Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sun Tanned Doggy

doggy lover
May 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Now that summer is finally coming I have a question, is there a suntan lotion for dogs. As you can see Tucker is very white on his nose and he gets sunburnt on it. So I am looking for a stick type lotion, nothing with funkie colours like the kids stuff as I don't want a multicoloured dog. Preferably something that is waterproof as Tucker loves to play in the pond at the cottage where he is outside all day. Any ideas? :)

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I bought some sunblock in a stick - about the size of a lipstick tube - by DogZDen. It is colourless (white looking in tube). My Eskimo has a black nose that is very sensitive to sun and turning pinkish. We used to share my Erno Laszlo sunscreen but since it has been d/c I don't have enough to share. I am having trouble finding something I can use and was considering trying his in desperation. I put some of his stick on him this morning, but I had to pretend to be applying it to my face first. Both he and my RIP Dachshunds loved my face creams and sunblock - but sharing was key. Guess I will find out how this stuff works. Also need to do his tummy as it is very pink and white and he does like to show it off.

Cactus Flower
May 10th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Sorry, I don't have any advice about sunscreen.

I just had to comment on your dog's eyes. They are absolutely gorgeous, both in color and expression. Just....wow.

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I use the same sunscreen on the dog as I use on my baby.

i figure if its gentle enough for the baby's skin is good for sams skin too

Eleni

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
We have a sunscreen for sensitive skin that should be ok to use. However, something occured to me this weekend. We use zinc oxide cream in Odin's wrinkles to dry them out, and zinc oxide is also an effective sunscreen! So...I just put some in his wrinkles, and a little more on the areas of his face that are pink.