Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, He REEKS!

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Allow me to introduce you to Lou! He absolutely, positively reeks to high heaven. It is a combination of urine, poop and kennel cleaner. He has given me a migraine to beat all migraines. He is matted terribly with mystery items on his legs and the groomers are not available until next week. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do in the interim? My husband is away so I don't think I can wrestle him into a bath by myself with two small kids to keep an eye on. I'm thinking of soaking him with baking soda and peroxide like you do when a dog gets skunked. Would it help? Dying here... :eek:

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 07:09 PM
OMG I'm in love!! He looks exactly like my dog when I was younger, her name was Trixie :angel: RIP!! She was part border colie sheepdog.
shaving him is the best way. Do you have doors on your shower??
We used to put our dog in (with me) and shut the doors, and wash her, they have odour removing shampoo's, but I think that skunk remedy may work.

Lucky Rescue
May 9th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Wow he's beautiful! Irish wolfhound..mix...??

When my brother had to bathe his reluctant and large dog, he would cross tie him like a horse outside and that worked pretty well.

ETA: I see that he's matted, so forget my suggestion. How about your vet? I'm sure they could shave him down.

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM
our downstairs shower has doors. I wonder if we'd both fit in there? He's a Bouvier des Flandres. Good thing hubby is away in case it goes badly I'll have 2 more days to clean everything, lol.

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
so because he is matted I should clip his legs then huh... I'll get out the horse clippers and have a go. It's so busy that I can't get him in for his update vaccines until wednesday. I don't think I can handle the odour until then... it's soaking into my whole house.

Lucky Rescue
May 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I've got someone looking for a young Bouvier!!

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I had better get him cleaned up quick then... :o He's a total puppy at heart. He's spent all afternoon playing by himself with about 5 different balls... kind of like a kid in a candy store attitude. He's so darn happy to be free from AMR. Blech what a gross place.

Lucky Rescue
May 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM
If you want, PM me your email addy and I'll send you the email I got about the dog.:)

These people have an elderly Lab and are not in a great hurry, so take your time.:)

coppperbelle
May 9th, 2005, 09:01 PM
What about giving him a bath outside. It is suppose to be really warm tomorrow. You could use a kiddie pool, tie him to the deck and use the hose to rinse him. Not ideal but better than nothing. Do you have someone who could help you?

CyberKitten
May 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I would do the outsdide thing if possible. My beagle once chased a skunk (There are many wooded areas here) and alas, he ended up really reeking, poor fellow! Mega tomato juice cans later and baths in an outdoor kiddie pool, he was OK.

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2005, 10:28 PM
My one problem is that during the winter our pipes froze on the exterior wall and blew the outside pipes out so no water outdoors yet. I guess I could fill up a bunch of pails and do it that way... Poor dog.. he's going to wonder what he got himself into coming here.. it's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow so I'll give it a shot n let you know how it went. I'll be flying solo with the kids so I bet they get more wet than Lou does. ;)

poodletalk
May 9th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Lou is beautiful! I am wondering if you have a picture of Charlie?
BY the way, where is the pound located?

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Pound is located in St. Constant and is animal control for several west island communities. They take owner surrenders as well as strays in.

Charlie is a black dog, kind of looks like Shepherd and possibly Collie mix? Sophie took him in so he should be on her site soon. :thumbs up

mesaana
May 9th, 2005, 10:40 PM
All I can say is... good luck Jenn!!
Lou's lucky to have you... AMR is such a disgusting place!

Lyne

coppperbelle
May 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
He probably won't be impressed as you bathe him but I am sure he will be thankful afterwards. He can't be happy smelling so bad.

mona_b
May 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM
He is a handsome boy.

You could try a mixture of Vinagar and water.My sister used this mixture when one of her Huskies got sprayed by a skunk....It worked big time...

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I uses baby shampoo on Sam and it makes him smell great.

even worked when i first got him and he smelled like newspaper yuck

and it seems to be very gentle on his skin.

however id get rid of the matts before putting him in the tub, water makes matting worse

Eleni

BMDLuver
May 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Well, I tied him to the deck railing and got pail after pail of warm water. I then used Pert 2in1 shampoo for "bouncing n behaving hair". Lol. Well, he's clean, smells great and almost all of his matts combed out. I only had to cut a few. Now I'll see what he looks like dry. He could probably use a second one but at least he's not a stinky butt any longer. Thanks gang for all the suggestions!

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Please post the after picture ! :D Would love to see that beauty now!

twinmommy
May 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Hey There!!

Was going to come over with mega vat-o-peroxide!!! Sounds like the pert did the trick!! Can't wait to meet the new rescue!! lol :D If you need help, just holler! :crazy:

maddoxies
May 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Damn, it is so frustrating being stuck away from home, in Toronto, not being able to help.

At least he is cleaner now. Deskunk is a great skunk shampoo (for the dogs after a close encounter, not to bath the skunk lol) Deskunk was a household staple for the first two years of Champ's life (RIP).

If the house is still a bit fragrant, boil some vinegar and water on the stove. When it gets to a hard rolling boil, walk the pot thru the house (maybe send kids and dogs outside for a few minutes). This will absorbe odors throughout the house. Great for stinky dogs, smoking fireplaces, cooking odors, you name it.

Can't wait to see the "after" pics

BMDLuver
May 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM
He's having a "bad" hair day! Twinmommy, I need your scissor expertise please! I'm going to make a hash job of it otherwise. :o

Thanks for the potboiling idea Goldengirl! I'm going to do that this evening as we have "eau de Lou" all over the house... :eek:

I must say he's so much happier now though! I'll post a pic once he's been trimmed up a bit as his feet are looking like those Hairy Chickens feet.. dunno what those chickens are called, lol.

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I was at the groomer's the other day when someone brought his dog in that had been "skunked" a few days before. I asked what to do if the groomer's were closed when my dog gets sprayed - I am concerned about the skunk we see every morning. Definitely the Deskunk would be used if I could get my hands on it. If not, I was told to use the baking soda and peroxide - make my dog look as if he were in a cloud of it and then repeat with dog shampoo added to the mix. I have my supplies ready. My Eskimo is our first long haired dog ever - and white - so it would not be a pretty sight.

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM
When this guy gets his Bouvier clip, he is going to be magnificent!

Any word back from the woman looking for one?

BMDLuver
May 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Let's just say that the lady does not wish to give any information over the internet because of spyware but would be more than happy to drop by my house. :eek: I think I will politely leave that one alone.

Lou may have a home though. I am taking him up to the cottage for the weekend to meet my friends Bouvier and two Saints. If he melds in, then he'll be staying. Imagine the freedom of a large private lake and 6 acres of property to play on with a doggy door to come in as you please and a sofa just for you! Heck, I'll stay, he can go home with the kids. :thumbs up