Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oscar and Lady are going to eat each other!

LittleLoves
May 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
:)

Our little Shih-Tzu Oscar is 9 weeks old and has been with us just under two weeks. Our Lady (2 1/2) has slowly come around and now I can't separate them! At first Lady seemed afraid of Oscar and would jump and run if he came near her. Then she started sniffing him. Each time she would sniff he would "snap" his little teeth in a playful (we think) way. Now they lay together almost all day rubbing their teeth on each other's faces! :rolleyes:

Is this a friendly thing? Lady doesn't have to be near Oscar at all because he is confined to the kitchen and dining room. Lady has the whole rest of the house, but she chooses to not only be in the same room with Oscar, but lays down to accept his teething abuse! He grabs her upper lip with his teeth and pulls, stands on his hind legs and tries to jump on her head and she lays there. She opens her mouth and rubs her teeth on his head, and occasionally pins him with her snout when he becomes to much to handle. It "looks" friendly, her tail is wagging, but is it? Here is a pic of them "face wrestling".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ChantelleK/Untitled_0056004_0003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ChantelleK/Ladyoscar.jpg

Maybe I should add that Oscar frequently lays on his back so that Lady can sniff his underside. :p

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
The stance that Lady is taking in the first picture indicates play to me. Our first newf was raised with two west highland white terriers - one of which was about the same age as the newf. As Lacey got bigger, she would lay on the floor so that the westie pup could jump on her - that's how she played with smaller dogs (she also carried them around by their collars). If Lady has the option to get away from Oscar, but chooses to lay with him and play kissy face with him - I would think they are fine. :D

goldenblaze
May 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Jordie my shih tzu was not keen on Blaze Golden puppy when he first came home at 8 weeks Jordie would run away from him. Blaze would want to play and bet at him, now they love each other and play as you are saying your dogs are. The older dog would of hurt the little one by now if she was going too. Jordie plays much rougher than Blaze and Blaze takes alot from Jordie. I'm sure they will be fine, they are just playing and having fun..bonding. :)

BTW, very cute Shih Tzu, nice colour :love:

Something I did was train Blaze to have something in his mouth at all times when playing, this way he can't hurt Jordie with his teeth if he gets too excited. In this pic Jordie is all over Blaze but Blaze has his ball.
Jordie is now 4.5 yrs and Blaze is 15mths

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Now they lay together almost all day rubbing their teeth on each other's faces!
What do you mean by this? Because my doggies do what I call, comparing jaw sizes... They get growly and teethy side by side and each tries to bit over the muzzle of the other while making chewbaca noises... My doggies do it when one is backed into a corner and has had enough or one is in the way of the other...

All in all, I think it's ok, as long as they don't break into a fight, or one dog keeps going after the other when s/he's had enough or one screams in pain.

goldenblaze
May 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Blaze and Frodo always done this side by side and each tries to bit over the muzzle, since they were babies. Both Golden's 6 weeks apart and play like this everytime they are together never any problems. I would not worry to much about it, even Blaze and Jordie do this alot aswell :)

Cactus Flower
May 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM
It doesn't sound dangerous, it sounds downright adorable!

LittleLoves
May 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Hi folks!

Thanks for all the replies.

goldenblaze, your babies are so cute! Was Jordie mouthy as a puppy? Oscar jumps forward to bite our fingers or noses sometimes and he's so vocal! His growl sounds like a cat hissing. I'm using the spray bottle with a "NO BITE" command to discourage his biting and mouthing.

Prin, What I meant was that Lady will open her mouth wide, and then rub the sides of her face on Oscar, while Oscar chews on Lady's lips, and mouths her. I always have the spray bottle in hand (they are never left alone together) in case it gets out of hand. As soon as Lady sees the bottle she gets up and walks away. Like I said, it looks friendly, but I've never had two dogs at once before and didn't know if this was play or not. Like Kandy said, Lady has the option to be away from Oscar so she must like it.

Question: If I'm spraying Oscar when he bites me or mouths me, should spray him when he does it to Lady?

They certainly seem to have fun together. :)

Dog Dancer
May 11th, 2005, 12:07 PM
What great pals Lady and Oscar look like! My two play that way often too. I wouldn't spray Oscar or he may think he shouldn't play with Lady. Lady will let him know herself if he goes too far. My older dog takes a ton of abuse from the younger one (both are big dogs) but when she's had enough she says so and no harm ever comes of it. Given a choice to do it again I think I'd go big dog little dog with two. These two are a handful, but fun.

Prin
May 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
What I tell people at the dog park all the time is that even if they may be playing, if it looks too rough for you, put an end to it. Only let them do what you are comfortable with. If this makes you uncomfortable, by all means, stop it. I think it's playing, but there are sort of escalation steps in playing and this can be the highest one you allow your dogs to get to. Dogs play as sort of practice for hunting, as well as to establish the heirarchy (among other things), so it can get out of hand.

Personally, I don't tolerate any playing with growling. I always stop it. You can't tell as easily when playing turns aggressive if there has been growling all along. Some dogs always growl when they play, sure, but they aren't going to be playing with my doggies.

goldenblaze
May 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM
OMG if I stopped them from growling when Jordie and Blaze play they would never play again..It sound like Jordie is going to eat Blaze but there in no harm in this in my opinion.

LittleLoves
Thanks I think they are pretty cute too :p Jordie was not mouthy as a pup but does use his mouth to play now. He doesn't hurt as his mouth is so small, he can hold his own though. :thumbs up