Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

workout game??

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Does anyone else have a dog who is convinced that when you work out at home, it's a game?

We've had Odin for three months now and I really want to get back into the routine I had before (work out 3 X a week at home).

I thought that working out after taking him for a walk would tire him out, and warm me up at the same time.

Instead, I have been trying to do pushups for 10 minutes and he keeps crawling under me when I set up and wants to play. It's cute, but incovenient (and I have 2 weddings to go this summer, and I need to tone up!)

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 05:17 PM
My doggies think when I exercise at home, I am being violent and they have to defend me from myself.

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I was doing some warm ups like jogging on the spot and half jumping jacks and Odin kept trying to grab my flailing limbs.

I haven't yet taking out my stability ball...I wonder how he will react when he sees that!!

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM
II haven't yet taking out my stability ball...I wonder how he will react when he sees that!!
Odin says " WOOOO HOOO mommy is it christmas or something!!, cause thats the biggest ball I've ever seen, LETS PLAY!!!! :crazy: " :D

doggy lover
May 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Tucker would do the same, he's ball crazy.

SarahLynn123
May 9th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I haven't even attempted to work out with Shadow around, but Charlie the cat would crawl under me, sit on me while I did sit ups, and both would pout when I kicked them off my mat! They thought I brought it out for them to sleep on!

Cactus Flower
May 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM
My doggies think when I exercise at home, I am being violent and they have to defend me from myself.

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safyre
May 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Justice FREAKED the first time she saw my birth ball (excersize ball basically) she wouldn't stop barking at it. It took her over two hours to even get within a foot of the thing.

Lissa
May 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM
So funny!!! Dodger is the same way - he barks at the elliptical trainer, attacks me with kisses when I do any stretches/exercises on the floor, when I try to hold a yoga pose he jumps on me, he destroyed my exercise ball and thinks that the 3 pound weights are his toys!! Unless I give him a bone while I exercise he won't leave me alone!! Silly puppy!
Melissa

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Good idea!! Somehow it never occurred to me to distract them while I did it... I just stop when they come in the room and start up again when they're done checking on me...

moontamara
May 10th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Doing yoga and talking on the phone long distance are two activities that Casey always gets crated for beforehand (unless I receive the call -- in that case I often give him a chance and then make sure we're on opposite sides of a closed door. He knows how to take advantage of a compromising position and takes full advantage of it!

wjranch
May 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Dillinger seems to think he's adding resistence training to my pilates!! He seems to be everywhere when I sit on the floor to work out.

I have a toy that's really hard to explain, but, it's like a rubber ball, only it's got big holes in it... I slap alittle peanut butter on a couple dog treats, and stuff them in the ball..... it gives me about 20 mins of peace to do my workout video and he gets a yummy treat!

You could give that a try.... If you don't know what kind of toy that is, let me know, I'll post a pic of it for you.

chico2
May 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I do yoga about 5 times a week,to keep my ageing bones supple :D the cats love it :evil: "Mom's on the floor!! Playtime!!!http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/10.gif