Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good sunless tanning lotion?

ANBshilling
May 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Has anyone had a good experience with sunless tanning lotion? I've never used one before. I just know that I'm tired of laying out and damaging my skin. I'm only 25, but I don't want my chest to look like a leather bag when I'm 40!! Don't get me wrong, I love laying out, I just don't want to have to pay for it later.
I have olive skin (don't know if that makes a difference) and really have no clue what brand to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I love tanning and tanners!

I would recommend getting an aresol spray on sunless tanner (**remember to use in a well ventilated area**) It gives you a nice even 'tan' without streaking. . .

I use 'Tan-in-a-Can' by Sunspa - - - its about $30 for a 150ml bottle, but its good for 2 good tans (that last about a week) and touch ups for those two applications. . . It can be used on body and on face. . .

Because its an areosol, you don't get 'orange mittens'. . . :crazy: :crazy:

All home sunless tanners work, but I have found you have to spend a little cash to get one that actually looks like natural tan :p

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I've never used tanning stuff-- My skin burns in literally less than 4 minutes, so I've come to love my skin pearly white. Besides, studying Biology really shows you that a tan is not healthy. As one prof put it, "It's your skin screaming for mercy." I'd rather my skin be just mumbling things..

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Prin,

thats the beauty of Sunless tanners! You rub it on and in an hour or so. . .Volia!!!! Insta-tan! and you didn't have to spend a moment in the sun. . . . :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I've tried a few of them. I like the Yves Rocher ones (Cap Soleil for body and there is one for the face as well). The Lancome Flash Bronzer self tanning leg gel is good, and can be used all over the body except the face (and it has sparkles in it!) I currently use the Neutrogena instant bronze sunless tanner for the face.

I'm super pale (blond) so I have to use it for a few days in a row to see a real difference. I find on me they work better in the summer, as I tan so easily, even with SPF 50 on I will be olive by the end of the summer, then I use the sunless tanner to even things out (in case of tan lines) and I get a tan lasting until christmas. After christmas if I use them, I just look orange..

Karin
May 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I would never use a chemical tan. I love the natural tan method, of course that is my opinion.

To the people who use the canned tanned look....do you feel the same way about using topical flea control for your pets?

By the way, it's easy to tell the difference between someone who uses artificial tan products and those who don't.

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I supose tanning is a catch 22. . .

I agree Karin - a real sun tan looks the best, and if it was safe to spend all sun-drenched moments in the rays I would :cool: :cool: :cool: . . .but the whole idea of 30 types of cancer kinda scares me a bit. . .

I don't think home sunless tanning kits are the same as the 'St Tropaz' spray on booths, and don't pose the same 'risks' . . . .

'Tan-in-a-can' actually looks very natural . . . i've used lots of different types of sunless tanners, and it is by far the best one I've used. . .

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 10:52 PM
That's the thing though. I love white skin. Maybe I hang around too many Japanese girls (apparently if you're white as a ghost, Japanese men find you attractive..) but I really find that white skin looks healthier. My man works outside and I really don't like it when he gets the farmer tan at the end of the summer...

And Karin, I'm not sure but I don't think you burn as fast down there. Maybe I am totally wrong, but people I know go south and never burn but burn like mad here. I think I'd burn anywhere (except Ireland maybe... not much sun there...). This year I have gotten sun stroke once already. On a cloudy day. I have to be so careful...

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 09:25 AM
the active ingredient in sunless tanning lotions is DHA-Dihydroxyacetone

Dihydroxyacetone, the active ingredient in sunless or self-tanning lotions. DHA is a colorless sugar that darkens the skin by staining. It interacts with the dead surface cells found in the epidermis, or the outermost layer of the skin, producing a color change. As the dead skin cells are naturally sloughed off, the color gradually fades, typically within 5 to 7 days of application. People using DHA should be protected from exposure to the entire area of the eyes, the lips and all parts of the body covered by mucous membrane, and from internal exposure caused by inhaling or ingesting the product.

sounds safe to me!

Karin, it's probably because you live in Florida that you would notice the difference. When I was in Florida for a family vacation my sister used a self tanner, and you could tell the difference if you looked really hard. Everyone who lived there though had a tan...so you could tell the tourists and them apart. In canada, our season is so short for warm weather, it's hard to get a good tan. Last summer we only had something like 20 days over 80F...and if it's in the 70's I still wear longer sleeve tshirts and pants.

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 09:30 AM
i have very fair skin, and ive grown to love it,

Like prin I also burn in mere minutes.

ive never done the tan in a can deal because i dont want to look tanned, most people who know me know im fair and never have had any tan. so it would be obvious its a fake tan.

long live porcelain complexions!!!

hehe Eleni

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I too have porcelain skin...but for some reason, only on certain parts of my body. I have a funny skin tone. My skin is light and gets red very easy (very sensitive), but certain parts of my body (neck, arms, feet, torso) is darker than the rest of my body, almost olive toned. My legs and face are the palest.

My skin is also very thin, and I have spider vains, and you can see my regular blue vains as well..and I HATE that. If I just had even toned skin, I wouldn't mind staying pale, but the tan covers up my veins and blotchyness on my face.

savannah
May 10th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Not to get too off - topic, but i once worked at a tanning salon for 2 years, and i literally saw the people age right before my eyes. It was so freaky. I had to maintain a tan to work at the salon (selling the product) but as soon as i quit, i never stepped foot into a tanning salon again. Despite what they tell you, a tan is not safe and there is no such thing as a healthy tan. And i worked for ahemnorthamericaslargestindoortanningcompanycough. Or at least it was when i worked for them. I can go on forever about tanning, but this isn't about tanning.

A good self-tanner, for me, would be by neutrogena. I can't remember what it is called, but it was only for the face. You really have to try different brands until you find the right one for you. You don't want to look like an oompa loompa (as some of them do). I dont think that just because one company worked for me, that it would work for everyone. You really need to experiment (unfortunatly).
And the easiest way to tell the difference between someone who uses artificial tan products and those who don't, is by counting the wrinkles! Just kidding. I do believe anything in moderation is okay.

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Porcelain as well - dry, dehydrated, but not looking too bad for 55 - and my one and only sunscreen has been discontinued. Felt sick in the 50s if I sat in the sun so went inside. Bad burn at 18 when aunt locked me outside to get a little colour - looked like a burst sausage - had to go to emergency. That was last burn - and I went from bright red back to my yellow-toned porcelain skin. I also can tell a real tan from a bottled one. If you want a tanned look, I suggest just using a bronzer - if they suit you - you will probably get a nicer look. Bronzers are too orange on me. Heck everything turns yellow or orange on me. You will have to be very careful with any tanning products you use on your face if you have any allergies or sensitivities.

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
long live porcelain complexions!!!
Here!Here!

Raingirl, do you get more see through when you're wet? I do. When I am cold and wet, my skin gets so white you can even see the deeper veins in my hands...

Does anybody else here burn without changing color? When I burn my legs, they stay white but it burns like a sun burn.

raingirl
May 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah! I get see threw when wet and cold. I actually turn bluish because you can see all my veins!

And yeah, my legs go from burnt to white again with no colour, unless I'm outside a lot all summer.

My bestfriend is Scottish. She is whiter than me, and I'm the blonde! We went to a resort once with my parents for the weekend, and there is a pic of us beside the pool. I was all olive with white hair, she had black hair and white skin.

I should get that pic and scan it.

Karin
May 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
All this talk about tanning last night got me started again. I finally had a day off with no rain in sight..so I spent the entire afternoon culturing melanomas by the pool...and I had the place all to myself for a change. I now have a good start at looking like a native again.