Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ants!!

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
We live in an 8th floor apartment, and yesterday I noticed ants near the kittens food!!!

We have a small tiny bowl of kibble for them to munch on during the day, but they get their wet food (which the ants are attracted to) at scheduled feeding times. . .We've noticed that if the kittens don't finish every last morsle of food in like 5 minutes the ants start to arrive. . .

I've checked the windows, doors, I've sweeped, I've vaccumed, I've mopped the floor, taken out garbage, re-cleaned the litter box. . .

. . .I just don't know where these ants are coming from. . .

I don't want to use ant bait, because the curious kittens have been batting the ants around the floor, and my fear is that they might munch on a bait-ridden ant and get sick themselves :(

. . .I also remember reading a post about raising up bowls off the ground - and how that isn't a great idea either. . .

. . .and suggestions on how to get rid of my unwelcome guests, without fear of making my kitties sick?

Help me please! :( :(

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM
if you live in an apartment, chances are they are coming from another apartment and there is nothing you can do about them unless your landlord sprays to get rid of them.

Those ant bait traps are boric acid and peanut butter. If you hide one (say, back of a cupboard), the ants will go there for food, not the kittens food. Then they track the food back to the queen, and the whole colony dies.

If you do that, take away the kittens food as soon as they stop, even if they have some left, or feed them less so they don't have left over, and feed them more often, so there isn't any food left for the ants. Then they will go for the bait, and you won't see them anymore. and clean the dishes as soon as they are done.

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM
I'm a slave for my dishwasher :p :p :p dishes go right into the dishwasher, and get washed after dinner every night. . . We very rarely have dirty dishes. . . pet peeve of mine. . .

. . . do you think that the ants who take food back to the colony would hurt Marty and Minou if they eat the ants?? . . .

. . . The traps does seem like a good failsafe (after more frequent/smaller feedings) . . .Does everyone think that the kitties would be safe if I used one?

kandy
May 9th, 2005, 05:59 PM
The raised dish thing was about dogs and the increased chance of bloat. I don't think that applies to cats but I haven't owned very many cats, so I don't know if they can get bloat. Don't have any suggestions about the ants - just wanted to clarify the raised feeding dish thing. Good Luck!

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM
haha, fair enough. Thanks for that Kandy. . . I remembered reading the thread, but I didn't remember all the points of the post. . . .

I supose it also wouldnt be a great idea to raise up the bowls, considering just how little the moggies still are :)

levimh
May 9th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I would also keep washing the floor. Ants follow other ants scent trails, so if ants can't find the trails they'll be a little less likely to go certain places. I would put the bait in a safe place (away from kitties) and close to the door (if they're coming from neighbours). I also have ants and I keep the floor clean and they always just keep re-appearing in the doorway...which is more tolerable. :D

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM
. . . .ok. . .so as long as the cats don't have direct access to the bait, they should be ok???

I've been washing the kitchen floor every day. . . . I hope thats enough. . .

It scares me that these critters might be coming from a neighbour. . . I shudder to think whats going on next door! . . .

. . . .thank you for everyone's replies. . .please keep them coming. . .

. . . these ants are crummy!

Joey

levimh
May 9th, 2005, 06:49 PM
You might want to check and see what they'll do to it if you have to put them in reaching distance. Maybe try placing them in front of the kitties and see what they do. If the bait tins (or whatever you use) are small enough you could try putting them directly under the door (if there's a space between the bottom of the door and the floor). I know my cats couldn't care less about the bait tins and one of my cats used to eat the ants if he found them, but they're much older than your cats.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd be willing to hear them as well, as the ants are inviting themselves into my house too (they haven't gotten the hint that they are not welcome).

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I saw some "insect proof" feed bowls at PetSmart. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 7953&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025875&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1115682745098

We used this stuff called Insectigone. You can get it at WalMart or Home Depot. It's a powder that you sprinkle along the edges of the walls, and it's apparently safe for kids and pets.

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM
W4F. .. . I have a trip to the Walmart planned for Friday afternoon. . . i know what I'm getting. . . Thanks for that. . . I really like the fact that its safe for pets. . . :p

Has anyone ever tried those bowls?? How does it work?? It looks just like the bowls the kittens are using right now! haha!

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah, they kind of look like traditional bowls, in that they're double walled (built like the spill-proof bowls). But, if I'm not mistaken, the outer wall of the bowl doesn't touch the ground, only the inner part (does that make any sense at all?? :confused: ). So if the ants try to get into the bowl, they can only climb onto the underside, not into the bowl itself. HTH!

coppperbelle
May 9th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I think the only solution is to spray the area with a ant spray. If you live in an appartment those little guys can come from anywhere.
For now put their bowls in a saucer that has water in it. The ants won't be able to go through the water to climb into the food dish.

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Coppperbell. . .what a great idea! . . . Thanks!

Trinitie
May 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Ants will not cross over coffee grounds. When you make coffee, keep the grounds in an open container and let them dry. Place a small line where you notice the ants coming from. Don't shove the grounds under the baseboards, but make a line right in front. It also makes it very environmentally friendly for your babies.

I would speak to the landlord about the ants. If they're coming from a neighbor's apartment, the problem needs to be addresses before they begin nesting in the walls. If the landlord won't do anything, speak to your local Health office. Keep escilating the problem until you've reached someone who'll listen.

JDG
May 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I tried the water this morning (I didn't see your post yet Trinitie) I'm going to do both for their evening meal . . haha. . .

. . .I still don't know where the ants are coming from. . . I don't want to accuss my neighbours until i'm sure. . .They aren't coming from the hall way though. . .

. . . We are in an 8th floor apartment, it amazes me the little buggers got ALL THE WAY UP HERE!!!

--------
Trinitie, can I use 'non used' coffee grounds?? My husband and I don't drink coffee, but I have some instant in the cuboard for guests. . .

Thanks! :p

Princesss04
May 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I asked my grandma what she did because I know she had a hard time with them getting in the dog and cat food. She said she took a downy dryer sheet spread it out under the food bowl. So sit the food bowl on top of it and she never saw another any again. She changed it about every week. So I guess they do not like the dryer sheets. :D

kayla
May 10th, 2005, 11:14 PM
In parts of Asia they use water to keep out the ants. They put their bowls of sugar inside a dish of water and I never saw ants in the sugar even though they were crawling all around it, very smart!

Daisy's Owner
May 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Vaseline also works. Ants won't cross vaseline either. Kitties love love love vaseline, so it might not work for you.

Trinitie
May 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Trinitie, can I use 'non used' coffee grounds?? My husband and I don't drink coffee, but I have some instant in the cuboard for guests. . .

Thanks! :pTo be quite honest, I don't know if "non-used" grounds will work. I know that used ones work. Can you possibly get people at work to save you some? If they ask what it's for, simply tell them its for your flowers! :D

melanie
May 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
agoodtrap for ants that is pet proof, thick honey in a long jar!!

or just put the food dish in a shallow plate of water, the ants cant swim. ie dish sits on top of a slightly larger dish filled with water (shallow of course).

when we have ants in the kitchen table, we still do the hundred year old trick of standing the legs of the tables in shallow dishes of water, works every time.

and dont worry about them eating them, i had a mate once who was a bit of a grott. ants got into his breakfast cereal, he ate it anyway with his eyes closed and siad it was no differnent, it certasinly did not hurt him, YUCK what a disgusting boy, ewwwwwwww :yuck: