Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nesting

Dog Mom
May 10th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Lets start with some background info first my Siberian Husky Zoe had 10 puppies on New Year, (first and only litter). We had her Spayed about 4 weeks ago and she has started nesting just like when she was about to deliver her puppies. She's been pacing and "acting pregnant", she has also taken to grooming our 3 ferrets. She has always gotten along really well with them but she has never been so overly attentive with them(its really cute though). Could she be having a false pregnancy? after being spayed?

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM
My old lab nested with socks. Literally. She would keep them in her bed and she'd stay there for days protecting them. She would only get up to eat and pee...

Is she swelling at all? Are there any other symptoms?

Dog Mom
May 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM
No swelling or other symptoms that I can tell. We have 4 dogs ( all are spayed and neutered) including Zoe, and they all sleep in our room ( a double mattress on the floor yes they are extreeeemly spoiled). We also have a big bean bag chair in our room and that's where she's been nesting, every toy and scrunchie she can find goes there with her and god forbid any of the other dogs touch her "nest" or her toys. she's stopped sleeping on the mattress with the others and stays solely on the chair, it takes a lot of coaxing to get her to go outside for a pee even.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
My old lab was exactly like that. I don't know what causes that, though. We just left her alone until she was finished with her "litter".

Just out of curiousity, do you know when this doggy was separated from her litter? My lab came to us at 6 weeks (too early) because her mother attacked her. It would be weird if this could be a common denominator, if your doggy was too young too.

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM
My dog does that..but he's a boy so I dunno. Every day he will cart around all his favorite toys to the room we are in. If we change rooms, he will bring everything to the next room.

He has been watching over a greenie for about a week now. It has to be close to him or he goes around looking for it.

Dog Mom
May 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM
We actually found Zoe wondering along the shore of a lake when we were out fishing one day. We put posters up and asked around ( we live in a tiny town ). The vet figured she was around 6 or 7 weeks. No one claimed her so we HAD to keep her :D I'll try and get a picture to post on here. This is her first time displaying this behaviour though. She about 2 and a half now. So do you think that we should keep the other dogs away untill she's finished taking care of her "litter". That's what we did when she had her real puppies, and everything worked out ok.