Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going to the surgeon today...

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I've drawn an X on my hernia because doctors freak me out so much I know I won't be able to find it with the doc's eyes on me... She'll decide if and when I get it fixed or not.... We'll see what happens. It's bit scary... :eek:

Princesss04
May 10th, 2005, 11:45 AM
You can do it Prin you will be fine. I will keep in my thoughts and prayers all day! Let me know how things go. Sending you good vibes all day dear! :D

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM
good luck!

Eleni

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Do hernias need to be fixed? I've always wondered that. Now that I know what a hernia is, I'm a little concerned about one I "had". Hernias of the abdomen are tears in the abdominal tissue so that part of the bowel sticks out right (which is why we have a little bump?). I used to have one in my pelvic area. My mom noticed it when I was a kid (pre-puberty) and the doc looked, and didn't see anything wrong with it. Now it's kinda hidden and I worry what problems could happen because of it.

Maybe cyber can chime in on this one.

Good luck Prin, I'm like that too with docs. If I don't write everything down I want to ask, I forget it all!

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Good Luck Prin! I'll be thinking about you! :grouphug:

Cactus Flower
May 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Good luck, Prin!

What can happen with some hernias is they just tear more....and more. That's when they need to be repaired.

I've had a few repaired on my leg (ironically, from too many surgeries), and have yet another that popped up that needs to be repaired, also.

My ex had an "umbilical hernia"- a tear around the belly button. I just got larger and larger and also had to be repaired.

The good news is , it is simple to fix, and not too terribly long in the way of recovery time. They stitch in a screen-type material, and that's that.

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I recall my mother having a hernia in her navel when I was 10 - so 1960. She had surgery to fix it. My husband had quite a large hernia that he had to have removed last year. He was able to get into the Shoudice Clinic in Toronto - "the" place to go. The Shoudice Clinic is strictly limited to hernia repair using the Shoudice technique. Hopefully he will not develop a hernia on his other side - but it is possible. More common in men though than in women. Shouldice gets patients from all over the world. Particularly people who have been unsuccessful in having the hernias removed by "conventional" surgeries. It is like a country club - couldn't believe it.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I'm back already. And I am mad as hell. She said basically even though it hurts like hell and I have all the symptoms of a hernia, they will only fix it if it gets so huge that you can see it easily through the skin. So the past few months while I was waiting for this stupid appointment and taking it easy so I don't make it worse, I should have been overdoing it to make it huge. Everybody kept telling me, don't lift heavy stuff because it will make it worse, and from now on when somebody I know gets a hernia, I'm going to tell them never stop. Lift and lift and lift, because if the hernia is small, you have to live with it. She said it would hurt the same amount whether it was small or huge, so I don't see why they can't fix it now. I hate doctors.

The only good news is that when I eventually do need the surgery they are going to put me under-- I was worried because a friend of mine just had an epidural... I like to be under.

Maybe I'll get a second opinion in a private clinic. They seem to have more time...

CyberKitten
May 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I won't comment b/c I do not know all the details. Hernia surgery is very basic and not that complicated and pretty routine so you should not worry. If you did not like the opinion of this doctor, get another one. Many ppl live with hernias without surgery - there are many many different kinds of hernias needless to say. I think surgery is indicated only if it is affecting your quality of life. is intractable, causing severe pain and cutting off blood supply - that sort of thing.

Cactus Flower
May 10th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Second opinion, definitely.

Unfortunately, some people consider hernias to be something you can live with, unless your guts are literally spilling out. Insurance doesn't like to pay for it, unless the doc says this is very serious.

The ones on my leg are considered serious because the muscle is what is popping out, and they consider that to be an impairment to walking, as it's such a high-motion area.

My ex was lucky because he's Navajo, so it's completely free at the Navajo hospital. All he had to say was "it hurts", and they approved the surgery to repair it.

A friend of mine in Florida, however, got the same runaround you're getting. He has a huge hernia in his stomach, but the docs said "Live with it", and his insurance won't cover it until the docs say it's necessary.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated, and you do have a right to be.
When you get your second opinion, make sure to highlight how this hernia is impairing you. Maybe those are the key words to getting it repaired.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
That's what I don't get. Maybe the healthcare is free here and maybe that is why, but if I was my own doggy, I would still be at the vet and I wouldn't come home until the hole was sewn up. Maybe I should just do it myself. LOL. I can't touch it, let alone play with it... I have to ask my friend who his dr was. He was in and out within 2 months. I had to wait over 2 months just to get the consult... :mad:

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Wow. Mine didn't even hurt, maybe that's why they said it was ok! It sucks that it hurts and they won't fix it!

I don't know where your hernia is, but I heard that gurtles can help with the pain.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM
There are belts, but my hernia is just inside my hip so it would be hard to get the belt tight there. Besides, I have to do some unprotected heavy lifting to make it worse anyway. :)

Cactus Flower
May 10th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Prin, what if the worst you could make it is still not bad enough for them? Then you will have enlarged your hernia for nothing, and put yourself through unnecessary pain. Maybe the location of hernia means it will never be considered "critical". Please, caaaaaaalm down, get a second opinion and go from there.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I really think it's just the public/private thing. I think you have to be in a bad way before the public system recognizes you but if you got private and whip out your credit card, your problems are priority number 1... YEY 2 tier!!

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Get a second opinion. My husband was diagnosed by his doctor, but then had to go to one of the Shouldice clinics that are held in locations other than at the hospital. His hernia definitely needed surgery and was growing. Of course there was a waiting list. They booked him right away - only because his weight was good and blood pressure not high, no medications etc. - but still it was several months in advance. He had to wear the special belt. As far as cost goes, Shouldice Clinic offers only semi-private accommodation so if your insurance covers ward only, you have to pay the difference. I think the cost was a couple of hundred dollars. He had the procedure under a local - their preferred method - but it wasn't easy.