Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Professional Dog Training in Calgary?

chocolatecoffee
May 9th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking for a professional dog trainer in Calgary, and I think that maybe one that would come to the house would be best. Although I love both of my dogs dearly, they're definitely not well behaved and I think they need a trainer. My first dog, Mocha, is fear aggressive due to never being socialized properly and she may or may not have had a traumatic experience - we're really not sure. She barks, snarls, and lunges at dogs about 90% of the time (luckily she's small so she can't hurt anybody, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need training), but she'll never bite, she always keeps her distance. She doesn't know how to play with other dogs either, which might be irreversible, but it's worth checking out. My other dog, Panna, cowers at everything (we adopted her just under four months ago and don't know her past), and even though she's gained a fair bit of confidence while we've had her, she still has a ways to go. So I was wondering if anybody out there had any experience with good dog trainers in Calgary? Mocha attended Petsmart training classes, but they didn't do any good (not saying they're bad, they're just not what we need). I know how to train my dogs to sit, lie down, etc., I just want a professional to help me with Mocha's fear aggression mainly, I've tried to deal with it myself but I think it would be better if I get a professional to help me. I do, however, want to be involved with 100% of the training process, I just need help. Does anybody know of any good trainers? I've been looking at Bark Busters, has anybody had any experience with them? Also, would it be better if we had a trainer come to the house or went somewhere for training? Thank you!

lisa-lisa
May 15th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Oh, I know one!

I just did Puppy Kindergarten with my little guys through South Trail Pet Hospital. The trainer uses non-compulsive methods, like clicker-training, and she was absolutely fantastic! Her name is Colleen McCarvill and she does go out to houses to visit dogs and families as well as running her own doggy school, "Diamond in the Ruff". She addressed a lot of problem issues in class, and there was a family in the puppy class who she visited several times to help with a dog who was having destructive and aggressive behaviours.

She really made training fun for the pups and for the owners and I was amazed at how much my little guy learned in six weeks. (403) 253-6080

Good luck!