Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Purebred or rescue or rescue purebred

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 10th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I have been doing some research actually quite a bit of research on different dogs. My husband still wants a bulldog..... I actually like the English Cocker Spaniels they are less popular than the american cockers and tend to have less of the problems that the american ones. The english ones are supposed to be better with kids than the american ones (according to my research) I've been reading some posts on an English site that is just for English Cocker owners so there is quite a bit of info on that is helpful in learning about the breed.

I am considering three options
one to find a rescue english cocker all are in the states so far and don't feel comfortable adopting a dog long distance especially without meeting the dog first.

two. Get a puppy from a breeder. There are five in BC I don't know anything about any of them I have been in touch with the one near us by email but have yet to actually talk to her. Researching breeders is next on my list

Or three. hold out for a rescue dog from the shelter that would suit us. The majority of dogs at the shelter near us are too big or not reccomended for kids or are too active for us and the ones that we think may be suitable are 6 or more hours away. see reason one

Anyways I definatley want this dog to be with us forever so there is no time limit to find the right one. I guess any insight would be appreciated I do realize we made a mistake with our first dog but I think with proper research and some constructive input I do believe we could be the right owner for the right dog.

coppperbelle
May 11th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Have you checked out Petfinders? It will give you information on available dogs in your area. The rescue I work with puts their available dogs on petfinders. It is updated regularly. Best of all there are some great dogs that need a second chance.

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Is there not a waiting list you can sign, so that if one becomes available they call you??
what about all the people here that work with rescues ? Maybe you can be screened (home visit adoption process) now, and they can add you to their waiting lists?

mona_b
May 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Personally I find both very good with kids.With any breed,the importance is socialization.If they are not socialized with children,then chances are they won't like them.

Here is a link to the CSR of BC.

http://www.csrbc.org/adopt/

Just remember,there may be some on there that are not good with kids.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Thanks for the replys

Yes I am on petfinders everyday
and I do have my name on the ECS rescue site. Thier not as common as the American so I think the wait for the rescue would be at least as one as one for a breeder. I would actually prefer to get one from a rescue if possible.

thanks for the tips.

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I commend you for doing research!

Please don't think I"m a wet blanket, but I just have to ask how you keep THIS dog from getting out of the yard when the kids leave the gate open?

I'm not trying to be mean, I really am curious.

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 11:20 AM
what are you looking for in a dog, what does it ahve to be to suit your home??

i find it easier to list out my qualifications, adn then narrow it down to a breed, or in a rescue scenario it could be a mix of breeds.

that way there is less likelyhood of problems later on.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Well first of all I am going to get a breed that does not have a tendency to wander. So Huskies, Hounds, and Northern Breeds are out as well as any dog that has any history of fence jumping or digging. So I am hoping to not get a dog that will bolt out the front door the second he sees it open. This will be a combination of research and training.

Next I narrowed it down to breeds that are more retreiver type dogs and dogs that are more people orientated and dogs that are considered fairly easy to train and are good with kids. I narrowed it down to the ECS as retreivers might be to big for us and I have heard they can have some problems. I did have them going up as a child and they were wonderful but I think as a dog gains popularity there is bound to be some problems.

Then comes the training part which I am asking myself if I can handle. I have read up on it a lot and did have some success training Timber in a controlled enviornment.He was out of control when we got him so I did manage to stop him from jumping on people, sitting ,recall only in enclosed area, to go in his house. So I would take this experience to our next dog and continue to learn from there.

Although I have been around dogs my whole life, I must admit that I probably not that dog experienced especially with Puppies.

So now here is my dilemma
Do I get a puppy and put the time and effort training him or her as I haven't really had experience with a young puppy since I was maybe 10 and then I had a Cocker Spaniel that was not quite right,

Do I get an older dog that is already trained. But I don't know its background or if its good with kids.

Hopefully I am going about it the right way this time. I probably am leaving something out but I totally forget I was supposed to be somewhere five minutes ago and I am not even dressed yikes.

:)

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I would get a dog from 6months to 1.5 years if I was you. So much easier. And if you want a "stay at home dog", I suggest getting a female. They don't wander as much as males do.

If you get a dog from petfinder you might be more certain if s/he is good with kiddies.

Eleni
May 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Often times a rescue dog the rescue can tell you if the dog looks to be good with kids and other pets, or not.

if you do get a puppy I suggest looking in to training classes before hand, that way as soon as you get the dog and hes properly vaccinated then you can put him right into obedience.

and if you know beforehand the cost you can save for it if money is a concern.

and Puppies are very time instensive, taking them out to pee hourly and housbreaking,

teaching the dog manners both indoors and out.

takes the patience of the saint and alot of time. is this time you ahve?

if you dont I suggest an older more established dog

Eleni

LL1
May 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM
You may have trouble with rescues due to what happened with your last dog.Good luck in your search.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 04:08 PM
You may have trouble with rescues due to what happened with your last dog.Good luck in your search.

thanks for all the great advice. We have been to the SPCA and they seemed quite open to adopting to us again after knowing what happened with Timber. They tried to get us to adopt a Bernese Mountain dog Rotti cross great dog but pretty big and I didn't feel the time was right either. Anyways I am being honest about the whole situation hopefully it will help me to find the right dog for us.

I would get a dog from 6months to 1.5 years if I was you. So much easier. And if you want a "stay at home dog", I suggest getting a female. They don't wander as much as males do

I have heard that about females as well and I will definatley consider getting a dog a bit older I have heard it takes a about a year to housebreak a dog does that sound reasonable.

if you do get a puppy I suggest looking in to training classes before hand, that way as soon as you get the dog and hes properly vaccinated then you can put him right into obedience

I am somewhat familar with the dog obedience in this town there is only a few but it would be something we would start right of way.

what are you looking for in a dog, what does it ahve to be to suit your home?

1) A dog that is considered to be easily trainable and good with kids. So when I put in the effort to train him/her or take her to classes that I have a higher chance of being sucessful with her.

2) A dog that can get its excercise by going for walks about 45 minutes and can also get excercise in other ways such has playing fetch in the backyard or going to the beach or park with us.

3) A dog that can get along with other dogs and with people and that is considered non agressive and generally a gentle breed.

4)A dog that is the right size for our family and our kids. Not so big that it can knock my kids over by mistake, but not so small that I am worried my kids can hurt it so toy and teacup breeds are out. Also I would like it if my seven year old and I could walk the dog together. I thought about taking my seven year old to obedience class but I am not sure if its a good idea. OF course he wouldn't be walking or with the dog without supervision. We do have a fairly big backyard so I think it would definatley be a good size for a smaller breed dog.

5) A dog that doesn't mind travelling. We go to the coast every 6 months or so about a 6 hour drive with stops and do have permission from my parents to bring the dog with us. There is also an excellent kennel here that we could use if it happens the dog doesn't like to travel.

6) A dog that likes spending time with his family and to be around us.

7) A dog that can be alone some of the time for maybe 3 or 4 hours at a time.
My husband and i work opposite shifts so one of us is usually home with the kids we get babysitters on occasion the ones we have now all have dogs and liked our other dog so I think that would be alright. We would have to go out sometimes with out the dog maybe once or twice a month and the dog would need to be okay for a few hours by himself. I have done some reading on seperation anxiety and how to deal with it.

8) I am okay with the shedding and don't mind doing the brushing bathing etc and taking the dog to the beauty salon every 3 or 6 months. I might try to attempt the grooming myself but she gets a mullet by me then I would definatley stop.

Personally I find both very good with kids.With any breed,the importance is socialization.If they are not socialized with children,then chances are they won't like them.

Here is a link to the CSR of BC.

I have the csr link in my favorites their is definately more american cocker spaniels then english ones. Having a dog that is good with kids is really important I have known more american cockers to not be good with kids. Actually I dont know any English ones personally so I can only go on what I have heard from ECS owners on other dog forums but so far have heard all good things. Not to say there a perfect breed I know I will need to be selective and find the right dog for us whether I go with an ECS or a rescue dog.

thanks for all the suggestions I am open to any other ones anyone may have to :) ;) :cool:

LL1
May 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
That's good.Bear in mind rescues are different from shelters.
We have been to the SPCA and they seemed quite open to adopting to us again after knowing what happened with Timber. They tried to get us to adopt a Bernese Mountain dog Rotti cross great dog but pretty big and I didn't feel the time was right either. Anyways I am being honest about the whole situation hopefully it will help me to find the right dog for us.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I just completed one of those find the breed thats right for you. Here are the results. There were 32 breeds all together so here are just a few

top pick.1) English Springer Spaniel (I think it would be to energitic)
5) Field Spaniel
6) English Cocker Spaniel
?) Irish water spaniels
?)BRittiany Spaniels (actually I think all of the spaniels were on there
24) American Cocker Spaniel

here is the link if it works it just compares american to english cockers

http://sy.adiho.com/ASA/Controller;jsessionid=752DC926AF52100D729427349238 845A?tagid=752DC926AF52100D729427349238845A$0$4$99 01$en_US&state=6&_AD_195R22=104&r=-787008980

I have a feeling the price is off though I don't have that info yet but I would imagine they would be quite a bit more than that.

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
1) A dog that is considered to be easily trainable and good with kids. So when I put in the effort to train him/her or take her to classes that I have a higher chance of being sucessful with her.

2) A dog that can get its excercise by going for walks about 45 minutes and can also get excercise in other ways such has playing fetch in the backyard or going to the beach or park with us.

3) A dog that can get along with other dogs and with people and that is considered non agressive and generally a gentle breed.

4)A dog that is the right size for our family and our kids. Not so big that it can knock my kids over by mistake, but not so small that I am worried my kids can hurt it so toy and teacup breeds are out. Also I would like it if my seven year old and I could walk the dog together. I thought about taking my seven year old to obedience class but I am not sure if its a good idea. OF course he wouldn't be walking or with the dog without supervision. We do have a fairly big backyard so I think it would definatley be a good size for a smaller breed dog.

5) A dog that doesn't mind travelling. We go to the coast every 6 months or so about a 6 hour drive with stops and do have permission from my parents to bring the dog with us. There is also an excellent kennel here that we could use if it happens the dog doesn't like to travel.

6) A dog that likes spending time with his family and to be around us.

7) A dog that can be alone some of the time for maybe 3 or 4 hours at a time.
My husband and i work opposite shifts so one of us is usually home with the kids we get babysitters on occasion the ones we have now all have dogs and liked our other dog so I think that would be alright. We would have to go out sometimes with out the dog maybe once or twice a month and the dog would need to be okay for a few hours by himself. I have done some reading on seperation anxiety and how to deal with it.

8) I am okay with the shedding and don't mind doing the brushing bathing etc and taking the dog to the beauty salon every 3 or 6 months. I might try to attempt the grooming myself but she gets a mullet by me then I would definatley stop.

thanks for all the suggestions I am open to any other ones anyone may have to :) ;) :cool:

The dog you are describing is a greyhound! Gentle, good with kids, not high energy, okay alone, loves to be with people, etc.

But as LL1 said, a rescue will give you a hard time or may not adopt to you after what happened to your last dog and that is perfectly understandable. The same goes for any truly reputable breeder. If your local shelters are anything like ours, they won't care at all.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
hmm greyhound I dont know alot about them I guess I have always pictured them high energy as they are racing dogs. I will have to do some research on them. I still do like the english cockers though.... oh and re not adopting to us because of our former dog its a tough call for me I do like to be honest about our situation in the hopes that we wont make the same mistake twice
but I dont want it to be the one thing to stop us from getting a dog that might be a great fit for us. What does everyone think I should do in this situation.

thanks again for the feedback

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Not a springer spaniel!! I know so many people with families who get Springers and they are so unpredictable. I don't like unpredictability around kids. Cockers are very high energy and quite excitable when they are younger.

How big is too big? Is a lab too big?
I did the doggy finder on the Eukanuba website and I got:
Bearded Collie, Wheaten Terrier, Pug, Basset Hound, Portugese Water dog (I met one of these recently, very sweet doggy), Field Spaniel, Border terrier, Beagle, Lab, etc etc...

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Greyhounds are not high energy dogs, although they do like a good run once a week or so. In the house they are quiet couch potatoes, for the most part.

They aren't nearly as high energy as most spaniels or other hunting dogs and in general are much better with kids.

I wouldn't suggest lying to breeders or rescues. Just tell them what you did and how sorry you are, and that you will never dump another dog at the shelter.

You wont' be able to anyway, since rescues and good breeders require you to return the dog to them and say so in the contract.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I was surprised that the springer spaniel came first too as the research I've done said not to get one unless your actually going to hunt. I really dont want to go over about 40- 50 pounds, so its the right size for my kids. Ideally I think 25-30 pounds would be perfect. Anyways I wouldn't base my decision just on that one random test as I know not all the dogs on it would be right for me.

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Have you considered a Keeshond or Sheltie? I fostered a Keeshond, and she was very smart easy to train (she had a few issues when I got her, but was a breeze to correct) she was great with kids, and not high energy (I was 8 months pregnant and it was winter when she came to us) So long walks were out of the question, they are not very big, but not small and delicate either. She was great with my cats, and was totally non aggressive with visiters, or other dogs . I understand Shelties are quite similar in disposition.

Check out the Keeshond, and Sheltie on the internet, I think the Keeshond would be a good match for your family and what you are looking for ;)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Actuaaly Pebbles from the Kamloops Shelter was a Sheltie cross and very cute but young 8 weeks so she would need lots of training would have to really consider if I am up to training her before considering a puppy. I posted her on here a few days ago. Shes probably adopted already as she is very cute. Unfortunaltey also my hubby was bitten by a sheltie as a child so now hes a bit fearful of them.

raingirl
May 11th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I am surprised no one has pointed out how cockers can be agressive and needy dogs. They don't like to be alone at all, and I was told they can bite and are stubborn and hard to train. They are intolerant of things and will nip if they are teased (like if you have little kids who poke at them). Most females are very dominant and all of the dogs of this breed need firm consistant training. They are also extremely active, depending on where they were bred. If they come from field lines, they can be too active for a family pet (several hours of activity, not only 45 minutes).

Heck, my bulldog gets 2 hours a day of excercise at least, and he still is bouncing off the walls.

Retired racing greyhounds are couch potatoes. They just want to relax. Near me, all the retired racing greyhounds get together once a week or month (can't remember) at a fenced in dog park, and run around for fun for hours!

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 08:39 PM
. Unfortunaltey also my hubby was bitten by a sheltie as a child so now hes a bit fearful of them.
Keeshond and Sheltie are totaly different breeds.
Miniture Collie just came to mind as well.
You may want to check out this site as well, very informative about all breeds
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Well I am still researching so I haven't made any final decisions and now with all the info I am getting on this forum it looks like I will be researching some more on different breeds and mixed breeds.

As far as cockers go the springer and field spaniels would be too much energy
the americans have a tendency to be too high strung and are not reccommended for kids. One of the sites I've been looking at is
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html
it does not reccomend the american cocker spaniel for anyone with kids. I would stick with the english cockers if we do decide thats the breed we want.

Anyways I do realize the cockers do need a fair bit of excercise so I will definatley consider this. By the way raingirl do you have an american or an english bulldog. I know the american ones are quite a bit bigger and need more excercise than the english ones.

I will look further into the greyhound as I hadn't really considered it until today. We dont have any fenced in dog parks in town either so he would have to be on a leash at all times (I did read that they can't be off leash in an unenclosed area) but they do sound like a good dog so I will do some more research on them.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 11th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Keeshond and Sheltie are totaly different breeds.
Miniture Collie just came to mind as well.
You may want to check out this site as well, very informative about all breeds
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm

Isn't a minature collie the same as a sheltie?

happycats
May 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I thought they were different, I have met both and the owners refered to them as either a Sheltie OR Miniture Collie,(they sheltie owner never refered to her dog as a miniture collie and vice versa) And they did look different.
I don't really know for sure :confused:

MIA
May 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Don't know where you got your information but there is no such breed as a miniature Collie.

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Don't know where you got your information but there is no such breed as a miniature Collie.

Funny, I had a friend when I was younger whose parents used to "show" what they refered to as a Miniture Collie (looked exactly like Lassie but much smaller)I even went to a show with them !!

mona_b
May 12th, 2005, 11:22 AM
there is no such breed as a miniature Collie.

Exactly....Shelties are actually called Shetland Sheepdogs..Shelties is just a nickname for them.... :D

MIA
May 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Funny, I had a friend when I was younger whose parents used to "show" what they refered to as a Miniture Collie (looked exactly like Lassie but much smaller)I even went to a show with them !!

I am guessing they had a Sheltie cause as far as I know there has never been a miniature collie. I have been studying dog breeds since I was little as I have been obsessed since I was a youth!!!

If it looked like Lassie but was smaller, that is a Sheltie.

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I am guessing they had a Sheltie cause as far as I know there has never been a miniature collie. I have been studying dog breeds since I was little as I have been obsessed since I was a youth!!!

If it looked like Lassie but was smaller, that is a Sheltie.

I'm sorry, i don't know why they always refered to him as a "minituer collie"
you would think being in shows and all they would know!!
I found this on the AKC (it refers to them as "working Collies in miniture")
http://www.akc.org/breeds/shetland_sheepdog/did_you_know.cfm
maybe that's where the confusion was :confused:

MIA
May 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Unless they were showing in 1909 they were shelties as the information you posted said Shelties received separate classification in 1914...

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Maybe they just didn't want to make it complicated... Everybody knows what a collie is...

happycats
May 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe they just didn't want to make it complicated... Everybody knows what a collie is...

Thanks Prin ;)
i have no idea why they refered to him in that way :confused:

Prin
May 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
One of my favorite dogs at our park is a sheltie named Pooch. He's an awesome dog. Barky, but SWEET. So sweet he stands out from the rest. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Actually there was a sheltie at the SPCA but hes gone now. The smaller dogs don't seem to last very long there. I have heard the term minature collie too.
Is there a smooth sheltie or one with shorter hair (I know I'm so picky) I did like Pebbles but shes been adopted and not so sure we should go the very young puppy route anyways. Anyways we seem to be still in search and reseach mode so unless a dog comes along that we can really see living with us were not going to rush into anything. It may be better to if the rescue shelters know that were not rushing into anything....Thanks so much for all suggestions there all very helpful.
:D

MIA
May 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM
There is a Sheltie at the Vancouver Animal Shelter as well! Yes there is a smooth Collie, they are lovely! I would love to have one some day. Where are you in BC? There is a collie rescue in BC.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/images/breeds/smooth_collie.jpg

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I am in Vernon about 6 hours from Vancouver we got down 2 or 3 times a year. I think a Collie might be to big but I do like the size of the Sheltie I don't think we would want to go bigger than that.

Also I never mentioned this but my nextdoor neighbours kids are petrified of dogs I believe its partly the moms fault because everytime shes sees a dog (or cat)she automatically starts warning the kids and gets them to huddle right next to her....she said she wasn't sure why her kids were so afraid of dogs gee I wonder I. She actually cheered when we rehomed Timber. Anyways I wouldn't use this as reason not to get another dog but I don't want to scare them with another big dog either. Anyways we are respectful of their dog fears and let them have the space they need.

SnowDancer
May 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I think a Greyhound would be a good choice for your family. My vet is involved in rehoming greyhounds and agrees the temperament as per the other posters.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 12th, 2005, 11:41 PM
The greyhound seems like a nice dog.
One thing that we would like in a dog is one that we can have off leash in a desiginated area and not worry that he is going to take off on us. So if we take the dog to the doggy beach (seperate beaches here for doggies and humans) we can say throw him a ball and he will come back to us.

I'm not sure if the greyhound has good recall skills or if it is something that I should be concerned about.

Also they are a bit bigger than we wanted, is a whippet a similar breed to a greyhound does it have a similar temperment and do they adopt out retired whippets to families.

Also the English Cocker Spaniel Lady finally called me back. Maybe some of you could get a feel if she seems like she might be a trustworthy breeder if I do decide to go that route.

http://members.shaw.ca/fieldancers/

So I was able to ask her some cocker related questions.
I'm not sure if she gave the right answers or just ones that I wanted to hear.

Here are the answers that I got maybe if someone can let me know if they think it sounds realistic.

Excercise requirements. About a half hour a day or more if desired and my older son would be okay walking him. She did say they don't need alot of excercise as they are a smaller dog. I have read otherwise

Are they good with kids she said yes very good.

As she heard of cocker rage? yes she has but none of her dogs or pups have it as far as she knows.

What do you strive for when breeding your dogs?
She said temperment and all her dogs are friendly

Do you breed show quality and pet qualtiy puppies. Yes I did not ask the difference is between show quality and pet quality besides the actual physical characteristics

Are they okay off leash. She said yes they like to be close to you and normally won't run off unless something scares them.

She said for the first year they don't like to be alone and they don't like to be outside but sitting on the couch beside you.

How do you decide who you adopt your puppies out to. She said she just gets a feeling that there the right family.

Are they common. She said no which I believe because I think I have maybe seen one here and I'm not sure if it was as it went be my window quickly and my blinds were half closed. Most of the cocker spaniels here are the american ones

How much are they 1000 dollars plus GST PST

We arent ready to get a puppy just yet, can we come visit and meet you and your dogs. Yes just call the day ahead

Meant to ask her some other questions but didn't such as if she had adult dogs or older puppies that come available for adoption. Will ask that when we get a chance to meet her dogs.

Anyways will keep up the research thanks for all the advice.

Prin
May 13th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Well the site looks thorough.. The contract too. I like that they want to know when the dog dies. You'll have to meet them though. I believe you can see pain or happiness in a doggy's eyes sometimes, so maybe you'll be able to tell something.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I definatley plan to bring my family to meet her and her dogs before we make any decisions. There are some other breeders to on Vancouver Island and on the coast so I think I should talk to them too. I really do like the breed and from the research that I've done I have heard almost all good things about them. There was one incident of cocker rage on an English site, but it is supposed to fairly rare with the English Cockers one in 1000. It would be nice to talk to some English Cocker owner and I also have another lady to call in Massachusettes that is supposed to very involved with them, she used to breed and shows, them and I believe she is involved in English Cocker rescue in the states. Anyways I am still looking at rescue too incase there is something that may suit us its hard at the spca because if you see a dog that may be right you research and discuss it and then the dog is gone.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 14th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Am I being to selective and picky.

I just got accused on another site of being too selective and wanting the perfect dog (a stuffed dog). Isn' t it better to be selective and a get a dog thats as right for you as possible. I do realize that dogs take work, training, not to mention cleaning poop if we get a puppy, and puppy proofing our house. Another reason why I am not rushing into anything is our house is definately not puppy proof right now because of all the kid toys around. Anyways I do realize I am favouring the ECS as I really like the breed but I am trying to ask lots of questions and talk to different people about them. I am also trying to find more info on the greyhounds, shelties, Keeshonds and other breeds that I hadn't really considered. Anyways we've told ourselves at least 6 months to year of researching and asking questions to really find whats the right dog for us. This is actually hard for me as I would love to rush out and get a cute ECS puppy but I know I don't know enough about the breed yet to go out and get one yet, and maybe they're not the right dog for us and maybe theres a better one for us. Maybe the shelties and greyhounds are better for us I just need to know the breed more to find out.

Lucky Rescue
May 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
It's fine to be selective, as long as you do not have unrealistic expectations.

If you want a dog who can be off leash outside of an enclosed area, don't get a greyhound. They are sight hounds and will take off after anything that moves, even far in the distance. They cannot be tied up either, since if they take off at 40mph and hit the end of the rope, they will break their necks.

Shelties are known for barking quite a bit, which is normal for them to do when they are herding.

You need to look at what a dog was bred for. This will help you to know what you can expect from it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 14th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I guess when it comes down to it what we really want is a nice family dog. It turns out we do have some history of English Cockers in our family my great grandfather used to breed them and my mom had them growing up she had two named Brandy and Soda and said they were great dogs this was a long time ago as my mom is now 84 and she was in her teens or younger when she had them.
Anyways I do remember seeing this old black and white photo of her and her ECS's and not really thinking much about it except they look like nice dogs. Anyways when doing my research I thought of this picture and said wait a minute I think those were English Cockers sure enough they were. My mom remembered the dogs well and asked me to get her one too if I do end up with one. Then she said on second thought you can just bring yours to visit. Anyways it just seems funny how I would like the breed so much and it turns out that they actually run in our family history. Yes I know its probably not a good enough reason to get the breed and I will continue the research.
Here is a site on the breed if anyones interested.

http://www.ecsca.org/

Prin
May 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Don't forget that shelties do herd-- if your kids get too excited the doggy may possibly start running around the room... I don't know if it was just my cousin's who did that, but it seemed normal to us for a herding breed to herd when things got too chaotic...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 15th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Well we took our usual Sunday Jaunt to the SPCA, dogs available were
Lab border Collie
Rottie,Shephard
Blue Heeler Lab cross
Husky
Doberman Shephard Cross
McNab Collie
some more Border Collies

and a very cute puppy Border Collie, Blue Heeler and maybe possibly a bit of Husky. Very mellow pup when we met her but we do think she may have been taken away from her mom too young she was only 8 weeks old but oh so cute!! wish I had pic.

So did a search on Blue Heelers and Border Collies both said thrives vigorous excercise will destroy your house and yard if not excercised enough and I already know about the husky breed.

I guess shes not for us :( that shes still there but :) were not making a big mistake by getting her.Hopefully the dogs there will get their right owners

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 11:30 PM
The Dobie Shep mix is too big right?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 12:00 AM
yes it was about as big as Timber our Malamute Husky.
The Border Collie heeler puppies arent on the site yet. Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.spca.bc.ca/vernon/#adoptions

The dobie sheps name is Zeus

I actually still really do like the English Cockers and I do believe one could fit into our life style I do believe we are active enough and one of is always home to be with this dog. I do still plan to research more and talk to breeders so I'm not going to rush out and get one. I did hear from one woman that has one. She has four kids 2 to 10 and she says the dog fits well into their life style, she said hes been easy to train. I asked about excercise and she said the dog is always with her in the yard and the kids play ball with him. She said he plays fetch until he is tired then he wont bring the ball back anymore. She didn't mention walking but thats is something I do on a regular basis on most days. I do plan to get more feed back on the breed, and will continue to look at the shelter as I think I would have some guilt getting a purebred when there could be one at at shelter for us. I asked the breeder in our area if she ever has older Cockers for adoption because I would be totally fine with that . Also there is a difference between the american and English Cockers. The English Cockers were the original cockers and the Americans were bred from them. The American Cockers are generally good dogs, but it is hard to find one that is healthy and affected by poor breeding. English Cockers are much less common and the chances of getting one that is of sound temperment and health is much higher, of course with any breed you have to do your research and check out the breeder which I plan to do.

This isn't an easy decision but I am confident that we are going about it the right way this time.

Prin
May 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Have you read your posts? Sounds like you're set on an English Cocker. I say, in this case, as long as you are informed, follow your heart. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 01:23 AM
I guess the next step is to meet some breeders and some dogs to see how they really relate to us and us to them. Part of the reason why we are waiting is because we are going on holiday in November and don't want to put a young dog in a kennel or leave someone responsible for her when theres a good chance she may not be house broken. Its the first holiday in 10 years so it will probably be the last for at least five if were lucky!!!! So were going to use this time to search and do some more doggy homework. We would hopefully like to get the dog next spring or summer so if we do get a puppy we can start the potty training when the weathers nice. :cool:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=BC71&preview=1

Any opinions on Maggie she is a cocker spaniel mix (american probably because of the shorter nose. It doesn't say too much about her but her personality would suit us.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Well I emailed the English Cocker Spaniel breeders and asked them the following questions I also told them about ourselves so they would have a general idea of what enviornment the dog would be in. If it turns out that we would be a good match for an ECS then I will find out about more serious things such as papers, health guarantees, etc... Here are the questions I sent to the breeders I probably should have posted them here first do you guys think they are good questions, what questions would everyone else ask if looking for a purebred dog.

How much excercise does an ECS need. Minimum and maximum
What is the best type of excercise for and English Cocker?

What type of training works best with an English Cocker what can we expect while training him or her.

How bad is Cocker Seperation Anxiety are your cockers ever alone.
Would you reccomend a dog sitter if you need to be away from home for more than an hour. What is the maximum amount of time you would leave your dog alone. Would it be okay to get a child over the age of ten that likes dogs to dogsit if we need to go out.

When housebreaking a ECS what can we expect.

Do you ever have adult Cockers for adoption that would be suitable for kids.

Do you let people visit your kennel by appointment just to meet the dogs and talk to you about them.

My husband wanted me to ask this one. How much does a ECS cost. Were not looking for a bargain dog and do know they are more expensive than an American Cocker but in general have less of the problems than an American one. I told him probably around 1000 dollars as the breed is a bit rare.

Last question. Your number was on the web do you take calls from people interested in English Cockers, when is the best time to call.

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM
my suggestin, take it or leave it, visit the kennel by serprise, that way you truely know the dogs living conditions.

People can put on a good show when they know your coming.

most reputal breeders/kennels will be cool with a stop in unannounced to take a look at the dogs.

Eleni

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Thats a good idea but it wouldn't that be a bit forward. and some of the kennels are about 10 hours from us and a ferry boat ride, so I would hate to waste a trip if they werent there. Could they hide a puppymill say wouldn't I have some idea as to the temperment of the dogs when I met them like if the puppies were all skittish or overly aggressive wouldn't I know that to be a bad sign. Also I would ask to see the kennels are where the pups are raised
and to see a copy of the adoption contract and AKC papers. and maybe the Bitches medical records if its not asking too much.

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2005, 07:39 PM
visit the kennel by serprise,

Reputable hobby breeders don't have kennels, since they usually have only a few dogs. Their breeding is done in their homes, and they do not appreciate people just dropping in.

If they so many dogs they need a kennel, I would be leery.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Whats an acceptable amount of dogs. The lady I talked to on the phone breeds both English Cockers and Flat Coated retreivers I believe there is another lady involved as well. I know she has four bitches which she breeds with one stud dog. There were three flat coated retreivers and nine stud dogs. I have no idea if she has the stud dogs. I have heard its better if the dad dogs don't live with the breeder. So I guess that means she would have either seven dogs or seventeen. I guess I will see when I visit.

Also I heard back from one of the breeders that I emailed
She said for excercise two 20 minute walks and 20 minutes of playing fetch. She said the best excercise for them is swimming we live near a lake so that we could do in the summer. I guess now I need to found out how cold the dogs can handle the water.

She said they were pretty smart dogs and pick up easily to training, and they can be alone for up to four hours but it depends of course on the dog.

She did say most breeders won't adopt to families with kids under 6 as they tend to forget to shut the gate and just don't quite understand. I took this as an opportunity to tell her about our past situation.Don't feel good about telling this story now and I don't feel good not telling this story either way I'm either lying or I am a dog giver upper. She did say she adopted to a family with young kids and one of them kept letting the dog out and he was running around the neighbourhood. Actually not sure if he was running around the neighbourhood without them knowing or he was running around and they were trying to catch him and he was ignoring them. I did ask about the recall skills again to see if it did happen if the dog would just come back in. I do have a feeling their recall skills are good if they are trained properly.

This particular breeder did not have adult dogs for adoption. Hopefully I will hear from the other breeders and get some more feed back.

:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Would y'all mind giving some more feed back on ECS Breeders

http://ca.geocities.com/andsomecockers/ecs.html

http://cantabriaecs.tripod.com/index.html

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2005, 09:36 AM
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=BC22&sort=pet.Breed&pet.Animal=Dog&preview=1

Please check out Todd

My husband is in love with this puppy and I will admit I think he is pretty cute to and had a very gentle calm disposition. The volunteers there said they thought he was Bordie Collie, Heeler cross. The other girl thought he was Border Collie Husky cross. The website now says he is a hound mix and he is three months old, they told us at the shelter he was 8 weeks the puppy we saw at the shelter must have been is litter mate because she was a girl I am pretty sure. Also one girl said he wouldn't get that big and the other girl said she wasn't sure. So I guess in reality we don't know how big the dog to get and what mixed breed he is.

I would still rather have an ECS as I know soemething about the breed I do think this pup is cute but really need someones opinion.

happycats
May 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Todd is just the cutest littlt thing :D
He looks like american eskimo X maybe with a BC, those ears and that face remind me of an american eskimo though.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yes and she seemed very mellow to just wanted to be petted and cuddled Solo the Mcnab puppy and her share a pen and Solo keeps pulling her blanket of that she sits on then she just keeps getting back on as if to say here we go again. Don't know if an puppy mellow dog would grow up to be an adult mellow dog.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 11:56 PM
http://www.spca.bc.ca/SunshineCoast/Dog-Georgie.htm

I have posted her on the training thread too as I need some advice as she is not quite house broken. Everything else seems great good with kids loyal, never has shown aggression and likes to play. I am concerned with the toileting issue and the fact that I start a new job on tuesday, my husband would have to be the one taking her out and doing the training when I am gone. He has no experience housebreaking dogs and I have had very little although I have been reading up on how to house break a dog and feel confident that I could be successful, especially now that I know that your not supposed to rub their noses in it!! Thats what we did with our ACS when I was ten and she never was house broken I guess my parents never knew any better and neither did I at the time. I did email the shelter to see if she is still available and to see if she may be suitable for us.