Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone know of any foster homes in Portugal?

justncase
May 9th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I am cross-posting this fsrom another site:

"We need foster homes in the Algarve urgently see text below please Subject: Neglected dogs at open field near Beliche water reservoir Portugal Ladies & gentlemen, We inform you on the sorry state of many of 28 dogs living on a plot down the dirt road to the water reservoir. One is blind with eye infections and several others are traumatized. All dogs are on short chains and depend on discarded oil barrels and refrigerators for shelter. Oil barrels may be functional against rain and wind but become ovens in summertime. Only two small trees and a trailer give shade to a few privileged dogs. Alarmed by a concerned lady we went to the spot expecting to help a man, needing assistance with too high a number of allegedly rescued stray dogs that he picked up from the street. We actually met a man, who now claims to be the owner of these dogs for the purpose of hunting with his friends. As many of the collected dogs are unfit for his intentions we fear for their fate. We fear for the fate of the Beliche dogs as the owner only wanted to part from the most traumatized dog, keeping the other dogs in need in his custody. We question the sincerity of the owner who forbade us to make photographs of the dogs, declared that he has a veterinary as friend and waved a pack of animal passports but would not let us look into them. As we were not allowed to photograph the dogs we also fear that missing dogs are amongst this pack. We understand that authorities have visited the site, disapproving the situation, but have not acted accordingly. Look at the photographs to understand that every day their condition under these circumstances will be worse. Especially for the blind dog, laying in the sun with eye infections. in www.actionagainstpoisoning.com - cry for help - Algarve urgent Please do what ever you can. It is urgent. The sun is hot, very hot in the hills. Action Against Poisning www.actionagainstpoisoning.com info@actionagainstpoisoning.com "

Beaglemom
May 10th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately I don't know of any foster homes in that area of Portugal.

I thought that I would just make a comment. I've been to Portugal a couple of times and must say that I was shocked at all the stray dogs and cats that I saw. It is very different than what we are accustomed to seeing here in North America. People in Portugal do not spay and neuter their animals as much as here. A lot of the pets there are allowed to roam free. They roam the roads (posing a danger to traffic) and are constantly in search for food. In the big cities like Lisbon and Porto, you don't see this as much. But in the rural areas is where you see this as the norm. When I brought this up to some of the locals they just said that it is normal there and nobody really does anything about it except feed the strays to keep them from starving.

I'm glad to hear that there are people who are trying to fix the problem. I hope that these dogs can be helped in time.