Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When we are not home

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
All the dogs are great when we are home with them, but when we leave for work all hell breaks loose.

First Shadow goes to the bathroom wherever she pleases. (Shes kept in the basement so its easy clean up) We come home every lunch to let them all out to pee and Shadow needs to eat. When we are home she is great, asks to go out and everything!

Second Wolf must bark constantly when we leave because he no longer has a voice. He doesn't bark when we are home unless the cat is in his way and he tries to scare him into moving! (Thats how we found out he has no voice)

How do we trian them or change this behavior when no one is there????

Thanks
Sarah

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
the first problem can be solved by crating the dog,

not sure on the barking however

Eleni

mesaana
May 11th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I don't consider myself an expert in behaviour but there's something I did that worked well, so I'll share that.

When I got my lab, Honey, she was about one year old. She got into the habit of doing her business in the basement when we were not there. I did 2 things: First, I cut her access to the basement when we weren't there. I believe it's a lot easier to be positive in training a dog when you don't come home to a mess. Second, and I think this is very important, I made a point of spending time in the basement with her (after cleaning the mistakes with a good odor neutralizer, of course). I believe she was actually doing something that made sense to her: she had to go and she went to the place farthest from her main living area. So every time I went to do the laundry, I brought her with me. I went to read there, I watched tv there, I went to the bathroom in the basement bathroom instead of the main floor one and of course, I played with her in the basement. And every time I went there, she came with me.

It worked. Took a few weeks and she could be left reliably alone in the house.

Hope this can help someone.

Lyne

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I don't consider myself an expert in behaviour but there's something I did that worked well, so I'll share that.

When I got my lab, Honey, she was about one year old. She got into the habit of doing her business in the basement when we were not there. I did 2 things: First, I cut her access to the basement when we weren't there. I believe it's a lot easier to be positive in training a dog when you don't come home to a mess. Second, and I think this is very important, I made a point of spending time in the basement with her (after cleaning the mistakes with a good odor neutralizer, of course). I believe she was actually doing something that made sense to her: she had to go and she went to the place farthest from her main living area. So every time I went to do the laundry, I brought her with me. I went to read there, I watched tv there, I went to the bathroom in the basement bathroom instead of the main floor one and of course, I played with her in the basement. And every time I went there, she came with me.

It worked. Took a few weeks and she could be left reliably alone in the house.

Hope this can help someone.

Lyne

I know crating will work but Ive never been keen on it so I will use it as a last resort. Thanks Eleni I never thought of crating!

Masaana You say you cut off access to he basement when you are not home, my situation is that Ive had Belle for 7 months now and she gets run of the house, Shadow has been with us for a month and has the basement, and Wolf we are fostering has the main floor hallway and bathroom. I cant think of anywhere else to put Shadow! I will make a point of hanging with her down there though, I never thought of that!
Thanks
Sarah

mesaana
May 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Hmmm That is indeed a problem. If you get more dogs, you'll need a castle!

Just out of curiosity, why can't Shadow and Belle be left together?

Lyne

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmm That is indeed a problem. If you get more dogs, you'll need a castle!

Just out of curiosity, why can't Shadow and Belle be left together?

Lyne

They have never been left together, but Im sure they would be fine as long as all the toys are taken away! My concern is that my carpets are a very light grey closer to white color and a German Shephard Poop could change that instantly!!!!

We have nothing but storage stuff, Shadows single bed and laundry in the basement so the only time we are down there is to do laundry. The tv and living area is on the main floor. Do you think if she was on the main floor with Belle she would hold it??

Thanks
Sarah

mesaana
May 11th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Do you think if she was on the main floor with Belle she would hold it?? I really don't know. As I said, I'm no expert...

The easiest would definitely be a crate. Or what about the kitchen, can you close that off, somehow? Or put her in an exercise pen? How big is she? What breed?

Lyne

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I really don't know. As I said, I'm no expert...

The easiest would definitely be a crate. Or what about the kitchen, can you close that off, somehow? Or put her in an exercise pen? How big is she? What breed?

Lyne

We initially tried the kitchen, she is a German Shephard X. We put two baby gates one above the other to separate them so they weren't alone but not together as well. She barrelled through them to be with Belle. (Both dogs can jump over one baby gate) She also tore down the blinds and got into the garbage. (the garbage was my fault) I think she tore down the blinds before she figured out she was big and stong enough to take out the gates :evil: So now the paint is chipping on my walls from the gates that she took down.

She is 8 years old and they said at the humane society that she gets paniky in a crate, they dont think she will hurt herself but warned that she can get out of anything she doesn't want to be in. They had to pad lock her kennel because she figured out the regular locks and would let herself out for a run all time :D

Now that I write this, she sounds like quite the handfull!!!

We go home everyday at lunch, Im debating on whether to let her out with Belle for the afternoon and see how they do. Im so worried that something will happen when we are at work and it will be 4 hours untill we are home to help them.

Hummm decisions decisions.

mesaana
May 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Ok, so here's the beginning of Honey's story. At the very beginning, when we had just gotten her (before the basement thing), she made a mess in the house. I don't remember what she did, exactly. Probably, garbage digging, a bit of chewing... Anyways, I tried locking her up in the computer room. I came home to find blood all over the walls. She panicked and ripped her nails off scratching to get out. Honey was always an anxious dog, a little neurotic. I didn't have a crate and knew she was like that in a cage also. So, I did what people tell you not to do: I tied her to my bed. Her bed was between my bed and the wall and I put her there on a 6 foot leash. I also gave her a Kong with peanut butter. For some reason, there, she felt safe. After a while, I stopped tying her. As soon as I'd get out the Kong with peanut butter, she'd run to her bed as she knew she'd only get it if she was sitting on her bed. (And at that point we ran into the basement thing, because she'd go wandering downstairs.) Let me tell you, the command "to the bed!" was learned in no time!

Please, no one yell at me: I know it's not recommended to do that. I don't recommend it. But, in this particular case, it worked for us. Obviously she was tied on her leather collar, not a choke collar.

Lyne

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Wow now thats paniky! Im so glad things worked out so well for you! If I know my Shadow as well as I think I do, she would panik for a bit then she would very methodically get herself out of whatever she was in. I have teeth marks on the door knob, instead of scratching her way out she just works on opening the door knob. Within 1 hour of bringing her home she learned how to step on the garbage can latch to open the lid to get the garbage. And I caught her stretched up figuring the latch on the gate, she was going ot take herself for a walk that day!!

I really think If I let Shadow out she would hop on the couch and snooze until we get home if Wolf wasn't around. Wolf is now in a blocked off area and Im not sure how she would react to his constant barking.

She acts like her nerves are shot with this little buggar around!

mesaana
May 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Wow! You have a smart doggy! I hope you are doing some training with her, even at her age. She could be taught all kinds of tricks ;) I like the really smart ones. They're usually a lot of work but it's really worth it. Honey was very smart even though she was somewhat neurotic... I lost her way too young :sad:

Hopefully other people will chime in and give you ideas for this and the barking problem. That one, I've never had to deal with.

Lyne

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
We had a trainer come out to train us to train her:D She knows the usual tricks and we are finding new fun ones to teach her! I just wish she would figure out this off leash thing a little quicker though. She does have a stubborn streak and if theres fun dogs to play with she wont come back to us until she good and ready. :mad:

Sorry to hear about Honey :sad:

Thanks so much for all your help and ideas, I really appreciate it and am going to give it shot. Probably not for a week or 2 until the new guy settles in or gets adopted. Maybe if shes allowed with Belle she will hold it (fingers crossed)

Thanks again
Sarah

heeler's rock!
May 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Sarah! Sounds like you've got your hands full! :) Yay for dogs, huh?

I hate to say this, but the only way we stopped our pups from having accidents or chewing on walls and stuff, was crating them. I know you don't like it, but the way I saw it was, if they can't be trusted alone, they lose their privelledge to be free around the house. We only crate Kia and Helix as Red's really good on her own.

If Shadow is left with Belle, she won't hold it if she has to go. Sometimes they just go for fun it seems! She'll still poop or pee on the carpet, and trust me, that is NOT fun to come home to. If you decide to leave her with Belle, be sure to get a really good carpet cleaner!! :o

SarahLynn123
May 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Good point, Ill save my carpet for now! She will usually do awesome in the basement(Shadow) then all of a sudden we come home to a mess! At first it was a good couple days then a mess, then a week then a mess then was great until Wolf came in, so Im thinking she may have fell back a step with him.

I am leery on the crate thing, I may have to give it a go though if this keeps up. They bother me because she sleeps sprawled out because she gets hot quickly and pants all the time, I haven't seen a crate big enough to accomodate her sleeping positions and be strong enough to keep her in. She can and will chew her way out of a plastic one and the metal one that Belle has looks like it would be to flimsy for Shadow.

Maybe Im looking in all the wrong places.
Where would I find a really good strong one?
Thanks
Sarah