into the heart is not often done in front of the owner. For obvious reasons, it is too hard to witness. Although you can stay if you want to, the vets do not kick you out, owners usually opt out. I know of a dog that had to be put done this way because her little legs had swelled up and her veins couldn't be found easily. The vet thought it would be better giving her the injection directly into the heart than have her go through the trauma of them trying to find a good vein. She did die peacefully and painlessly.

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 01:53 PM
The injection into the heart is not often done in front of the owner. For obvious reasons, it is too hard to witness. Although you can stay if you want to, the vets do not kick you out, owners usually opt out. I know of a dog that had to be put done this way because her little legs had swelled up and her veins couldn't be found easily. The vet thought it would be better giving her the injection directly into the heart than have her go through the trauma of them trying to find a good vein. She did die peacefully and painlessly.
Couldn't they use eather (sp) that does not require and injection (they breathe it in) to knock them out first !!

Beaglemom
May 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Couldn't they use eather (sp) that does not require and injection (they breathe it in) to knock them out first !!

I haven't worked in a vet clinic in a while so I'm not sure why they don't do that. I would think that knocking them out first and then giving the lethal infection into the heart, if that is what is required, would be more humane. Normally though the injection is given into the vein of the front leg. Much more humane that way and painless to the animal.

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM

No, that is rather stressful on the animal and it must be restrained, much worse than a little needle in the leg while the owner holds it.

It depends on where it is done.In Ontario in pounds they do various methods,gassing,electrocuting and shooting are legal. I don't think it is legal to stick it in the heart,(it's legal in the abdomen) but I imagine they do it.

Of course, we are talking about mercy killing (euthanasia) to end suffering and all the pets I've had euthanized were either so old or so ill they were very weak and went very rapidly.

What the pounds and shelters do (and owners who want pets gone for various stupid reasons) is killing, and not euthanization.

Killing a healthy young animal is a whole different story.

Rita
May 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM
When we had to have our 20yo cat pts last year, we called our vet first thing in the morning and made an appointment. We were asked if we were going to stay with her or not and of course we did stay with her ... never any mention of cost difference. We have been dealing with the same vet for many years and new that Alex would be well treated in the end. They brought us into one of the regular exam rooms, took Alex to the back to give her a sedative and insert an IV into a vein in her front leg. She was returned to us so that we could hold her while the sedative took effect. The vet then returned and asked if we were ready to let her go ... she then inserted a needle into the IV in the front leg. As soon as the injection was done the vet listened for a heartbeat and told us that Alex was gone :angel: . We were told we could stay in the room with her for as long as we needed and not to rush our final goodbye. The next week we received what we thought was the bill from the vet .... it was actually a condolence card :love: We didn't actually receive the bill until a few weeks after that.

BEAR_NZ
May 11th, 2005, 03:29 PM
This thread really struck a chord...have tears in my eyes just writing! you poor things that have experienced controversy in this subject, when also at the time it is devastating, heartbreaking and you cannot even drive home afterward without breaking down in tears. I am mortified to think that you have been told an extra charge applies if you stay with your pet as they drift away... immediately i am thinking this is very dodgy practice.
In January I had to have my 15 year old beloved cat cassie put to sleep, and the vets were amazing. First of all, they put her into a special anaethetising box, which is filled with ether, an anaesthetic, just to make the pet relax and sleep, and not put up a struggle, then they gently lifted her out, and put the euthanasia injection into her front leg. It was a very gentle way, of having to fulfil this dreaded task... it was a peaceful way.
Whilst i can see how the injection into the heart would quickly work, it would not be pleasant for a loved one to watch...rather unpleasant and traumatic...and whats the hurry!!!(when the stuff is working quickly anyway through the front leg)! I tend to think that this very sensitive time requires a vet with the uptmost compassion, gentleness, and patience, someone who realises the enormity of what they are about to do, when the pet you are holding in your arms is like a child that you have loved since you first were blessed with them, and having to decide to put them to sleep is one of the biggest and most painful decisions of your life.

AliSam
May 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
...... We were asked if we were going to stay with her or not and of course we did stay with her ... never any mention of cost difference. We have been dealing with the same vet for many years and new that Alex would be well treated in the end. They brought us into one of the regular exam rooms, took Alex to the back to give her a sedative and insert an IV into a vein in her front leg. She was returned to us so that we could hold her while the sedative took effect. The vet then returned and asked if we were ready to let her go ... she then inserted a needle into the IV in the front leg. As soon as the injection was done the vet listened for a heartbeat and told us that Alex was gone :angel: . We were told we could stay in the room with her for as long as we needed and not to rush our final goodbye. The next week we received what we thought was the bill from the vet .... it was actually a condolence card :love: We didn't actually receive the bill until a few weeks after that.

That is exactly how our experience was when we had to put our poor 14 year old Sibe to sleep. The only difference was, we paid the bill at the time. The vet and the staff were absolutely wonderful to us.

poodletalk
May 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
When my dog died, my vet sent be a bouquet of flowers and a condolence card. (Even the place where I got Chaos cremated, sent me a condolence card) Chaos went very quickly, she got a needle in her front leg. I think my vet cried as much as we did.

chico2
May 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
With all my cats,there was never a question whether I would stay or not,I held my cats and had their little heads in my hands until they took their last breath and brought their little bodies home,to be buried in the backyard they loved to be in.
After the needle in their leg,it was only a question of seconds before their heart stopped,quick and painless,at least to my sweet cats,less so for me :sad:

MishaBoo
January 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM
:sorry: First of all, I'm so sorry for each and every loss. I can feel and understand your pain at losing your babies.

My little Misha spent the first 6+ years of her life in a horrible puppy mill. When she got too sick to breed, they literally kicked her to the curb where she was found. She was such a horrible mess when we first saw her on the Toronto Humane Society website and she looked terrified. My son and I took one look at her and my son said, "We have to go and get her, Mom." I was determined to fill her life up with as much love as she could soak in, coupled with great nutrition which had been so lacking all of her sad life.

Misha will turn 12 in March (a date we picked out because my son and I, plus our dog, Pooki, are all born in the first week of March) and she has thrived, despite a chronic chest and sinus infection (I treat it with Children's decongestant). She was partly blind when we got her but now she is completely blind but she gets around just fine, even when we move the furniture!

I am at a crossroads at the moment because she either needs to have the remainder of her teeth removed, which will probably help her sinuses and chest, or have her euthanized. This little girl is my ultimate baby and has crawled so deep in my heart that I can't imagine life without her. I realize I am being selfish but it would just kill me to do the same thing to her. I need some advice from people who maybe have been in my place.

By the way, I have become disabled since I got Misha and the cost of any procedure is very difficult for me. In a way, I want her to just live out her life after having her teeth removed. I just hope and pray she lives through the dental surgery. Of course, asking a vet about dental surgery is useless because they leave the decision up to me. They can't tell me if she will survive the dental surgery.

I realize this is a long message but if you can help me, I will be forever grateful.

Misha's Mom
Sandi

East York, Toronto
:ca:

sugarcatmom
January 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
By the way, I have become disabled since I got Misha and the cost of any procedure is very difficult for me. In a way, I want her to just live out her life after having her teeth removed.

Hi MishaBoo, and welcome to pets.ca! Bless you for taking in Misha and giving her such a loving home. As far as affording the dental surgery, perhaps this link will help: http://www.farleyfoundation.org/pet_owners/eligibility_criteria.html

I just hope and pray she lives through the dental surgery. Of course, asking a vet about dental surgery is useless because they leave the decision up to me. They can't tell me if she will survive the dental surgery.

How is her health otherwise? Any recent blood work and urinalysis? Maybe even an ECG and x-ray of her heart to make sure there aren't any issues there. With proper monitoring while under anesthesia, the risk isn't necessarily any greater for an older animal, provided there aren't any complicating medical conditions.

What do the vets say is the relationship between her teeth and the chronic sinus infection?

Tundra_Queen
January 1st, 2009, 09:15 PM
Every animal I"ve had euthanized was first given an injection of a sedative, and then the lethal injection in the front leg. It's very peaceful and painless.

That is the way they put our dogs to sleep too. A sedative first.

Debbie

Catmama
March 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM
My Little Toot is an 8 year old long silky hair cat. I found her and her brother Elvis in my back yard 8 years ago. Elvis was and still is 4 times Toot size. They say a cat has 9 lives; Toot had already gone through 7 of them when we found her. She was so small she fit in the palm of my hand, very week and cold, could not hold her head up. Elvis was a very healthy big kitten about 6 weeks old. I put Toot in a cat carrier with a heating pad on low and blankets, gave her eye droppers of water and kitten formula, in 2 days she had 100% turn around. She went to work with me every day for months, so I could make sure she ate and drank her kitten formula. She stayed in my work area in a chair on my sweater. She survived, she was fighter until now

I found this site in search of a way to put her to sleep. She is dying and I cannot save her and I cannot afford the vet charge of $85.00. I took her to the vet 3 weeks ago. I had an emergency fund for my cat care emergencies of $350. This vet, instead of giving me "what he would do if it were his loving cat" told me what he thought it could be and what tests needed to be done to find out what was wrong. As Toot is not my only cat and not knowing what is wrong, I was told it could be cat aids or cat whatever that "could" be contagious. He did a radiograph thorax, cat scan and blood test. The cat scan showed a lot of fluid in her chest and after the blood work came back the next day, he would be able to diagnose her problem. The vet collected $425.00, sent me home with Toot. The next day her lab work showed everything normal, she was a little anemic but that could be from her being so sick. He wanted her back to remove the fluid from her chest. I asked if the fluid build up could be from a bad heart and of course that was a good possibility. The est. cost to draw the excess fluid was $160.00. I took her back the next day for this procedure. They call later that she was ready of be picked up. The $160.00 turned out to be $342.00 which included lassie and another medicine.

She has been in a slow downward spiral ever since. She has been going to work with me everyday, I have been hand feeding her chicken for 2 weeks 4 to 5 times a day but 2 days ago she would not take a bite. She only drank water. I call the vet for help, I am out of money, my next payday is 5 days off - $85.00 is a good part of my cat food budget for a month - all I want for my baby Toot is for her to go to her final sleep, but she is still fighting. There has to be something out there to help me put her into a deep final sleep - stop her slow death. She is so weak, each breath is laboured. The last 14 hours I thought each one was her last - my poor baby Toot, you do not deserve this pain, you only gave me your love, your kneading continuous purrs and affection - I love you - Elvis will miss you _ I'm sorry there is no help without money - oh please Little Toot stop fighting to live

Winston
March 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Im so sorry your going through this! its certainly tough! Could anyone lend you hand temprarily so that she does not need to suffer? just a thought.

I looked online and this came up...maybe you could check it out?

http://www.carecredit.com/

We are here for you during this difficult time.

sugarcatmom
March 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Catmama, you have my sympathy. There's nothing worse than feeling helpless in the face of a serious medical condition in our furry family members. Adding to Winston's suggestion, there are quite a few organizations in the States that provide veterinary financial aid to those in need. Here are some links that might help:
http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/resources/financial-support/
http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links.html#finance
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=163

All the best to you and Little Toot. :grouphug:

chico2
March 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM
OMG,poor Catmama and little Toot,I hope she found the help she needs,she obviously loves her little Toot very much..
I cannot see any vet denying a cat a peaceful passing because of $85:evil:that is just pure animal-cruelty IMO.

Tundra_Queen
March 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
We were charged extra to stay with our pet when it was put to sleep. I asked our vet why and he said because a lot of clietns get so upset afterwards that they spend too much time in the operating room afterwards, so the room cannot be used. Something like that, I can't remember exactly. But because they only have one OR it stops that room from being used for a while. We just paid the extra. I think it was 50 or 60 dollars, I can't remember now. He just started doing that a few years ago. We also had him come out to the house to put one of our dogs down that didn't like going to the vets.

Debbie

BenMax
March 25th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Tundra Queen that is just robbery in my opinion. Some vets will use any excuse to make extra cash - they are like doctors running after an ambulance.

I have had the same vet for 25 years now. When I had made an appointment to have my rott PTS they actually asked for the money up front (before the procedure). These are the same vets that followed me and Ben through our journey with his cancer. They were always paid and I never had a running account with them....

I found it highly insensitive and since I have changed vets.

chico2
March 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM
TQ,That unethical vet certainly did not have his heart in the right place.
I have always insisted to hold my cats as they were sent to the Bridge and I always will,no ifs or buts about it.
My then vet(she is since back in Scotland:sad:)was the most wonderful vet,she was probably too kind,ended up losing her clinic..
We all know vets can be expensive and I don't mind paying,the vets have to make a living..but that $50-60 was robbery,like BenMax says:yell:

Shaykeija
March 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
When we had to put Sophie down, the vet cleared the clinic. There were no patients and no staff. Just my husband, me, Sophie and the vet. I held Sophie and he gave her a leg shot. She jerked once and then it was over. They let me hold her for a long time. They sent us a bill and a card of condolence. Later we received a thank you note from The Guelph Animal Hospital. Our vet donated everything we paid for Sophie to them in her memory.

BenMax
March 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
When we had to put Sophie down, the vet cleared the clinic. There were no patients and no staff. Just my husband, me, Sophie and the vet. I held Sophie and he gave her a leg shot. She jerked once and then it was over. They let me hold her for a long time. They sent us a bill and a card of condolence. Later we received a thank you note from The Guelph Animal Hospital. Our vet donated everything we paid for Sophie to them in her memory.

Wow!! Great vet with scruples. Nice.:thumbs up

petGuy
July 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately I had to put my 10 yr old jack russel down today..i did it at a shelter, the vet places wanted $400-$500. The shelter was $56.

A tech did it, not a vet. They do that all the time (what I was told). Because of that I couldn't be in the room when the euthanol was given, but had time before and after with him.

while i was with him after the euthanol, my finger was near his nose and it twitched a little, like he was smelling it. then i noticed that his body moved ever so slightly up and down, like a slow shallow breath. i called the tech in and showed her, she said it's normal for there to be movement for a bit, the brain still firing is what she said. she also said that the longer i stayed and watched the more i'd see, which i found very weird. they said i could have all the time i wanted, but that comment was still odd to me. shouldn't there be less movement as time goes on?

i did the nose thing again and this time no twitching. but i thought i saw his body move a few times in the time i was there. the tech assured me that she listened for a heart beat for a minute after it stopped.

i know there can be twitching, but what i saw more resembled breathing movement. the tech said she gave him 6 cc when only 2 cc would have done it (20-22lbs dog).

has anyone ever experienced or heard of this before? does anyone know if the dosage was correct? i probably shouldn't be, but i am a little worried that he may have been alive and suffered when they put him in the freezer..has anyone heard of horror stories similar to this where the dog suffered?

Thanks all!

I saw the red mark on his front leg where the needle went, so i doubt they did the 'through the heart' thing.

Claudia36oh
July 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM
My vet put down Spice, Peanut and Charlie and cried with me the hole time, it was very quick, they just feel asleep forever, no movement after the injection.:angel:

chico2
July 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I have had many loved pets put down by vets and stayed with them as they took their final breath,like Claudias experience it was always a quick peaceful event,heartbreaking but peaceful.
If what you are saying really happened,it sounds like something nightmares are made of:(

Melinda
July 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I hold mine on my lap...my vet will get down on the floor with me where the dog is comfortable......he strokes them and talks to them while he's doing it and yes...he cries with me also afterwards, then he leaves the room to give us time alone.........the lady that does the cremations has them picked up within 5 hours of them being sent to the bridge.

petGuy
July 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Now i am thinking i shoulda forked the cash over for a vet to do it...i can't shake this feeling that my poor dog suffered.

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM
petGuy, don't beat yourself up. We have had all of ours done by vets and I always see slight movement afterward, too. I don't think it's there--I think we know the way our little guy should move and exactly what that motion would be like and our brains do the rest. The movement was very slight, and oh-so-quick? Random firing of neurons, maybe. Maybe even wishful thinking, hoping there is more time? The vets knows me--they give the stethescope so I can hear (or not hear) for myself. :( They're always gone. :cry:

So put it out of your mind. :grouphug: Techs can be just as skillful as vets and there's no reason to think that your dog suffered.

petGuy
July 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words hazelrunpack....i had to be somewhere so i couldn't spend as much time as i probably should have with him after i became worried (spent about 10-15min)....the main things that make me worried about all this was the nose twitch when my finger was near it (tho it did stop a few minutes later, and it only twitched once) and the very slow body/chest rises that appeared to be breathing, they lasted longer and i should have stayed till i saw absolutely no movement.....

i've never had to put a relatively healthy dog down before (always was a case of health), i had to put mine down yesterday because he became very aggressive. it just plain sucks, and now my doubts are making me feel pretty guilty, like i should have looked out for him in his most vulnerable time....

is there a site that lists reviews/complaints for various shelters in Ontario, Canada? Any location?

oh, what movements did you notice in your pets? i understand twitching, but actual long, slow movements seem like they shouldn't occur.

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Paw twitching, breaths, tail twitches, all very, very slight and (significantly) no one else saw them. :o They never lasted more than 15 minutes, though--by then even I was convinced they were truly gone.

I know that complaints can be lodged, but I'm not sure how accessible those complaints/comments might be to the general public (I'm in the States so I don't know the Canadian system very well). With luck some of our Canadian members can give you the site address.

Melinda
July 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Petguy, (animal lovers and vegitarians please cover your eyes) I'm an old farm girl from way back, we butchered our own chickens....do you know how they are done??? and yes...even with missing that part of them, they still moved and twitched for awhile. Please be at peace knowing your beloved pets heart had definately stopped, I'm sorry if this has insulted anyone......I just wanted to reassure him.

petGuy
July 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
thanks again hazelrunpack...i think i should feel better as time goes on...

melinda, yes i know how chickens are killed, i've even beheaded a rooster before (just one time tho). i would think that overdosing on an anesthetic vs. beheading would create different outcomes, in terms of movement, but i understand that this may not be the case. thanks for the effort in reassuring me, i appreciate it.

jdiaz135
July 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
My 14 year old Chihuahua was diagnosed with CHF about 2 years ago. He also got glaucoma in his eye and is now blind in it. Anyways, he was prescribed 3 different medicines a year ago to stop his persistent cough. It worked and he was fine for about a year. About a month ago, he's gotten worse. Most of his days, he is coughing/throwing up water all the time. The vet increased his meds, but it hasn't done anything. I just want other people's advice about possibly putting my dog to sleep. I dont know if he is in pain, but I know that half of the time he isn't comfortable and I really don't want to wait till last minute when he can't even breath anymore.

hazelrunpack
July 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
So sorry to hear about your Chi, jdiaz135 :grouphug:

Have you discussed your dog's quality of life with your vet? In the past, our vets have given us a very objective evaluation of our ailing pet's condition. They can assess pain or discomfort, and give you signs to watch for. Their advice can be very helpful in making that final decision. But only you can make that decision when it's time.

Everyone tries to time euthanasia perfectly and they can be so very hard on themselves. You want to allow your boy as much life as possible, without prolonging suffering. But the truth is you never have enough information--you can never know that it's that perfect time. You can only make your best guess.

Just know that whatever you decide, if you make your decision with your Chi's best interests at heart, you can't go wrong. And if you make it with love in your heart, as well, it will be the best choice at the right time, absolutely and unequivocally, regardless of what and when you decide. :grouphug:

So my best advice is to have that talk with your boy's vet and go from there. I know how very difficult this time is for you and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. And if you need to talk or have some specific questions, we'll be here to listen and help when we can. :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
July 21st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Everyone tries to time euthanasia perfectly and they can be so very hard on themselves. You want to allow your boy as much life as possible, without prolonging suffering. But the truth is you never have enough information--you can never know that it's that perfect time. You can only make your best guess.

So well said, hazelrunpack. :thumbs up

flipgirl4
July 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM

No they do not hit your animal over the head with a hammer. The extra cost is to put a catheter in the animal's vein in orderbto transport whatever is used to sedate/euthanize the animal. If you were not present, a vet tech would safely & humanely restrain your animal and the vet would inject the sedative/euthansol into he vein. If your animal has low blood pressure, it may be difficult to find a vein. If a catheter is inserted, then it's much easier on the owner than to see the vet poke around and be restrained by the tech. Putting a catheter in allows the owner the freedom to hold his animal while he passes. Also, the.procedure takes longer than if he owner wasn't present so the cost is also for the vet's time. Sad to say, that us what the fee is for. Vets often use a catheter anyways to ensure they don't have to poke more than once but again, the vet tech is still there to restrain the animal. Where I work, the only time we do intracardiac euthanasias is for exotics like reptiles or rodents or if an animal's blood pressure is so low a vein is not available. In my two and a half year 'career' there, only one cat has been euthanized by intracardiac injection. This is just as quick and painless but I would guess that having a needle through your pet's heart may be traumatic for you. One person asked me if we broke the animal's neck. Ewww!

as for shooting the animal, maybe it happens in more rural areas but most likely not. Mwybe for livestock?

Tunde
October 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
...The extra cost is to put a catheter in the animal's vein in orderbto transport whatever is used to sedate/euthanize the animal. If you were not present, a vet tech would safely & humanely restrain your animal and the vet would inject the sedative/euthansol into he vein. (...) If a catheter is inserted, then it's much easier on the owner than to see the vet poke around and be restrained by the tech. (...) Also, the.procedure takes longer than if he owner wasn't present so the cost is also for the vet's time. Sad to say, that us what the fee is for.

I am sad to hear this.
I went to the Emergency Hospital in Brampton for humane euthanasia.
My cat had a heart failure and our regular vet suggested us to put him to sleep when he gets sick again. So when I saw him starting panting and that his hind legs started being paralyzed I took the cat to the emergency immediately and asked for humane euthanasia.

I asked them to make it quick and to choose the most comfortable way FOR THE CAT. They asked me if I want to be there with him and of course I said yes.

Obviously it just prolonged the suffering of the cat as I see now.
But how could I have known this?
When I had to put our previous cat down, in that time in London, ON at the Staples Vet Clinic, Dr. Staples offered me to stand at the head of the sick cat, pet her and look in her eyes. He gave ONLY ONE INJECTION in the hind leg and the cat was dead within a second. Just like you turn out the lights.
(he shaved the leg but not with a machine..... so the procedure was silent)

Now, in the Emergency Hospital, my poor sick cat was taken away from me and obviously his suffering was prolonged.

I told the people there that I want what is the way of the least suffering for HIM but well, they do it in another way than my previous vet in London and they define humane euthanasia obviously as no pain in the moment of death. But the problem is that my cat was terribly afraid and in pain and they needed extra time to put that catheter in and they also shaved the cat with a loud machine and later on, when I was in home with him, I noticed that he urinated under himself during this. NOT during or after the euthanasia, as they laid a new towel of theirs above my private towel that was in the cage already and their new towel was dry and stayed dry... The dying, half paralyzed cat put up his last fight again the loud shaving machine...

I am going to get a gun for the next time. I will never ever go to an unknown clinic for euthanasia.
I do not want a show for ME I want what I told the people: the most gentle way FOR THE ANIMAL.
Now I am afraid of further such misunderstandings and therefore I do not want to deal with unknown people when my next pet is dying.

To shoot an animal in the head is surely painful for the animal. BUT: the animal is quickly dead and there is no half an hour journey to the vet, putting in the catheter into the vein, there is no fear, no unknown place, unknown people and so on.

Once our dogs founda little bunny in the back yard and injured the animal. It was a gaping hole on the side of the bunny. But it was still alive. I could do only one thing, I took the axt and beheaded the bunny on the spot to end his suffering immediately.

I am sad to say but I am afraid the bunny had more luck than my poor, beloved, sick cat. The bunny was immediately dead, no fear, no journey, nothing... That was as humane as it can be.
Of course I was sick and devastated afterwards, I am not used to killing animals... I am not from a farm or anything.

Tunde

Tunde
October 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Here is very detailed information given on the euthanasia of pet animals:

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/pet-euthanasia.html

It helps to decide on how and when to proceed with euthanasia.