Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Which are good fats????

heidiho
May 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Ok i am hooked on raw brazil nuts,but i see that nuts are high in fat,but i heard there are good fats and bad fats...Which are the good fats???And does that mean they are not that fattening,>>I dont get it............

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Unsaturated = good
Saturated = bad
Trans = bad
Hydrogenated = bad
Anything that hardens at room temp is bad.

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Good fats don't clog your arteries like bad fats, but they can still make you fat if you eat too many.

Good fats are the naturally-occurring, traditional fats that haven't been damaged by high heat, refining, processing or other man-made tampering such as 'partial hydrogenation'. The best of these kinds of fats are found in fish, nuts, avocados, seeds and, believe it or not, fresh creamery butter.

basically, avoid margerine which is the worst fat for your body, then if you eat meat, try and eat organic grain fed meats, as their fats will be a little better for you. Avoid processed fats (like generic vegetable oil) and use coconut oil or peanut oil instead. Cooking the fat actually makes it worse for you, and in Olive oil it actually ruins all the health benefits of it.

"Good" fats
"Bad" fats

Nuts
Margarine

Seeds
Fied foods

Avocados
Partially hydrogenated fats

Fish oils
Refined vegetable oils

Flaxseed oil; flax meal
Saturated fats, in excess

Olive oil
Most polyunsaturated fats

Organic, free-range meats

Fresh butter (in moderation)

Why isn't my table showing up? Are we not allowed to build tables using HTML here?

twinmommy
May 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM
so what about Krispy Kremes??? hehehehe lol Just kidding!!

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Krispy kremes sound good about now....bad fats blah

i try to keep my diet at like 95% vegetables and the rest meat and treats and whatever and hope that keepts my ticker healthy, I can never keep track at all the detailed junk nuttritionists throw around

Eleni

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM
So does that mean that the person who told me that if you eat chocolate while standing on your head you won't gain any weight was lying??? :eek: No wonder my butt is huge and I always have a headache! :D LOL

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
LMAO http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1074.gif

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Kripsy Kremes are VERY GOOD fats, and those go below the bad ones on the scale.

good--> bad---> very good... :)

heidiho
May 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Ok so what nuts are the good kinds???Cause i am loving brazil nuts...

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I think nuts are a good fat

but even a good fat can be excessive if you eat lots it.

so in moderation i say go nuts :P

Eleni

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I think all nuts are good fat...so eat your nuts. It is recommened you don't eat more than 1/4 cup a day though.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I think all nuts are good fat...
Even donuts? I'm going to get me some krispy cremes. I have a coupon for buy 1 dozen get one free. :)

heidiho
May 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
:D :D U guys r to funny............... :D

Crazy Hippie
May 15th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Fats from nuts are good for you! They are mono and polyunsaturated fats..good for your heart. But remember nuts are high in calories too so watch your intake. Too many extra cals will make you fat even if it's good fat!

Lizzie
May 15th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Monitor your intake of salted nuts too...too much salt can be a bad thing. I am partial to cashews....but we all know they are too pricey to get too hooked!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 15th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I do the 80 20 rule, eat healthy 80% of the time including fresh fruit, veggies, and protein and whole grain breads. The other 20% eat what you want because you gotta have a life! oh and excercise too and don't compare yourself to others. I think nuts are good fat but like everyone else said on here you can't eat too many.

CyberKitten
May 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Brazil nuts ARE good for you. I like almonds and cashews myself - and pistachios which are not quite as good but OK. I have never had a krispy kreme - the most I will opt for is a Walnut Crunch at Tim's. I do love the hazelnut biscottis at Starbucks tho!! Fortunately, there is one at the Student Union building but the others in our region are at Chapters, sigh! (which excerpt for the Micmac Mall in Dartmouth) tends to be located with all the big box stores. There is also one at the halifax airport tho and with my travel schedule, that's kewl, lol

I forgot tho that in Frederiton Chapters is near the Fredericton Inn and in Moncton, it is near the Champlain Mall - not too bad locations, lol Do I know my Starbucks, lol (Honest, they do not pay me a commission for advertising!) ;)

Having said all that tho, I still prefer Tim's cappichinno (sp?) to Starbucks - call me pedestrian in my tastes, I do not care, hehheh And we have two Tim's in the hospital so that's OK. No stopping on the way to work, leave the house, walk in the building, manage to find my parking lot (despite the many yrs of early AM's, I am still NOT a morning person), say hello to the security guy who is also works for the RCMP and tells me about his latest activities (I am not sure he should be but it's OK, I won't tell), hightail it to Tim's - now moved to a convenient location in tbe parking garage - and then to my office.

chico2
May 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I read somewhere that nuts are very high in Cholesterol,I have a thing for Cashews,I buy the big jars at Costco..yum...
Otherwise I eat what I want,when I want,but everything in moderation...seems to work for me :thumbs up

Schwinn
May 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Too much of anything will cause you to put on weight...well, except ExLax, but that's another story...

The fat in nuts can actually help you lose weight, but again, in moderation.

As for doughnuts, I always get the ones with the bigger holes...less fat ;)

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I saw someone interviewed last night on CNN - cannot recall the name - who suggested everyone eat a handful of cashews before meals to lower cholesterol and BP. I can do that, lol

BEAR_NZ
May 18th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Nuts are a wonderful source of protein, and Essential fatty acids,(which we need to source from our diets, as they cannot be produced by the human body.) They are phospholipids, and aid healthy cell function, and are extremely protective against immune disorders, cancers etc... I have also found that they are very good for fibre content in the bowel!!! :D
CK you have made me homesick for Tim Hortons.... we don't have them down here in NZ, but we have recently got Starbucks... moving up in the world!!! hahahaha