Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question

mona_b
May 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM
If a dog has survived parvo,is this dog considered a carrier?

What I mean is the virus still there and can it pass it on to other dogs?

Any info is appreciated...... :)

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 07:58 AM
This is what I found.
How is Parvo treated?
Without intense treatment, the victims of parvo die of dehydration. Treatment generally consists of IV or sub-cutaneous fluids and antibiotics. There is no cure. Veterinarians can only treat the symptoms palliatively, and try to keep the dog alive by preventing dehydration and loss of proteins. As there is no cure for any virus, treatment for parvo is mostly that of supporting the different systems in the body during the course of the disease. This includes giving fluids, regulating electrolyte levels, controlling body temperature and giving blood transfusions when necessary.
Dogs who have survived parvo can get it again. In the case of some puppies, a puppy testing negative for Parvo one day could succumb to the virus within a matter of days. It strikes fast and without mercy. Dr. Cathy Priddle has warned that sulfa drugs have been known to cause dehydration in dogs, suggesting that animals infected with parvovirus should not be given sulfa drugs.

You may also consult a homeopathic or naturopathic veterinarian for alternative Parvo treatments. There are some natural and homeopathic treatments for Parvo on the retail market. Amber Technology offers Parvaid, an all natural herbal formula that the manufacturer claims has helped some animals overcome Parvo.

Will my dog die if he gets Parvo?
This is a very serious disease. Some puppies infected with parvovirus will die despite prompt and adequate treatment. While no extremely accurate statistics are available, a good guess is probably that 80% of puppies treated for parvovirus will live. Without treatment, probably 80% or more of the infected puppies would die.
Due to the high death rate, parvovirus gets a lot of free publicity. Many people just assume that any case of diarrhea in a dog is from parvovirus. This is not true. There are a lot of other diseases and disorders that lead to diarrhea. If you have a puppy, don't take any chances. Have your puppy examined by your vet if diarrhea is a factor in any disease. It is better to be safe than to be sorry.

If your dog becomes infected with parvovirus, he has about a 50-50 chance of survival. If he makes it through the first three to four days, he will usually make a rapid recovery, and be back on his feet within a week. It is vital, however, that he receives supportive therapy immediately. It must be stressed that this is not a bad case of doggy flu; without medical treatment, most puppies die.

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM
And this

Treatment is aimed at maintaining the normal body composition and preventing secondary bacterial infection. Because this is a virus, there is NO CURE. Death from parvovirus results from dehydration, overwhelming secondary bacterial infection, blood loss from intestinal hemorrhage, or heart attack from invasion of the heart muscle by the virus

wjranch
May 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I would think they are not considered carriers, as Parvo is viral not a bacterial. They will have immune antibodies to protect themselves if they've survived it.

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 08:08 AM
And this

Dogs that recover from parvo are often weak, making them even more susceptible to other diseases, such as distemper. Dogs that recover from parvo continue to spread the virus in the feces for a month or longer.

mona_b
May 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys.Guess I should have been more spacific....Sorry.

A co-worker has a 9 year old Rottie.He had parvo when he was about a year old.She was told by her vet that he is a carrier and he would never get it again.

So I was just wondering if anyone ever heard of a dog being a carrier to Parvo.This way I can let her know when I go into work this aft.

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I've never heard of a dog being a carrier for parvo. Being a carrier normally means that you carry the virus but never get the disease. If the dog had the disease, I don't think they could be a carrier. I do know that some human viruses (like rocky mtn spotted fever) can lay dormant in a human's system and attack them every so often, but they can't pass it to someone else. I had a friend whose white shepard got parvo as a pup, and survived. That dog was around my dogs quite a bit and they never got sick. I've never had a dog get parvo, so I don't know much about it. Maybe a vet will answer the question - I just know I've never heard of a parvo carrier.

BMDLuver
May 10th, 2005, 10:23 AM
We went through this not that long ago in rescue. A dog can be a carrier for up to a year after having contracted Parvo. This was told to us by the DMV in Montreal so I would tend to go with it. Once a dog has had Parvo and survived, they will not contract again. Hope that helped.

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
This is why I love this site!! I learn something new every day!

Princesss04
May 10th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Meater had Parvo the vet said that he will never get it again. :D It is so bad when a puppy gets it I hope that no one on here has to go through that with their baby because it is a bad thing.

mona_b
May 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys.... :)

Yes BMD,it sure did help....I will definately let her know that she has been a worry wart for nothing.And Casious had it many years ago.And she has nothing to worry about.

Thanks again.

Not to get off topic,but I am a carrier....NO not to Parvo....LOL

When my Mom was pregnant with me,my older sister had German Measles.She ended up getting a shot and a blood transfusion.I have NERVER had Measled,Mumps,Chicken Pox or any other childhood sickness.And since I am a carrier,if I have been in contact with anyone who has any of these,I have to stay away from pregnant women...I will actually ask a woman if she is pregnant.

twinmommy
May 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM
How does that work, Mona? Where there any dangers when you carried your daughter?? ( not to interogate, I just like info like this, and enjoy this site especially for this reason) :D

mona_b
May 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Actually twin,I can honestly say I was scared to death.I found out I was pregnant at 24 weeks.My doctor knew of my backround and new I was a carrier.I can honestly thank god that I was never in contact with anyone with any of these.My daughter would have been in danger.And who know what would of happened..... :sad:

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I am a carrier for strep throat. Every time a doctor tests me for strep, it comes back positive but I've never actually had it. It was fun as a kid because when the school would do their routine testing (about once every two months) I would get sent home for a couple of days. The school's rule was that if you tested positive, you had to go to the doctor to get the antibiotics and then couldn't come back to school for 2 or 3 days, I forget which. I don't think my mom appreciated it though because she would have to pay for the doctor visit every time. I don't think any doctor ever told her I was a carrier for it, I think she just decided that on her own since I never got any symptoms. I know that someone who is already sick (a cold, flu, whatever) will normally end up with strep if they come in close contact with me. I don't think I've ever given it to anyone who wasn't already sick with something else.

Karin
May 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Once a dog has survived the parvo virus it is no longer infectious. Only when they shed the virus, in an active case, can they infect another dog. Incubation time, from exposure to onset is 10 to 14 days. Parvovirus is a rapid mutating virus, your dog can get infected again, usually by another strain of the virus.

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Would that be similar to chickenpox antibodies? Apparently, even if you have them as a child you can get them again if the first case wasn't severe enough. Your body doesn't build up enough antibodies to keep you from getting them again. I got them for the 2nd time at age 28 and my doctor said that you can get chickenpox again and again until you build up enough antibodies - so I wonder if the parvo virus does the same thing?? If the dog doesn't build up enough antibodies, or the right kind of antibodies, then they can keep getting it until they do?? :confused: A parvo vaccine is part of our pup's shots, so I hope the vaccine works!! :(

melanie
May 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
my aunty had rubella (german measles) when she was pregnant with my cousin chrissy. chrissy coped the worst of it, he is blind, epileptic and severely downsyndrome or retarded what ever you like to call it.

he is now 39yrs old, he is totally dependant on care and cannot get around much without assistance. he is also 6ft 5in and weighs 120 kg, so it is a hard life for my poor aunt, she is on ehr own now my uncle passed and she is having a very tough time of it. he goes into respite once a month so she gets a break, his respite is near my mother house though which is really nice, he loves my mum. although chrissy does have some form of life, he has friends, goes to organised activities and has started working in a disability program where he does laundry for hospitals, so he is pretty happy and lives a good life. my aunt had a secound child that after chrissy is not downsyndrome but has severe learning difficulties which where not sure if related.

moan your daughter was very lucky, what a worrisome time that must have been for you.

that is why it is impoprtant for all us gals to have our rubella shots, but recently i have been told you do need a booster later in life, but i have yet to see any evidence of this need.

so off you go ladies, if you ahve not had it go get your shots (in australia all girls at 11-12yo have the shot, is it the same there)?.